Votes: 29 32.2%
  • modded and the tick

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • modded and no tick

Votes: 26 28.9%

• Total voters

eiblish

Established Member
:coolman: Much discussion here on Ford Quality and Warranty issues regardin THE TICK, but no real clarity on whether modding (beyond CAI and Catback) increases the risk of getting the problem. Please throw some facts at this question......

Last edited:

lethal

Established Member
This has been debated before. Modded or unmodded you can have the tick, no correlation. If you have it, get the head replaced via the Ford TSB.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I would have to vote in 2 different catagories! I had the tick when I was stock and head the head replaced. I also had the tick show up again after my car was somewhat modified. I pick the car up today after having the 2nd new drivers head installed.

U.M.

venomus 03

Established Member
So, i am curious.......You can have the tick from the factory but you can also have it show up?? I mean it does not have to come brand new it can come at any time?? I have a cobra built in 9/02 and it has been pullied and chipped since 4500 miles and I now have 8200 and no tick, what i am asking is what is the chance I can still get the tick(if any)?

trey193

Established Member
I'd say the chances would be very good that you will at some point get the tick, the way I understand it all the cars will at some point because of the flaw in the head!:shrug:

Brucealeg

Established Member
I have a 1st run 03 and called 800-Ford-SVT to ask. They told me 6 out of every 1000 have the tick. That I shouldn't have to worry about it.

Is this BS??

I took my 03 with 12K miles in to have the dealer check for the tick and they said it didn't have it. I do not have the new blue marked head.

Bruce

venomus 03

Established Member
Well if it is a for sure thing. Would'nt ford have a recall for all the cars. I just don't understand. With all the complaining about the tick and you say everyone will get it just a matter of when I would think Ford would recall the car in for sure no matter what.

oxfordman03

In Denial
Established Member
I have e-mailed several members of this forum to ask for direction on this subject and am awaiting there response which I will share with everyone here. Here is what I know to this point. The problem is a bad casting in the water jacket around the #7and 8 cylinder head (drivers side). This in turn causes turbulence in the coolant flow which in turn causes the valve guides in this area to overheat and" tick". It occurs, as Bruce was told, in 6 out of every thousand built before 11/02/02 but that is just an estimate as they don't know for sure how many are affected. Ford and SVT claim that this is only an annoying sound, they have had zero engine failures due to this and not to worry. At the same time, they recomend that you log the "problem" with your local service person (good idea). My question at this point is the life span of the motor if this is in fact ignored. The only cure at this time is a head swap which I and others don't want done locally by a tech doing his first one. Many are not sure what to listen for. There are several good sound clips on this site. Check them out. This is one of Fords famous silent recalls as this costs them alot and ties up a tech for 3 to 5 days. We need to dog them over this for an official statement of the facts and an absolute fix but in the mean time , don't let this ruin your fun, get out there and drive.

eiblish

Established Member
:coolman: Oxfordman03......
Thanks for what is probably the most helpful post I have read on this problem. Clearly the question of what happens "down the road" when our warranties expire and the tick develops is the most worrying aspect. If there was some means of organizing '03 owners to present a collective demand to Ford for extended coverage of this problem, we could all drive (and sleep)easier. Just not clear on how we can do that?

One thing about this poll does surprise me....most posts on this tick problem are from owners of modded '03's, and yet so far modded owners are not voting that way?

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Originally posted by oxfordman03
All "tick" people check out the APTEN web site at www.apten-us.com. They know the problem and what to do about it.

Yeah... Well only time will tell! I'm on my third driver's side head, but this time I have the Apten mod installed. Well see if the tick returns...

U.M.

00whiteGTvert

Established Member
I just bought a Brand New Yellow 03 built on 2/03 and sitting on the lot since then with just 56 miles.

Started the car, popped the hood, and my 8 year old son said:

Dad, What's that ticking?:)

I bought it anyway and plan on driving it for a bit.

I am going to report the problem to my local SVT certified service department Monday, they also happen to be friends of mine.

I also plan on calling Ford and letting them know about it and get their take on it - just to let them know I know it may not be right.

It almost sounds like the ticking when my header gaskets were not snug on my 5.0, is that correct?:shrug:

Thanks,
Howard

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
No tick.
Built 5/12/03.
5000 miles.
Open filter and catback.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Just wondering how loud is the noise, and is it obviously coming from under the hood, back left?

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Originally posted by 00whiteGTvert
Started the car, popped the hood, and my 8 year old son said:

Dad, What's that ticking?:)

If you popped your hood and heard multiple ticks at one time standing in front of your car it was fuel injector noise and that is normal. Even older cobras have this.

Now if you are standing on the drivers side of your car and hear a distinct single ticking sound from the wheel well or lower then that is the bad one.

You won't be able hear this sound in front with the hood up with all that other racket going on.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I can distinguish mine between the injectors and this "other" ticking noise. For me it is fairly annoying when I go to exit the car, and at idle it echoes from under the car, very consistent with the hit of the engine. Mine is there hot and cold, but it goes away if I take it to 1000-1100 RPM, or I can hold the brake and load it with the clutch down to 500 and it goes away.

Clutch/trans action is smooth and normal, the engine itself is mechanincally smooth.

I actually used a stethoscope and pulled the pcv valve, and didn't get anything. To me the sound is too low to be a valve, but they are so buried in the casting who knows. When I am under the car, I can put my hand on the shift fork, and It is the only thing with the same rhythm as the sound that I am hearing, but pushing the clutch does not make mine go away.

If the cooling fans come on at all, then this tick is almost covered up. It developed it at about 800-1200 miles.
I thought all this crap was gone, as I am talking about a brand new 04.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

riplightning

Established Member
mblgjr, that was one of the best discriptions of the "tick" that I have ever heard.

I have only CAI and exhaust, I had the drivers side head replaced in Oct '03 and the tick was back in late Nov 03. My car is now at the dealer after a ford rep listened to it and they are now calling an SVT engineer to look at the car. Will happen sometime next week. (maybe new engine?)

My car was built before the 11-2002 TSB date.

I8URVETT

Established Member
I havent had the tick 4500mi built on 12/13/02 Mind you I am still stock--I have heard a ticking noise not like a valve but like an exhaust tick which is normal, I had the same thing on my 01GT Hopefully I am one of the lucky ones :bash:

fr03cobra

Established Member
Mine is modded (pulley and chip) and had the head replaced yesterday.:beer:

Last edited:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
mine comes and goes, and its modded. Im not too worried about it until it starts puffin real bad on startup.

Users who are viewing this thread