stock 5.8 longevity

USV8PWR

Established Member
I was just wondering how long a 5.8 eng would last as a daily driver with normal maint.

I bet these 10,000 or so niche line engines, percentage wise, last problem free a lot longer than any of Ford's mass produced Ecoboost engines! :poke: There is ALWAYS something that will eventually go wrong with a turbocharged engine, just give it time.

mullens

Established Member
Just like diesels, these engines are overbuilt to take the stresses of forced induction. If you stay stock or close to it and don't beat the sh** out of it, they should last well over 100k.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I spoke with an FRPP calibration engineer about this at SEMA. Justin from VMP and a couple of SVTP moderators were nearby. He mentioned that some of Ford's durability standards had to be "compromised" in order for the '13/'14 engine to pass. That is not to say that the engine didn't pass most every seriously stressful benchmark - it obviously did.

Service the engine properly and don't do stupid things to it and I'm quite sure it will return the favor with a long and productive life.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I had a 100,000 mile '03 Cobra, and it was as good (or maybe even slightly better) as my other two low mileage cobras.

The key is maintenance. Change the fluids, keep it tuned up, fix anything that needs fixing throughout the years, and it will go well beyond 200,000 miles without any major work needed.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
The engineered life span of 99% of cars in 100,000 miles.
What are you talking about? I have a nissan maxima with more than 215K mi. still running strong and not blowing any smoke and I used to own a 1998 nissan Quest that had more than 220K mi. when I got rid of it. I disagree especially if you use synthetic oil.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
When I traded in my 2012 GT500, it had 57,500 miles on it. Beaten on daily, never had any problems, and was perfect when sold. I wouldn't worry about it. Take care of it and it will be fine.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
As long as all th proper maintenance is done and you have a good tune in it, you should be fine.

Regards,

Manuel

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
I don't see how the longevity would be reduced from the rest of the ford mod motors if you don't rev the piss out of the engine frequently. The stroke is the same as the 5.4 right? So the piston speed is not exceptionally high and the compression is not outrageous as long as your not in the boost all day long AND it's got Ford's best parts in it already. Seems like a win win.

MCDEV

Established Member
I would be curious about the longevity of the supercharger before the engine myself. Correct me if I am wrong but this engine seems really beefy right from the factory with some pretty hard core components as far as OEM goes.

The only reason I bring that up is because this is my first forced induction vehicle so I have no other first hand experience other than lots of reading about how it can/will cause problems over time eventually. However all of that reading I did was in relation to adding a supercharger to an engine that was not designed with one from the beginning (Stock LS3 V8 in an SS 5th Gen Camaro 6SPD). Anyone have high mileage on a factory supercharger/turbocharger? Specifically a Ford? I would love to hear some opinions/experience on this.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Someone here has over 300,000 on their 03 cobra. They've replaced a couple head tick heads but it still runs good.

I would expect 200,000 miles minimum if i bought one to daily drive.

Last edited:

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I would be interested to see where you gathered this bit of information from.

As for the OP's question, with normal required maintenance these engines can last for hundreds of thousands of miles. Some of the terminator folks are well into the 300k+ club and that is with a good bit of mods.

+1000

In Europe, many of the cars make 400Tkms, especially the diesels...

shelbysurfer

you want to know how many miles Ford expects the engines to last? Check Fords extended warrantys for the vehicle, and what is the highest mileage warranty that they sell. Then look at the price of the warranty, they expect on average for most of the owners to spend less than the cost of the warranty at that mileage, so that they can make money selling warrantys. They have all the life expectancy info and cost for repairs and do nothing but make money on the extended warrantys. A quick search on Ford ESP's I see mileage component warrantied to 200K kms or 125K miles. So I would say that would be the minimum expected mileage the engine should last with reasonable maintenance. Of course as expected many have reached much higher mileage. I suspect Ford expects a majority of the engines under reasonable use and maintenance to reach at least 200K miles, and the major engine failure rate to be in a very very low percentage at the 100K mile, kind of like a bell curve, they will warranty the engines while they are still in their prime.

Last edited:

Bllit11

Established Member
I was just wondering it,s not a daily driver i have a f150 for that. I just read about some engine failures and i'm getting the mod bug lol. Already have mpss tires. Hell i've almost had the car 2 yrs in july hard to believe i ordered it 2 yrs ago march 30th it's been a great car other than the original clutch and a bent axle lol

Turbosixx

Established Member
I'd expect 200k miles out of a Shelby if properly maintained. I doubt we'll ever see one with that kind of milage. Most people that have them are using them as "pleasure" vehicles.

USV8PWR

Established Member
you want to know how many miles Ford expects the engines to last? Check Fords extended warrantys for the vehicle, and what is the highest mileage warranty that they sell. Then look at the price of the warranty, they expect on average for most of the owners to spend less than the cost of the warranty at that mileage, so that they can make money selling warrantys. They have all the life expectancy info and cost for repairs and do nothing but make money on the extended warrantys. A quick search on Ford ESP's I see mileage component warrantied to 200K kms or 125K miles. So I would say that would be the minimum expected mileage the engine should last with reasonable maintenance. Of course as expected many have reached much higher mileage. I suspect Ford expects a majority of the engines under reasonable use and maintenance to reach at least 200K miles, and the major engine failure rate to be in a very very low percentage at the 100K mile, kind of like a bell curve, they will warranty the engines while they are still in their prime.

If you had read this thread from the beginning you would have seen I had already stated this point back on 2/26/14. ;-)

But welcome to the forums!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread