Stock Brakes Need To Be Replaced - what are my options?

1998Venom

Established Member
I have a 98 Cobra, and this is my Daily Driver. Its in great shape, however the front callipers are seizing and need to be replaced. Ford only has remanufactured driver side callipers in stock. Do I have other options (ie will Mach 1 or 03/04 Cobra bolt directly onto my existing setup)? Would these be a low cost upgrade? Thanks for the info.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I think you have plenty of options available. If I am not mistaken all 96-04 cobras use the same brakes all around. also like you say, other trim levels like the bullitt and mach1 may have use the same brakes.

not only that, but I think all the aftermarket companies like baer, etc sell replacement cobra calipers and upgrades. best of luck with it.

CJHAMIL

Pew Professional
Established Member
I would opt for the Cobra R kit. It is a solid system all the way around and well worth the money.

1998Venom

Established Member
I think you have plenty of options available. If I am not mistaken all 96-04 cobras use the same brakes all around. also like you say, other trim levels like the bullitt and mach1 may have use the same brakes.

not only that, but I think all the aftermarket companies like baer, etc sell replacement cobra calipers and upgrades. best of luck with it.

Thanks for confirming. If the remanufactured options get close to a complete replacement in terms of cost, I'll look at the aftermarket option. Is there a preferred aftermarket setup for SN95s?

97PacificGreen

Established Member
The 03/04 calipers should be able to fit without any modifications. If I were you I'd purchase a nice set of used calipers from a 94-04 (almost certain 94/95 cobras had the same brakes too) and ftbr had a pretty nice kit for slotted rotors/pads specifically for sn95s. When it comes time I'll be purchasing their kit

03cobra 87GN

Established Member
The cobra r kit is definitely worth the money and it bolted right in my 03 cobra using factory holes. It comes with new rotors and 4 pot brembo calipers and ss lines. It was a super easy job. And I believe your brakes are the same as an 03-04. Aren't they the pbr floating calipers?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

HELLFYR

Back in the game
Established Member
The cobra r kit is definitely worth the money and it bolted right in my 03 cobra using factory holes. It comes with new rotors and 4 pot brembo calipers and ss lines. It was a super easy job. And I believe your brakes are the same as an 03-04. Aren't they the pbr floating calipers?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

This...
Super easy, HUGE difference in stopping when paired with a set of race pads. HAWK HP+ will send you through the windshield the initial bite is so hard. I've found the perfect pad for street/mild race use is the EBC yellow with the Cobra R setup (tried what seems like at least 2 dozen variations). Has good initial bite and doesn't seem to fade at all under repeated heavy use. Dust is fairly heavy, but could be due to my brake cooling ducts blowing it through... not sure.

so_r_crazy

Established Member
You can get replacements off rockauto for pretty cheap. Local guy on local forum used them and did a write up, and it was pretty cheap compared to other options.

1998Venom

Established Member
Thanks to all for your input.

Given that it is a daily driver and a limited production car, I have 2 goals with my car - stick with OEM, and if not an option, upgrade. As such, I kept looking for exact replacements and found complete front and rear kits at www.speedconcepts.net at a reasonable price. I'm happy with the find, and appreciate your assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread