Stick vs Stalled auto

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleshmcfilth123

Established Member
I'd like to start drag racing, I took my GTO 2 years ago, stock with headers, to the track and couldn't catch any traction with a stick. By the time I shifted to 2nd I was only at 4000 rpms since I had been spinning all through 1st. I ran 14s, and by the time I had MTs, cam, manifold, clutch, tune and drag bags I never got a shot at the track before I totaled the car. The worst part was feeling guilty about beating on the clutch and synchros.

Now with my GT, I don't run it really hard on the street, unless it's a roll race. I have enough mods to put it at the power level my GTO was, but I still am hesitant to take it to the track. I'm now trying to sell the car, and I don't really know what I want.

The reason I am posting here, is I'm fascinated by stalled automatics. I'm really considering an auto car and I was wondering what was the common opinion on a manual trans vs a stalled auto for a guy who has a DD, and wants to run his car in the 1/4. I would go all in, probably a pushrod car with a 3500-4000 stall and I'd like to spray.

Am I going to hate the car on the streets? I know it will give me better times but, will I lose something?

ctgreddy

Established Member
you'll lose entertainment. before my cobra i had a '00 gt, full bolt on 2v with cams and a 150 shot, with a built 4r70 and 4k stall converter. it was fun as hell off the line, but after that it was boring. was a boring dd(i drove it everyday with the stall, my only car, even thru a michigan winter). now i have my cobra and will never have another auto fun car. just my opinion however. to answer part of your question a car with a 3500-4k stall can still be very streetable.

fleshmcfilth123

Established Member
you'll lose entertainment. before my cobra i had a '00 gt, full bolt on 2v with cams and a 150 shot, with a built 4r70 and 4k stall converter. it was fun as hell off the line, but after that it was boring. was a boring dd(i drove it everyday with the stall, my only car, even thru a michigan winter). now i have my cobra and will never have another auto fun car. just my opinion however. to answer part of your question a car with a 3500-4k stall can still be very streetable.

Thanks for a great answer. An 03-04 Cobra is one car I am really considering, but I am tired of launching stick cars. YouTube videos make a stalled auto look so sick, but it's really hard to find one to test drive to experience what it's like. Streetability is not a concern since it won't be my DD but it's nice to know it's driver friendly. I'd rather have something violent and unruly on the weekends, you know? My last car had clutch chatter, cam surge, guzzled fuel and smelled like pure gasoline and I loved it as a weekend car.

ctgreddy

Established Member
launching stick cars is not hard if you put a little work in the suspension/tires. they're easy to launch when you can just rev it and dump the clutch but you have to have some suspension parts and good tires to do so. I love my cobra compared to either my nitrous gt or my '95 gt which was a 347 with a 100 shot and a tko. drives like a dream around town and then i can swap some tires and go bust consistent 11.5's with no problem. and it's only got normal bolt ons and a sra swap.

mustang john

Established Member
I contemplated an auto swap about a year ago but decided against it, even if it would have made the car quicker in the 1/4 it just wouldnt have been as much fun to drive overall on the street or strip but thats just me.

Shreddingrubber

Established Member
To launch with a manual you have to really know the car. An auto is perfect for keeping your times consistent but at 1400 feet it's not fun anymore.
I've got an automatic 4x4. It's my winter truck. My mustang is my fun car. And an auto just isn't any fun.
Jmo

lxhatch302

Established Member
If your drag racing the car. Auto ftw

If your building a bad ass street car... Auto ftw....

chrisquirk187

Momma, I wanna go fast!
Established Member
Auto auto auto! I have a built 4r70w with manual valve body and ratchet shifter. It's like driving a stick but faster and stronger. The Trans brake I'd amazing for shifting and you'll never miss a gear oh and no more god forsaken clutches.

If you ever wanna take a ride in mine i live in Essex.

allstock

Established Member
Most people who say an auto is boring have never driven a high hp mvb auto car. I have owned my cobra with a T56 and a stalled 4r70w and I prefer the auto hands down.

clc44

Established Member
I'm going with a A6 in the new 5.0 when I get one. Prob go 3-3500 stall with Race Stars and basic bolt ons. That alone is an 11 sec car. Like mentioned above, get a ratchet shifter and MVB and shift your own gears, no clutch though ;) or missed gears.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I like to race with the stick, but we all know that it's going to run better with a stalled auto. Just not for me as I enjoy cranking through the gears. It's up to you as to what you go with though.

Teal Terminator

Established Member
If you want to go fast at the drag strip... auto.

If you want to have fun on the street and/or a road course... stick.

Just have to decide what is more important to you personally. Or have one of each! :)

acatalon

Established Member
I think on a well equipped Cobra with an auto trans is good for an additional .4 quicker on 1/4 mile et, no timing issues with syncros and clutch engagement/disengagement. Not to mention the predictability factors and transbrake benefits, but for my enjoyment I like the challenge of running the car in its original drive-train config, but that's just my opinion. if you want to win races the auto is the route to taken.

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
auto for an all-drag car otherwise stick with the stick.

There is a reason high performance cars come in stick only. It's better suited to do more things.

LS2GTO

Established Member
There is a reason high performance cars come in stick only. It's better suited to do more things.

Which ones are these again? What's a manual do that much better that a modern 6+ speed auto can't?

Could've sworn most high end/exotic cars are now coming out with mostly automatic transmissions. Lambos, Ferarris, GTRs, Porsches, Veyrons are all mainly autos, some don't even have a manual option.

Off the top of my head I can only think of the ZR1/ZO6, GT500 and maybe the 911 RS series as serious performance cars that come manual only...any others?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread