Stock IC pump VS Jabsco VS Diaphragm pump

bomrrman84

Established Member
This discussion is slightly different than the one usually addressed. It's been a while since I posted on here, and I would like to address a cooling issue we all struggle with. We all know the stock IC pump sucks and is prone to wear out. I've gone through 3 since owning my car and one with my lightning. the jabsco or meziere pumps seem like a valid option but, centrifugal pump are prone to break if run for extensive periods and are not meant to be run ALL the time like the applications we have here. my question is this: has anyone tried switching to a 12v diaphragm pump? Centri pumps run high flow, low pressure. Diaphragm pumps run low flow, high pressure. that being said they also seem to be much more reliable, that's why farmers use them for sprayers and such. they do have more parts but that only seems to be an issue on the larger industrial type pump used in factories. the only 2 downsides i could see to using a diaphragm pump would be:

1. Noise: Diaphragm pumps are noisy and need a rubber mounting bracket. not even something most people installing one would care about since the noise from exhaust, fuel pumps, blower ect. are already loud. function over form, we are talking 1/4 mile applications here. long story short, I could live with the noise.

2. Pressure: This one is a little more serious. could the intercooling system handle the pressure delivered from this type of pump, even though it is low volume? IE: get bigger lines, and the pressure goes down. The pump may not even flow enough to be efficient on our applications so some testing would have to be done. the biggest thing I would worry about would be the intercooler possibly bursting but, those are rated to much higher pressures than suggested here. possibly blowing off lines but, if you do it right the first time, there should be no drama. I figure since its low flow, high pressure, it evens out in the end. you may just have to let the system build pressure for about 20 sec on initial start up.

I've posted two similar pumps and see what you guys think trying to get outside the box here and make things more efficient and reliable. I think the diaphragm pump thing could work very well! The links to explore are below. any feedback would be great, and I know we have some very smart folks here. If I get enough feedback I may bench test this and see if its better or not. Thanks again guys!:coolman:

Centrifugal pump: http://www.imarineusa.com/jabscolowpressurecycloncentrifugalpump12v.aspx

Diaphragm pump: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/delavan-powerflotrade;-5800-series-diaphragm-pump

Last edited:

NGO

Established Member
All I can tell you is that I changed out my stock IC pump for a Jabsco and in an open tracking envrionment, it didn't do squat to lower my IAT2 temps.

racebronco2

Established Member
I can tell you i have the Meizere pump and my temps lowered by 20*. I have all the cooling mods including the vented hood. That is probably the difference between NGO and my set-up.

Rich-C

Established Member
I've been running the jabsco for a few weeks now with success. I also upgraded the I/C tank at the same time. Out of curiosity, why do you thing the centrifugal pump will wear out sooner than other pump styles?

I don't have any scienfitic proof to say that my setup is better than stock, BUT when I cruised back home from a car show with a friend of mine with a cobra that had the stock setup, my I/C fluid was MUCH cooler than his at the end of the night.

bomrrman84

Established Member
the reason i think that the centrifugal pump will were out sooner is because its constantly running. the bosch unit especially since its case fills up with that black dust from the motor after being on the car for a while.

After doing more research im putting the pieces together: the diaphragm pump is used in applications such as pressure washers and such so, unless you could find one with low enough pressure and high flow, probably not practical. i just like the design because the pump doesn't have to be primed. also, it would leave the water in the H/e and intercooler for about the same time as the stocker but most it more steadily. just a little more pressure like i said.

Im also seeing that with my mods, the Meizere pump that Lethal Performance sells seems like a viable option instead of me playing mad scientist in my garage. Thanks for the input guys. I'll make another post if i ever test my theory.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I think for an intercooler system pump I would be more inclined to run a centrifugal pump which has a linear output over a diaphragm pump which is a "pulsed" output and not a very smooth running system. Coolant is a very heavy substance to move thru the plumbing where the diaphragm needs to "displace" the liquid and has an intake and exhaust cycle just like a piston engine pushing it thru valves
banana_love.gif
..........not a very efficient method for moving a high volume of coolant. A centrifugal pump just uses a spinning impeller and is more akin to a turbine engine :rolling: .........very good method for moving a heavy media in high volume such a water.

Diaphragm pumps have there place but I don't think this is one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread