Stock blower failure?

A DuB

Established Member
Has anyone experienced a stock blower or blower bearing failure? My car is acting funny and im leaning towards something blower related. It stared breaking up at full boost. So when i got home, i popped the hood and the engine had a faint smell of something burning. Kind of plastic & metal. Nothing on the exhaust manifolds, everything looked good. The smell was coming from the engine area. I was poking around while it was idleing and noticed that the blower sounded real "notchy" almost like a faint grinding noise. I never noticed this noise before. Anyone have any idea's or similar experiences? The car is a 2010, completely stock with 9000 mi on it. It still has the bumper to bumper warranty but i was curious of what you guys thought.

Thanks

Sinovac

Established Member
Loosen the belt and spin the supercharger pulley by hand. You will easily detect any problem with the blower.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Take the belt off and put your finers on the pulley rotating it. Then give it a spin to see what you hear.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I would doubt very seriously if this an Eaton problem. Very durable blowers. But, good thing that you are under warranty nonetheless.

A DuB

Established Member
Well i dropped the car off yesterday. Today i got a call from the dealer and they informed me that the blower snout bearing has failed. A new blower will be here in 4 days.

On a good note, i asked them to look at the rear end because it was making a whining sound. Turns out the carrier bearings are bad in that and they are going to fix it under warranty. They told me they will put in any gears of my choice if i supply the gears. So im getting a set of 3.73's installed for the cost of parts! Special thanks to Andy (rdsnk46) for the gearing advice!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Well i dropped the car off yesterday. Today i got a call from the dealer and they informed me that the blower snout bearing has failed. A new blower will be here in 4 days.
Wow, it was indeed a blower failure. I stand corrected. Good to hear Ford coming through for you.

mullens

Established Member

On a good note, i asked them to look at the rear end because it was making a whining sound. Turns out the carrier bearings are bad in that and they are going to fix it under warranty. They told me they will put in any gears of my choice if i supply the gears. So im getting a set of 3.73's installed for the cost of parts! Special thanks to Andy (rdsnk46) for the gearing advice!
Must be a '10 thing with the carrier bearings. Mine were shot at 4k miles.

TX_500

Established Member
Glad to hear the dealer is taking care of you with no issue. Can't tell you how many threads I've read about ford dealers giving guys the runaround with their GT500s... Especially when it's something drivetrain related.

Users who are viewing this thread