Stock exhaust + off road H pipe = too loud!

Don03cobra

Established Member
I'm floored that taking the cats out made THAT much difference.
Its unreal - it sounds as loud as my 90's fox body with long tubes, no cats , and flowmasters... I'm really surprised how loud it is.
Idling is fine, actually sounds good... driving up to 3K in each gear is borderline too loud.. and stepping into it is really obnoxious.
Im 15 years older (and wiser) since my last 10 second fox body (I'm now 51) and I guess my age could contribute to how loud it "seems" to me.
My question, anyone have any suggestions of an axle back that will quiet it down? I have stock axle back and stock manifolds now.
I may have to put the stock H pipe back on...

2010 Shelby vert
TS blower
2013 injectors
over sized heat exchanger with dual fans
Runs like a striped ass ape but too loud!

nrmustang

Established Member
I just did exactly what you did. I swapped out the stock cat-pipe for the Lethal o/r H, and hate the rasp even with the stock mufflers.

This might sound funny, but I put the stock cat-pipe back in, and now I have a completely stock exhaust - and love it. My wife and I just took the Shelby on a 6 hour round trip, and it was great. I'm planning on welding in some resonators and then hoping that will keep the sound down once I go back to the o/r pipe.

RBB

Established Member
Nothing is quieter than the stock mufflers. If you'd like to keep the offroad pipe but find it too raspy why don't you have a couple resonators welded in? Should still sound much better than stock, but kill the rasp.

Sielmo

Established Member
Added LT (Stainless Works) with HF cats, and H pipe...same issue. Got rid of the stock cans and added a Borla Touring series. Absolutely no rasp. Before going with Borla, I experimented with an aftermarket system that used Turbo chambered and it was not much better. I then added resonators and it was still raspy and Farm truck like. Finally licked my wallet wounds and got the Borla and couldnt be happier.

Harry08

Established Member
WOW. I did the exact same thing on my 08 but found it slightly quiet. Louder than stock but still easy on the ears. I tried a set of 2008 Bullitt mufflers and like it. Has a deeper sound but not over the top loud. BTW I'm 51 as well. Good luck in your search.

nxhappy

Established Member
I just did exactly what you did. I swapped out the stock cat-pipe for the Lethal o/r H, and hate the rasp even with the stock mufflers.

This might sound funny, but I put the stock cat-pipe back in, and now I have a completely stock exhaust - and love it. My wife and I just took the Shelby on a 6 hour round trip, and it was great. I'm planning on welding in some resonators and then hoping that will keep the sound down once I go back to the o/r pipe.
didn't you just list your car for sale? lol

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
That's odd, I find the o/r h barely louder than stock. Maybe because I started with the o/r x, now that will wake the dead at wot.

nxhappy

Established Member
I like the stockers with the H pipe. But it IS raspy. Maybe some resonators will help.

Joewee500

Established Member
I just changed the rear mufflers on my car with headers and catless xpipe. I had JBA axle backs and it had a good sound. I had two Aero 3040i mufflers with built in 4" tips welded in their place. Super Loud and raspy but I'm okay with it for now. Sounds like a NASCAR. There is some added interior vibration at initial start up. I purchased the AR30 resonators but they won't fit under the car. If I get tired of it I will buy some Mbrp resonators with4" case to fit.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The resonators that you weld in before the stock mufflers take the raspy and popping on decel out and sound great

So basically what you guys are saying is that with an O/R H, you want to swap OTA pipes with a mustang GT. Built in resonators, factory fit and finish. $180 each new from AN Ford WBL

gameovergt

Established Member
I just ordered 2 Schoenfeld Headers IMCA930 Muffler 3 Inch O.D., 10 Inch Long mufflers to have welded into the offy h pipe before AB. Hopefully I can achieve what you were looking for and keep max exhaust flow!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
unless I change my mind.. the stock pipe going back on.
Reading through your posts, I've got this feeling that if you go back to the setup you had, you'll be very happy. Your wallet will smile, too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread