stock 5.8 longevity

Bllit11

Established Member
I was just wondering how long a 5.8 eng would last as a daily driver with normal maint.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Ha, I was hoping this was going to be 'as horsepower increases' kind of discussion. But, at least 10k because that's my mileage at this time.

carguy19

Established Member
If taken care of and not beaten on ford motors are proven to last very long... F150 trucks and Crown Vic/Interceptors are proof of this.

GT500-lolz@MPG

Established Member
The engineered life span of 99% of cars in 100,000 miles.

I would be interested to see where you gathered this bit of information from.

As for the OP's question, with normal required maintenance these engines can last for hundreds of thousands of miles. Some of the terminator folks are well into the 300k+ club and that is with a good bit of mods.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Leave the engine alone and it will leave to 100k miles, if you do decide to mod, make sure you use a experienced tuner like John Lund or Justin at VMP

USV8PWR

Established Member
The engineered life span of 99% of cars in 100,000 miles.

No, most engines are fine until 100K miles and at which point most manuals call for only new plugs and/or a very minor tune up.

OP I read somewhere that most modern engines these days, properly maintained and not beat on too bad, are able to go approximately 250K before a major overhaul is needed. Now whether or not that is true I don't know. But here is what I logically do know; ultimately, Ford is 99% confident it will go 60,000 miles before any warranty work is needed as that is when the powertrain warranty ends. However, for not that much more money Ford is willing to further extend the warranty on this amazing engine for up to 7 years or 125K! So again, that in effect should tell you something!

My educated guess based on the information I provided is that these engines/powertrains should comfortably go 125K miles without needing much of anything except routine maintance and plugs. :beer:

Last edited:

heatsoaked12

Established Member
My Savana work van has 400 000 kilometers on it without burning a quart of oil between changes and still runs well. Our previous Ford E250 had 365000 kilometers as well and never failed on us. Just before we gave it away I floored the gas pedal in neutral for a solid minute and it held together! Todays engines are tested like never before and will last with proper maintenance.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I thought Ford tested the Terminator engines to 150k mile durability standards and alternated between peak torque and peak rpm for 3 weeks straight or something. So I imagine the Trinity was tested to at least 150k mile durability standards.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member

As for the OP's question, with normal required maintenance these engines can last for hundreds of thousands of miles. Some of the terminator folks are well into the 300k+ club and that is with a good bit of mods.

+1.

These should easily go over 100,000 miles.

Tom

tkeinia

Established Member
my mom has a 1998 ranger that was bought new and now has close to 200,000 and still used everyday. Only regular oil changes and tune up done and i think only one new clutch has been done.

BahnRunner

Established Member

If stock and all maintenance conducted in a timely manner, 200,000 plus

I'm with you guys. 100,000 miles used to be a benchmark for cars of the pre mid 80's. Cars these days last way longer. Properly maintained I see no reason why these cars wouldn't go 200,000 and beyond. If a car this day in age can't go 100,000 miles it's probably a Dodge.

Users who are viewing this thread