stock intake pulls to 7400!

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
car was on the dyno most of the day today, it made max power at 6850 and pulled to 7400 where we shut it down. It was only down 8hp from 6800-7400

I did do some home port work to the intake and heads, but I was still amazed when most people seem to say the intake is only good to 62-6400. The car laid down between 10-15 less hp from 3000-5100 with the new set up. Almost a full point of compression loss and the big ass cams did not kill power nearly like everyone said it would. After 5100 the power was close and then from 6000-7400 it took off.

The car idled for about an hour along with several runs the temp gauge never moved past it's normal postition. The idle is amazing!

Don't be afraid of the CAM! these are the largest Comp makes 106500. It's going to be beast with the F1A!

BTW, this was all done on a mustang dyno. I'm not going to post numbers n/a or with nitrous because the car runs the streets around here, lets just say it's better than I had hoped. I guess the wait for the blower won't be as bad as I thought:beer:

JP96cobra

Established Member
What compression are you at? I see you have a built motor so did you increase the displacement any? Last question is what kind of power did you make?

Im going to get these cams with my setup so Im just wondering so I can compare.

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
I'd really like to see numbers :(

they are low:poke:, but he can drive, so.........

some of the best in the business built this motor, I havent seen it finished yet, but should by tomorrow. I have high expectations from it

Last edited:

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
they are low:poke:, but he can drive, so.........

some of the best in the business built this motor, I havent seen it finished yet, but should by tomorrow. I have high expectations from it

lol, just because your car is faster and 10x cleaner you don't have to rub it in.

One thing I forgot to add about the 2500-5000 hp drop is when the car had 3.27's and it has 4.10's now. It's makes a bit of difference on an MD.

No vids, i actually got there today thinking it might be ready but he was still making pulls and playing with the tune. I will video the idle when I get it home. I made a vid today on my blackberry and it you could not even hear it.

The compression is 9:1, maybe just a hair lower, because of the valve reliefs. I will know when I get the build sheet tomorrow. The cams were degreed then advanced 6 degrees. This is shy I beleive my idle sounds so much better than the some of the other cars i have heard on the internet. My car sounds more like stage 2 cams.

Teksid/cobra crank/main girdle/modmax rods/diamond -11cc w/releifs/all ARP/billet trigger wheel/billet oil pump/cloyes hex-a-just/comp xe-278-ah (106500) cams, comp beehive springs and retainers/Kooks 1 5/8-2 1/2 long tubes/termi clutch/and self ported heads and intake/jlt rai.

This car is being set up for a large centri blower down the road so I was not expecting much from the set up because much of what I have read. Needless to say I'm glad I listened to my tuner and the guys at Comp.

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
Cant wait to see it, I'm coming by after work tomorrow

and when the F1 goes on, my car will feel like a turd...

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
ya, ya don't wanna let the numbers out:poke:

106500s advanced to a 106 intake will ahve a lot of overlap, too much for a street driven FI motor.

Last edited:

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Could you perhaps post the dyno sheet itself with the HP/Tq numbers cropped off or covered up? I'd really like to see what the curve itself looks like.

Just for clarification...this is a stock runner-length intake that has been ported?

Thanks!

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
car was on the dyno most of the day today, it made max power at 6850 and pulled to 7400 where we shut it down. It was only down 8hp from 6800-7400

I did do some home port work to the intake and heads, but I was still amazed when most people seem to say the intake is only good to 62-6400. The car laid down between 10-15 less hp from 3000-5100 with the new set up. Almost a full point of compression loss and the big ass cams did not kill power nearly like everyone said it would. After 5100 the power was close and then from 6000-7400 it took off.

The intake is good for 6200 in stock form and when used moderate duration cams. The long duration will extend peak out more and so will advancing the intake cams. Shorten the runners by only 1.5" and your peak power will increase substantially.

How does the torque look?

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
Could you perhaps post the dyno sheet itself with the HP/Tq numbers cropped off or covered up? I'd really like to see what the curve itself looks like.

Just for clarification...this is a stock runner-length intake that has been ported?

Thanks!

sure I could probalby do that, TMhutch is getting a copy also, so he can add to it when he sees the sheets. Yes, I ported a stock intake, but it was not cut open, just as far as I could get down th runners and cleaned up the lid.

I did spend many hours on it and took out literally mounds of aluminum. I did the same with the heads, but left he bowls alone, I don't have any real porting training and I have heard to can do more damage than good when it comes to the bowls.

The torque took the exact same hit the hp did. When you lay the last run in July over this one they (both hp/tq) look identical but about 10-20 hp shy along the curve until 5000 rpms. You have to remember MD, big cams, almost full point drop in compression and 3.27 to 4.10 gears. So that was expeceted. My surprise was the way hp stayed at peak forever.

Old grey, not even close to 400

N/A I know how you feel about these cams, and I have alot of respect for your views, knowledge and the time you spend on the boards. The guys at comp cams have a different view and explained why people have your view. (BTW, I did not buy the cams from them, I got the cams for 600.00 used)

Matter of fact they explained why people have a misconception of the overlap and even laid out a graph showing how my cam would perform. Comp is 20 minutes from my house, so I have the advantage of walking in the shop and spending time there learning.

I do in fact plan on getting my runners shortened and more extensive port work done.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
N/A I know how you feel about these cams, and I have alot of respect for your views, knowledge and the time you spend on the boards. The guys at comp cams have a different view and explained why people have your view. (BTW, I did not buy the cams from them, I got the cams for 600.00 used)

Matter of fact they explained why people have a misconception of the overlap and even laid out a graph showing how my cam would perform.

The beauty of this example is that it proves what I've been saying; tighter LSAs decrease power drop after peak. I've seen 4v cams set at 104/106 and they worked very, very well.

I like the 106500s and know tow people that have made 380rwhp with B headed motors, one has a stock intake. I also have no misconceptions about overlap, it's needed. I also like low intake LCs but without valve reliefs you're limited to how low you can go, hence the reason most people stick with nothing lower than a 112 intake LC and 114 LSAs. I've spec'd a number of longer duration cams with 108 LCs that have made as much low end tq as stock engines and some with moderate duration that have out performed stock cams down low (and made a ton more up top. It's not rocket science, you just have to get people out of the mindset that off-the-shelf cams with wide LSAs are good.

As far as duration goes, I won't sacrifice a power down low unless I can make up for it up top. It't hard to do especially when you have to stay within the rpm limits of the engine and still making good average power. Me, I'm a big fan oaf making as much pre-boost power as pssoibel and then boosting the shlt out it. That way you have a a powerplant that provides great power and driveability when not on boost which makes for a car that is fun to drive. If it makes 360 n/a it will make 720 when it has 15psi thrown at it.

Last edited:

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
and all this time I thought you did not like these cams, LOL. I do have valve releifs and before I do the F1A I planned on upgrading to 05+ 9 thread heads and custom cams from Comp.

I got such a deal on these cams I just could not pass it up. Along with the fact they were installed for free since the heads were all apart getting a valve job. Comp mentioned the same things you did about advancing the cams, i just did not think it was going to work as good as it did.

My goal is 700rwhp with the f1A before the 100 shot. Thats with an 8-rib set up and not a cog.

Users who are viewing this thread