Stock 07 rear? How strong

TerminatorSVT03

Established Member
Curious to see how strong the stock 07 gt500 rear is at the track on a tire.
I don't plan on launching off of a 2 step or any clutch drops lol but my car makes a little over 700 rwhp and a littler nervous about the rear. From what I'm hearing it's a 31 spline rear but wanted to get other people's first hand experiences with it

breoland

Established Member
Weakest link in the drivetrain. I even upgraded to a Torsen and broke that too

Darren5.0L

Triple Supercharged!
Established Member
I broke my factory 3.31 gearset at stock power levels with a MT DR the first summer of racing. After the replacement I haven't had any additional issues and have got about 55 drag passes at elevated power levels. That said, I run the car a bit soft out of the hole, 1.7 60' and haven't used a proper slick yet.

8.8" axles have been used anywhere from 500-1000 BHP with success but a lot rides on the exact combination, driving style, and available traction.

Work hard enough and smashing a built 9" is no great feat either, it can happen.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Curious to see how strong the stock 07 gt500 rear is at the track on a tire.
I don't plan on launching off of a 2 step or any clutch drops lol but my car makes a little over 700 rwhp and a littler nervous about the rear. From what I'm hearing it's a 31 spline rear but wanted to get other people's first hand experiences with it

The 31 spline isn't an issue. The diff is. Buy this

http://vmptuning.com/07-12-gt500-drivetrain/dts-913a561/

Weld the tubes.

Done, unless you're John Force.

bj

TerminatorSVT03

Established Member
I'm well aware I wasn't making it known before someone says " I wouldn't worry about you Rear if you still have a stock ds" lol

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I have run my car at several test and tune events and a private track rental just for fun. I am at about the same power level with stock 3.31 gears and 27" drag radials. I launch at 3000 rpm just letting the clutch out with no bog or wheel spin and haven't had any issues. I would not launch at 4000 rpm at this power level with a stock rear.

TerminatorSVT03

Established Member
I have run my car at several test and tune events and a private track rental just for fun. I am at about the same power level with stock 3.31 gears and 27" drag radials. I launch at 3000 rpm just letting the clutch out with no bog or wheel spin and haven't had any issues. I would not launch at 4000 rpm at this power level with a stock rear.

That's pretty much what I was looking for lol thanks for the input.
Like you said a nice 3k slip is all I want to do just to feel the car out. Once I build the rear then it'll hopefully see some 1.5 60's lol
Which track do you go to?

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Here's my car snapping a stock axle on a 31 spline Truetrac at just over 700 HP:

[youtube_browser]NDB4WlY7t_Q[/youtube_browser]

The Truetrac looked like a busted pumpkin. I put in a new Truetrac and Moser 31 spline axles and twisted them in no time.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Here's my car snapping a stock axle on a 31 spline Truetrac at just over 700 HP:

The Truetrac looked like a busted pumpkin. I put in a new Truetrac and Moser 31 spline axles and twisted them in no time.

overachiever :)

TerminatorSVT03

Established Member

What's a good axel and diff combo then? Lol do a lot of poepl just go 35 spline ?

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
What's a good axel and diff combo then? Lol do a lot of poepl just go 35 spline ?

I went 35 spline from Strange. Welded on 9" ends. I'm using a spool and I am not having issues on the street for my style of driving.

The feeling of being "bullet-proof" is great! I believe it helps me mentally improve on my 60' times. One less thing to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread