Votes: 29 32.2%
  • modded and the tick

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • modded and no tick

Votes: 26 28.9%

• Total voters

jimh

Established Member
My car's build date was march or april 2003. I bought it in Nov. The tick showed up at around 500mi. I have 2200 on it now. The head is being replace this week. I am having the Aptem cooling mod installed when they swap the head. I've been talking with a lot of guys that really know the 4.6 motors and they all say it's a good idea. From what I've read and heard it makes sense. after all Ford did from the factory on the passenger side. I plan on modding the motor but wanted to get the kinks worked out first.

Mine was VERY audible. I could hear it from inside the car when driving with a curb or divider on my left, or I was at a light with a car on my left. I could not hear it with the hood up and listening at the head. The injectors are way too loud. But, from outside with the hood closed it was much louder from the drivers side than the passenger side. The volume would change from day to day as well. Last weekend I could hear it with the radio on (not blasting just on) This week it has been much quieter.

jim

eiblish

Established Member
:coolman: 77 votes do not necessarily represent the entire '03 ownership, or even this forum's readership (must be at least 1,000?). But with 40% of voters claiming to have the tick, that is kind of scary. Almost certainly, the tick is more likely to surface with increased mileage.

Could be that replacement heads become scarce, since Ford will no longer be making them. If Ford has any sense that the rate of tick occurence is anyway near this level, it would explain why they are trying to deny as many warranty claims as they can.

Users who are viewing this thread