Stock 95 5.0 motor w/ PTK turbo Kit

ls1eater

Established Member
hey, just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with how much a 94-95 5.0 engine can handle? I was thinking of doing up my 95 Gt with the PTK turbo kit (intercooled) and wanted to run 8 psi on a bone stock engine. @8 psi it should make around 425 and 500 respectively. this will be with the Gt76 turbo option. can the sn 95 5.0's handle that much? and for how long? I dont plan on exceeding 450rwhp with this car for at least a year or so. Ill be building a bulletproof bottom end right after i finish the turbo kit install. and if possible someone may be able to find me a better price on a turbo kit than ptk's. and what about the stock auto tranny from a 95 gt? will it hold up to the power or no? thanks in advance for all the help. -Ryan

94CobraPace

Established Member
The 95\94's have hyperutectic pistons, which are not the best for power adders. If you DO NOT have any detonation, the engine might live for a while if you don't beat on it. With a good tune, it "should" last if no detonation occours. It also depends on the condition of the engine before the turbo is added. The 5.0 blocks are only good for around 500 hp before they start becomming 2 pieces.

Jackie Chan

getin' slizurd on da goos
Established Member
there are plenty of guys running around on the non-forged pistons and turbo kits. I would add some gt-40 heads and intake at least with some cometic HG's(maybe...seen a lot of people spit them out too so who knows).

With a decent tune and 8-10psi it could let go right away or run for awhile. just remember, even with h/i it will probably make peak power at 5k so stay away from the revs, and if it holds together initially, keeping the revs down should let is last a little while

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
The tune is going to be the deciding factor when it comes to how long it lasts. The hyp. pistons sucks for boost and the block isn't rated to much more the 500. Find someone who knows their shit when it comes to tuning and hope for the best.

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
fiveo'cobra said:
a stock auto tranny is not gonna like 450whp either.
+1 If you beat on it, that tranny won't be much more than a boat anchor. I recommend you get that thing beefed up or get yourself a new one. Hey you could also try HELLION turbo's they are pretty good. IF my memory serves me MM&FF's did an article like two months ago on one installed on a stock fox. Try them out too.

Jackie Chan

getin' slizurd on da goos
Established Member
goto turbo mustangs and read from people that know what they are talking about. a t-5 will,more often than not, be ok as long as you dont power shift it

torchred2000gt

Established Member
FYI, speed shifting is harder on everything than power shifting. Sometimes I think stock T-5's were made of glass, they don't hold up well at all, especially to forced induction. That block is going to split up the valley.
Rob

cobra4075

Established Member
I'm installing a custom turbo kit from Turbo Time very soon. My short block is stock. I'm going with a FAST set up to keep it together until I can afford the Dart. I'll post the results of the dyno-tune in a few weeks.

crystal_SVT

Established Member
the block isnt gonna split.. theres plenty of guys runnin 500+ hp on the stock block. an on a bone stock 215 hp 5.0 i dont see him hitting over 400 to the tires with 8 psi.. that being said the block will be just fine, but the aod will be a hit or miss on how long it holds up. if ur stayin aod make sure u gett a bigger stall to get the boost up off the line. the internals also should be ok with a safe tune. good luck

torchred2000gt

Established Member
crystal_SVT said:
the block isnt gonna split.. theres plenty of guys runnin 500+ hp on the stock block. an on a bone stock 215 hp 5.0 i dont see him hitting over 400 to the tires with 8 psi.. that being said the block will be just fine, but the aod will be a hit or miss on how long it holds up. if ur stayin aod make sure u gett a bigger stall to get the boost up off the line. the internals also should be ok with a safe tune. good luck
Wrong. 5.0 blocks splitting is a very common problem on stock blocks.
Rob

torchred2000gt

Established Member
500 is around when they start to twist and crack. :) Good luck friend. I feel you'll be ordering a new R302 soon lol.
Rob

crystal_SVT

Established Member
500 hp is not the magic number either. theres guys i know personally who've made well over 500 on the stock block an never had a problem. dont believe everything u read.

torchred2000gt

Established Member
If you have 500 horsepower on a stock 5.0 block, you are pussyfooting that thing everywhere if it has lasted 2 years. Give it some gas. :lol:
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread