stiegemeier vs LFP porting

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
just got quotes for plenum and throttle body porting from stiegemeier and LFP. LFP charges 129 for the tb and 169 for the plenum and I'm not sure about core charges just yet. Stiegemeier quoted me 195 total for a pl/tb port plus $200 core charge, which is refundable upon return of stock parts. my question is will there be a difference between the work of these two shops? is Stiegemeier the way to go here?

Separate issues, is this an easy swap, the pl and tb? i dont know how long I can stand keeping my truck as is and I wanna do something, this may be all i can afford at the moment, is it safe to add this with a canned predator tune and 6# lower? I'd add an intake too, is the K&N FIPK a good way to go or are there adequate cheaper alternatives? Whats a good vendor for the K&Ns or AEMs? Need CARB legal intake.

STL01SVT said:
Save your money and get your supercharger ported from Stieg's. You'll see a very little gain porting the TB and plenum.

yeah If you gain anything at all. I ported my plenum today to match the opening of the new blower.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
2004SVTLightnin said:
yeah If you gain anything at all. I ported my plenum today to match the opening of the new blower.
really? how do the aftermarket plenums and tbs compare? is it just a better bet to do the full porting, eaton, pl, tb? I wanna do the eaton eventually, just dont have the money just yet. is a canned tune dangerous with a 4# lower and full porting and intake? would I really not gain anything by adding intake, plenum and tb? a ported eaton will operate better with a ported plenum and tb, right? so...in preparation for the eaton, wouldn't it be ok to do that ahead of time? I appreciate the heads up/suggestions, trying to learn here!

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
STL01SVT said:
Personally, I wouldn't pay to have the TB or plenum ported. No matter what combination I was running.

Just my 2 cents.
-Mike
so...you're on the aftermarket or stock bandwagon? are the aftermarket pls and tbs really that good?

STL Lightning

Established Member
slowneon said:
so...you're on the aftermarket or stock bandwagon? are the aftermarket pls and tbs really that good?

Not really. There just isn't that much to be gained there. Look for power increases elsewhere.

-Mark

The only reason I think porting a Tb, plenum, or any other intake piece would be strictly to match the openings on all of the components.

TB meaning Throttle body
Plenum is the piece on top of the supercharger that the TB bolts to.

As for slowneon. Port the eaton and make sure you send your plenum so they can match the intake port to the plenum.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
2004SVTLightnin said:
The only reason I think porting a Tb, plenum, or any other intake piece would be strictly to match the openings on all of the components.

TB meaning Throttle body
Plenum is the piece on top of the supercharger that the TB bolts to.

As for slowneon. Port the eaton and make sure you send your plenum so they can match the intake port to the plenum.
ok, so port matching is the only reason id do this...but back to my question. if I read correctly above, regardless of the supercharger (ported or not) porting the tb and pl are pretty much pointless, as are aftermarket pls and tbs? I dont ever intend to mess with internals on my engine and dont need 500hp, just want a safe 12 second daily driver. So...how about this idea, keep the pl and tb stock and just get a ported eaton...should I still switch to a 4# from the 6# and get a custom tune or will the "canned" predator do well enough? All I really want is a safe setup, if I'm gonna spend a few hundred on a dyno tune what more can I gain?

Bootbox

Established Member
I wouldn't run a 6lb and a ported blower on the stock block if you don't want to maybe have to buy a new motor, especially on 91oct. There are people that get away with it. There are people that don't.

I think the best setup for your 12sec daily driver is going to be a ported blower and a 4lb lower with a rock solid dyno tune, on a dyno that provides a load. You not only stand to see 20+ extra hp from the tune, but your block will thank you for it. Does anyone know if he's in Dante's neighborhood? I wish I were.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
The_Truth said:
TB or plenum ported what is this ( i'm a newbe ) so be easy
The T.B is the Throttle Body and the Plenum is is what is mounted on top of the Super Charger and the Throttle Body is attached to the front of the Plenum

360R

Established Member
Save your money i lost 1 1/5 HP with the Steg ported TB and Plenum. I would just do the blower and thats it.

360R said:
Save your money i lost 1 1/5 HP with the Steg ported TB and Plenum. I would just do the blower and thats it.

telk me this is a joke, dont say you lost anything, 1 1/2 hp could be from the weather, how hott the blower was, etc, etc.

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
I have a LFP Ported blower and have been happy with it. No numbers yet as I am going to dyno tune when it cools off and add a 6#lower. Shooting for 430 hp range on street tune.

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
Bootbox said:
I wouldn't run a 6lb and a ported blower on the stock block if you don't want to maybe have to buy a new motor, especially on 91oct. There are people that get away with it. There are people that don't.

I think the best setup for your 12sec daily driver is going to be a ported blower and a 4lb lower with a rock solid dyno tune, on a dyno that provides a load. You not only stand to see 20+ extra hp from the tune, but your block will thank you for it. Does anyone know if he's in Dante's neighborhood? I wish I were.
who is this dante and why should I be in his neighborhood? Id love to meet up with other SVT guys to gain some knowledge, just havent met any yet and the only ive seen just cruise past with the masses. I'm in central cali and am lookin to move to the dallas area in the next two years. is it a good idea to seek out a tuner with the predator compliant software so I can get the tune loaded via that and have it or...do I not know what the hell I'm talking about? Would you recommend, even at all, port matching the tb and plenum when I do the eaton, as I think Steig offers all three for like 595, or looking into the aftermarket tbs and plenums? or are we past this and only talking about seriously just porting the eaton, leave the tb and pl alone, swap a 4# on there and tune...and probably a ftvb (which one is good for daily driver?) and intake...or is even an intake not worth it? damn, guess its good I'm researching, first thing I wanted to do was swap a whipple on there, now I hear itll make my engine go boom unless its not stock and its also gonna be hella hard to get, then I think I come up with a conservative list and half of it is crap...hah! hey, at least I'm trying to learn!

White Whine

Resident Jabberwalkie
Established Member
kromdom said:
although done by KB, this link helped me make EDUCATED choices about the most common mods we always hear about (everything from intakes, exhaust and all else in between)
http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-techinfo/Cobra_LightningTechTips.pdf
dude, thank you for that link! I just read through it and it had lots of good stuff in there...although it certainly did make me want to get a kenne bell! :D since thats basically out of the question, it didn't really talk about porting the stock eaton, but did mention the plenum seems good well above the power I want/need to make and the single blade tb may be valuable if i'm above 450hp, it also said an intake really wont do much unless its an actual cold air so I may just keep the stock box and put in a filter for the hell of it, couldn't hurt. so, is port matching important then at the power I want or should I say fuggit, port the eaton, get a filter, ftvb (looked it up, figured that out) 4# and tune it and call it a day? yay or nay? will that get me in the 12s?

Users who are viewing this thread