STFGHTR - Cam's 1996 Mystic Cobra Build

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I bought one of my childhood dream cars – a 1996 Mystic Cobra – on December 29, 2011, and I’ve had it ever since. I decided that this year would be the year I’d finally make it into the car I've always wanted it to be. Here’s how the car sits now:

0625212144a.jpg

0625212201-HDR.jpg

I started a thread about it years back, but the images are long gone, so I’ll paraphrase the information here.

It's Mystic Cobra #683, originally exported to Canada and owned by the president of the Royal Bank of Canada before coming over the border sometime in the year 2000. The Mystic Cobra was my dream car when I was 8, and the only one I'd ever seen in person lived a few streets away from me. I would occasionally see it in the driveway on summer days getting washed. When I was 22 years old, I was diagnosed with a heart condition called SVT, short for supraventricular tachycardia. One day, on my way to see my doctor, I saw this car for sale at a dealership that belonged to a family friend. Unfortunately, they were on vacation, but the day they returned, I came back, test drove the car, and made an offer. It was the week before New Year's, and there were several inches of snow on the ground. After purchasing the car, a friend and I drove down to Summit Racing in Tallmadge in a snowstorm. Later that night, going over the stack of documentation about the car's history, I realized that my Mystic Cobra was the same one I'd seen as a child.

The car has stayed mostly stock so far, but I’ve been collecting parts over the years as well. The only mods on the car presently are a Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, Steeda underdrive pulleys, and a Steeda four-point strut brace (which came as a package deal with some other parts I ordered from them and simply replaced the original).

I’ve got a healthy stash of parts in the basement, including Brembo four-piston front brake calipers, some beefier rear calipers, a pair of 18x9” FR500 wheels (the rears are on order), subframe connectors, lowering springs, camber plates, a bump steer kit, upgraded ball joints, a coil on plug conversion, and some other assorted restoration trim parts.

The first project is fixing my gauge cluster, then determining why my speedometer has never worked properly. I’ll also be sending some parts off for powdercoating soon, including my brake calipers, my valve covers, my underdrive pulleys, and a few assorted pieces of trim. Here’s the full list of goals I have in mind for 2021:
  • Fix my gauge cluster/speedometer issue

• Basic service & engine bay detail

• Coil-on-plug conversion

• 4.56 gear install

• New wheels & tires

• Big brake upgrade

• Suspension upgrades

• Install subframe connectors & reinforce torque boxes

• Restore and upgrade the interior
I have some “stretch goals” that I’d like to get to this year, but I probably won’t have time for:

• Longtube headers & H-pipe

• Tubular K-member

• IMRC deletes

• Comp Cams XE262AH cams

• Fix the paint
I’ll update this thread as I make progress on my build and share stories from almost a decade of ownership. Thanks for reading.

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Is it your speedometer or odometer/tripometer that doesn’t work?

The odometer works (or worked, until the gears turned to mush at some point last winter). The speedometer is very erratic and never reads the correct speed. It just jumps around from place to place as I drive. The odometer was always fine, although the flexible PCB on the back of the cluster is starting to disintegrate. I purchased a nice used cluster that I can swap my original cluster's guts into when I replace the odometer gears. I tried this cluster for fun on a short drive and the speedometer did the exact same thing. There's got to be some kind of wiring issue between the VSS and the cluster itself.

Boosted08

Established Member
I would pull out the trans speed sensor and check the teeth on the gear as well as the drive gear in the trans.

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Drooooooooooooooooooooool!! I want a Mystic so bad. How many miles on that beauty?

It had 64k when I bought it; it's got about 74k on it now if I remember correctly.

Cool build. How are you planning to address the speedometer after you get the 4.56 gears in?

My best friend sold me his SpeedCal. I'm still looking for a second one for another SN95 project I have.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Later that night, going over the stack of documentation about the car's history, I realized that my Mystic Cobra was the same one I'd seen as a child.
That’s pretty cool!

Looking forward to your results. I have a Mystic also, but it’s a low-mile non-driver.

Thanks for sharing!

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I've been collecting a lot of parts for my COP conversion, and I figured "while I'm in there" I'll get some other parts powdercoated along with the valve covers. I'm also replacing a few bits and pieces to keep it looking nice under the hood. Of course, the end result of this particular bout of the dreaded Project Scope Creep is that, now, I've decided to perform a full cooling system service as well, so I'll be removing my coolant crossover (not looking forward to this at all) and sending it to the powdercoater along with the other stuff, as well as replacing all of the hoses, the water pump, and the thermostat.

I've got a hex-head crossover plug, a set of viton crossover O-rings, and a Motorcraft water pump, thermostat, and gasket all on their way to me as we speak. It'll be nice to know that all of the fluids and hoses are fresh before I beat on what is now a quarter century-old car at test & tune night, especially since I'll be changing the plugs when I do my COP conversion (last changed a couple days after I bought the car), performing an oil change, and replacing the brake fluid when I swap in my new brakes.

I am still on the fence about replacing the radiator with the Mishimoto unit. Since my car was originally sold in Canada, the cooling TSB was never performed, so it can get hot when I'm running the A/C in the summer. Some folks say that the Mishimoto radiator fits great and solved all of their cooling issues, while others state that it fits like crap and didn't help at all.

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Small update - last night my neighbor helped me clearance the Brembo calipers and install the S&S Engineering adapters. It was much easier with a CNC mill and an arbor press than it would have been with a hammer and a file! The calipers, as well as my valve covers and strut tower brace, are going to the powdercoater on Monday. I'm excited to see how they turn out.

0720210231-HDR.jpg

fM9777y

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
A buddy of mine who used to have a '98 Cobra reached out and offered me some parts. I'm not going to argue with free Cobra parts, so we met up for a few beers and he gave me these. I probably won't use the lower half of the intake, but the lid is in really nice shape and I'll have to see if it's nicer than mine.

The big get was the IMRC delete plates, complete in their original Ford Motorsport SVO box!

0728210910-HDR.jpg

0728210911.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread