Stock '12 GT500 vs Full Bolt on '13 5.0

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member

I was pretty surprised how well the coyote ran, I'm definitely in need of some mods.

sono

Established Member
Seems like they crippled the 12. Yes you ran damn good, but even with a tune the 12 wakes up.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Seems like they crippled the 12. Yes you ran damn good, but even with a tune the 12 wakes up.
What do you mean crippled? I'm looking at vmps upper pulley and intake kit, I'm hoping that'll put the car where it should be.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Non trinity GT500s are absolute DOGS until you spend the first thousand bucks.

Tune, pulley, intake for 07-09 guys.

You, however, can get away with just tune and pulley and the car will gain 75hp EASILY.

Will feel and run like a totally different car. Probably trap over 120 mph too.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Non trinity GT500s are absolute DOGS until you spend the first thousand bucks.

Tune, pulley, intake for 07-09 guys.

You, however, can get away with just tune and pulley and the car will gain 75hp EASILY.

Will feel and run like a totally different car. Probably trap over 120 mph too.
I'm debating on doing just the vmp pulley, intake and tuner kit or adding their dual 67 TB or deleting the cats.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I dont get it.... thread says "stock" shelby but youtube link says it has axle-backs. Thread says "FBO" 5.0 and youtube notes the mods for the 5.0 which show the car is more like LBO. :confused:

Anyway... regardless of that, 500 did better than expected to be honest (going by the mods on youtube).

Kiohtee

Established Member
I dont get it.... thread says "stock" shelby but youtube link says it has axle-backs. Thread says "FBO" 5.0 and youtube notes the mods for the 5.0 which show the car is more like LBO. :confused:

Anyway... regardless of that, 500 did better than expected to be honest (going by the mods on youtube).

See, I just didn't want to have to be the first one to point it out. Again. Not with OP in particular, but just in general. I normally start a significant shit storm.

A truly FBO Coyote should lightly walk a bone stock GT500 (non-Trinity). Meaning something like this; PMAS CAI, monoblade/twin 67mm TB, CJ IM, longtubes and cat-back, etc.

5.0 actually did really good considering the mods.

reeve_ryan

Established Member
My gt500 started in this exact way. I ran a buddy's 5.0 with similar results (think he actually may have pulled). The first round should be VMP tune and an off-road x-pipe, you can add a pulley later or just skip the BS and buy a used TVS.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
At minimum you need a new heat exchanger. I was surprised at how much heat soak I was getting before I switched to the VMP HE. I didn't notice the loss of power until I went for a drive after the install.

Google some images of aftermarket, fanned heat exchangers to the stock one. The stock unit is a joke.

Then get the VMP 800hp kit and have a rematch with your friend.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
See, I just didn't want to have to be the first one to point it out. Again. Not with OP in particular, but just in general. I normally start a significant shit storm.

A truly FBO Coyote should lightly walk a bone stock GT500 (non-Trinity). Meaning something like this; PMAS CAI, monoblade/twin 67mm TB, CJ IM, longtubes and cat-back, etc.

5.0 actually did really good considering the mods.

How so? The 11/12 GT500 is 550hp at 3800lbs. The Mustang GT 435 at 3700lbs.

Which would mean the FBO 5.0 would have to gain 100hp(up to around 455rwhp) just to be even power to weight.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

Which would mean the FBO 5.0 would have to gain 100hp(up to around 455rwhp) just to be even power to weight.

IMG_8903.JPG

I can tell you dont have much experience actually racing.

Kiohtee

Established Member

I can tell you dont have much experience actually racing.

This. Politely now, put down your notebook and calculator and go grab your keys and play. It's a totally different world out there.

Just look at what GTRs and Teslas are doing (I know, I know, AWD.). They're defying what's "supposed" to happen. Even C6 Vettes to a degree.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I ran what I would assume was a bolt on 5.0 in my gt500 and was surprised at how well he kept up.

I need nawwwwzzzzz

Good race though!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
This. Politely now, put down your notebook and calculator and go grab your keys and play. It's a totally different world out there.

Just look at what GTRs and Teslas are doing (I know, I know, AWD.). They're defying what's "supposed" to happen. Even C6 Vettes to a degree.

Are we speaking of highway runs or drag?

The bottom line is that you run what you have. It is interesting that 15 GT's who are slower than the 11-14 and significantly slower than the boss. Now this bolt on is somehow faster...

But if it beats a 11/12 gt500 it's all about the boltons and not the driver or any other hundreds of variables.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Non Trinity gt500s are dogs stock.

My 2014 coyote with only a tune and Intake would man handle my gt500 in stock form.

stangfreak

Established Member

100%. I tell people race a lightly modded c6 z06 from a roll making 490rwhp and see what happens. People be like, but its only 490! How did it do that!

Users who are viewing this thread