Stock motor is good for how many miles?

soon2be03

Established Member
Well I have my eye on a great lightning, built engine everything. But I have always loved the 03/04 cobra's. So I have found a couple in my area at a dealership. They have a little higher miles that I was wanting but for the price its not to shabby. IE 21K with 51K miles. How long are the engines good for?

The reason for the dealership is because I have a 2000 z28 that I will trade in. It has bolt ons and a pretty big converter. I know I might not get what I want, but nobody really wants to buy it.

724COBRA

Established Member
There are not a whole lot of Cobras with high miles from what i can gather, but i think a guy has one on here with well over 80k. I would bet if it was well taken care of and if you take care of it, should be fine.

soon2be03

Established Member
je99gt said:
There are not a whole lot of Cobras with high miles from what i can gather, but i think a guy has one on here with well over 80k. I would bet if it was well taken care of and if you take care of it, should be fine.

I kinda figured that looking at the market place. There is never one with under 35K.

When I get the Lightning(with a forged engine) or the 03 I will be putting a kenny bell on it. Thats why i'm wondering how long the engine will hold together before it shoots the big one.

I had a 99 lightning a couple of years ago and regret trading it in...on my camaro. I wish I would have kept the Lightning.

724COBRA

Established Member
soon2be03 said:
I kinda figured that looking at the market place. There is never one with under 35K.

When I get the Lightning(with a forged engine) or the 03 I will be putting a kenny bell on it. Thats why i'm wondering how long the engine will hold together before it shoots the big one.

I had a 99 lightning a couple of years ago and regret trading it in...on my camaro. I wish I would have kept the Lightning.

I am no expert, but i think it would last longer with a KB on it. The problem with these engines (if any) is not the boost amount, but the heat. KB are more efficient than the Eaton and create less heat. Boost does not seem to cause problems. Watch high speed runs and do some seaches on it. You will find a wealth of info on how to properly care for your car

snackpack

Established Member
The motors are suppose to last over 100K miles. That is only in stock form though.

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
just rolled 16k on mine and running great!

theres quite a few high miled cobra owners on this community i believe, like everyone else i saying no problems. if you treat it right of course.

TGO

Established Member
je99gt said:

there's people on here with over 100k and various other cars online for sale with 120k miles or more.

you don't see too many miles on most cause these are mostly weekend cars. motor durability shouldn't be an issue if the car is properly maintained.

mosconiac

Established Member
Mine lasted 51k but I am confident it would have lasted much longer if I didn't do those damn stupid highway pulls.

BelvedereGTX

Banned
I would say that A pullied STOCK engine will last no longer than 100k miles. It may last that long but it will probably be a noisy engine

TGO

Established Member
03silversvt said:
I would say that A pullied STOCK engine will last no longer than 100k miles. It may last that long but it will probably be a noisy engine

i'd love to know what you base your opinion on.

98Rsnake

Grease Monkey
Established Member
i just bought a 03 with 130k miles. it is bone stock and driven by an old man on the highway. it runs as quiet as a new one and doesnt smoke at all. if you keep the oil changed and dont dog it all the time they will last a very long time.

99SVTcobraVERT

98Rsnake said:
i just bought a 03 with 130k miles. it is bone stock and driven by an old man on the highway. it runs as quiet as a new one and doesnt smoke at all. if you keep the oil changed and dont dog it all the time they will last a very long time.

130k!!!!! wow i gotta ask .....how much did you pay for it?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
98Rsnake said:
Yeah, congrats on the new Terminator! Been following this sale in the Market Forum. This is testimony that if treated CORRECTLY, these motors have the capacity to last a long, long time.

We have two Terms in the MACA with over 80,000 miles and running great. And another two over 65,000 with no problems.

But on the other hand, we've probably had 10 blown motors over the past 3 years as well. The common denominator: All 10 were modified to at least a fairly significant degree (especially in the tuning area....), and all 10 weren't afraid of the drag strip.

Users who are viewing this thread