Stick vs Stalled auto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Which ones are these again? What's a manual do that much better that a modern 6+ speed auto can't?

Could've sworn most high end/exotic cars are now coming out with mostly automatic transmissions. Lambos, Ferarris, GTRs, Porsches, Veyrons are all mainly autos, some don't even have a manual option.

Off the top of my head I can only think of the ZR1/ZO6, GT500 and maybe the 911 RS series as serious performance cars that come manual only...any others?

Are you really comparing f1 style transmissions with a stalled auto? Those cars you mentioned come with a manual or f1 style because they are better all around. You can drag em and road course them. Same thing goes for the traditional manual cars like the GT500/Vipers etc. Most automatics are sluggish and hunt gears when going all out in a road course. A manual/f1 is a better all around transmission.

Last edited:

usmc320

Established Member
I had a 4k stall with a 4L80E in my last Trans Am. It was fun on the drag strip but a little boring on the street. I much prefer the T56 in my Saleen over the high stall auto. If you live at the track and are obsessed with times go for the auto. If you want a fun street car go manual.

mustang john

Established Member
There is a satisfaction that you get when driving a stick at the track that you just dont get with an auto. When the car goes faster due solely to your driving improvements it feels really good and with an auto the driver does pretty much nothing after the launch except steer the car.

As stated earlier be man and drag a stick! lol

Prototype007

Established Member
I once seen a signature that said,"Automatics are for winning races. Manuals are for impressing High Schoolers."

If you're concentrated on being consistent and all about the "every ounce counts" perspective then go with the automatic.

If you love the feel of actually "driving" the car and or do the left AND right thing, then by all means go with a stick.

Goods and bads with both. I'm personally happy with either.

Turbosnake281

Established Member
unless you're only interested in your 1/4 times an is auto nothing but boring, especially if you're coming from a stick. driving my stang is what is fun to me, not running good times at the track imo.

STICK FTW

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Also keep in mind people have ran 7s on manual transmissions. Suspension plays the bigger role here. I dont think you are interested in hitting 7s though. Stick with the stick

Sent with my over sized Johnson

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Nothing like 6k rpm dumps!!! Stick FTW!

I don't think you've sat in a car that's on a transbrake and a two step when it lets loose. It hits the tires WAY harder than a clutch does.:beer:

There is a satisfaction that you get when driving a stick at the track that you just dont get with an auto. When the car goes faster due solely to your driving improvements it feels really good and with an auto the driver does pretty much nothing after the launch except steer the car.

As stated earlier be man and drag a stick! lol

With a manually shifted auto you still have to hit your shift points and drive. Myself the only difference is my left leg doesn't do anything. It used to lol but it doesn't now. :beer:

I picked up 2 tenths when my car ran a 10.78 with the 6 spd switching to the auto. That 10.78 was shifted with the gas pedal never leaving the floor. I've loved every minute of the auto.

Cali03Cobra

Established Member
I don't think you've sat in a car that's on a transbrake and a two step when it lets loose. It hits the tires WAY harder than a clutch does.:beer:

With a manually shifted auto you still have to hit your shift points and drive. Myself the only difference is my left leg doesn't do anything. It used to lol but it doesn't now. :beer:

I picked up 2 tenths when my car ran a 10.78 with the 6 spd switching to the auto. That 10.78 was shifted with the gas pedal never leaving the floor. I've loved every minute of the auto.

STALLED 4R70 FTW. I love myn. Especially when you hit traffic and you don't ever use your left foot pretty nice!

Josh93

Established Member
Id rather lose a couple tenths at the track than put a automatic in my car. Autos just get boring to me, especially on a street car

rubber duck

Established Member
With a stock or near stock car I like the manual because it makes a slow car fun. With a heavily modded car I'd take an auto because the the car is fun either way and faster with an auto. I have a stalled auto with a big single and launching off the transbrake will rip your face off, and that's pretty fun.

98tadriver

Established Member
I've had a few 6spd ls1 f-bodies and it was fun, but replacing clutches, rears and transmissions, not so much. My C5 is even more fun because It has a Circle D 4200 stall converter in it and cuts 1.38-1.40 60's at the track :) I dont have to worry about shifting. Makes life much easier whether you're racing at the track or caught in traffic. Consistent, wont miss shifts, and on average will be 4tenths quicker than a stick car mod for mod. You don't get that torque multiplication and instant acceleration like an automatic car has. Not to mention automatics are alot easier on drivetrain components.

Last edited:

98tadriver

Established Member
Personally, as long as I keep Improving my times or win races, I'll be just as satisfied with my 10sec stalled auto or 14 second 5 spd saturn :)

Last edited:

boost42

AssKicker
Established Member
I daily drive a stalled fully built 4r75w 2.2kb everyday to work and back. Everyday. And go to the track and run 10.50s at full weight thats .15 quicker than the car had ever been with a stick shiftin the shit out of it and that was on 17" drag radials vs 28" Hoosier slicks. Has a ~4000 Circle D conver and FB full manual valve body with electronic lock up/overdrive. It is a pain in the ass sometimes but if your an enthusiast, you'll learn to love it. I can't say I would rather have an auto than a 6spd but for me it's perfect. I just came from a '93 5.0 with an aod

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
99% of the people who say Automatics are boring have never driven a built auto trans. Trans brake, manual valve body, big converter, is everything a stick shift is minus the clutch and the slow ETs. I have a Coan TH400 in my Camaro with a brake, which you can launch at any RPM you want with the release of a button, and a manual reverse shift pattern in which you pull back on the shifter to go into the next gear. I have a non-lock up 5000 rpm converter which is a BLAST to hit on the street. There's nothing like clicking gears and not having the RPM drop much, but the car just pull harder and harder. The guys comparing a auto drag car to their daily driven 4x4 trucks are 100% morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread