Stepping up to Twin Screw

slowgreycobra

Established Member
I just got a chunk of change from the government in exchange for my body for a few more years. I am going to put a chunk of it to good use and go twin screw. I think overall its better than the bunch of bolt ons I was looking at. I keep going back and forth between KB and Whipple and I have researched on the forums and still can't make up my mind. My goals for the time being are 525-550+ hp. Here is the list I have been working on to just get started with a twin screw and I want to make sure I am not smoking crack. It will be mostly street driven, that is until I buy a truck some time next year then it will be the few days a week fun toy.

The list:

Twin-screw (still trying to decide which one)
Head Cooling mod
Billetflow IRS Brace
Liberty 26 spline
Flywheel (not sure which one yet steel or aluminum)
Spec 3 clutch kit
60lb injectors
Ford GT Pumps
Heat exchanger
Bassani x and catback
SCT excal 2 or 3 (anyone play with the 3 yet?)
Amazon tune (did a good job on the 02 L that I had before my divorce)
MafiA
JLT intake
Throttle body (what size?)

I only have crappy 91 octane here in El Paso so I know that will limit me in tuning. I am also at 4000ft so thats a huge power killer. Am I missing anything? Do I need more fuel mods? Do I have anything i don't need until 600+ power?

I will also stick it on the Dyno here and get some numbers so I can get the tune as close as possible for the combo.

ModMike1572

Established Member
The list looks good. Congrats on upgrading to a twin screw. I cant help on which is better, but i dont think you can go wrong with either. Your goal of 525-550 hp is easily attainable with a twin screw. Good luck

Common

Established Member
People get around 500+ with eaton.
If you got whipple 2.3 at about 17psi you will make around 570ish easily.
Good luck.

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
What suspension mods do you have??? You don't need a twin screw until you have your chassis/irs reinforced, or else you'll just hop around like CRAZY. Before you even think about twin-screwing, you need subframes, IRS bushings, IRS brackets, IRS brace, Springs, coil-overs, and some fatty Drs.

Redfire03

Established Member
It is a good idea to uprgrade a few parts on the suspension before you up the power that much. Full-length subframes, lowering springs and a good set of tires go a long way to killing wheel hop.

Everything else you listed looks good though!

slowgreycobra

Established Member
I'm in the Army right now. I'll take a look at the suspension mods. They all are pretty reasonable in price except for the half shafts. That is an awesome write up! Thanks for the help, glad I'm on the right track engine wise.

Pm sent to you ox

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
1) Old Style 2.3 Whipple = 2.2 Kenne Bell more or less.....
2) New Style Whipple > than 2.2 Kenne Bell and outsold them about 8 to 1 over an 18 month period. Lower IAT2 temps = more efficiency!
3) 2.4 Kenne Bell = semi-bust.....Tends to run hot w/ excessive IAT2 temps.
4) Kenne Bell 2.6 & 2.8 = superior to previous twin screws mentioned above....The "H" models are 40+ RHWP more than the regular models for same price. No brainer here....
5) Whipple 3.4 = ???? at this time. Just not enough data out there yet although Hissssnsvt just ran a 9.91 at 141 on blower only with one 9 days ago.

Recommendation??? = 2.6H for street action. 2.8H for aggressive street action and lighting it up at the track.

Note: Above info is purely opinion and conjecture......:banana: :banana: :banana:

slowgreycobra

Established Member
I went whipple 2.3 from Ox. I will wait to install it until I get the supporting suspension. The deal was too good to pass up and at least I know the supercharger works.

IronTerp

Whitedeathtrap said:
I went whipple 2.3 from Ox. I will wait to install it until I get the supporting suspension. The deal was too good to pass up and at least I know the supercharger works.
Congrats!!! Dave is a good guy and you'll get the real deal from him. Have fun!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
IronTerp said:
2) New Style Whipple > than 2.2 Kenne Bell and outsold them about 8 to 1 over an 18 month period. Lower IAT2 temps = more efficiency!
4) Kenne Bell 2.6 & 2.8 = superior to previous twin screws mentioned above....The "H" models are 40+ RHWP more than the regular models for same price. No brainer here....
5) Whipple 3.4 = ???? at this time. Just not enough data out there yet although Hissssnsvt just ran a 9.91 at 141 on blower only with one 9 days ago.

Recommendation??? = 2.6H for street action. 2.8H for aggressive street action and lighting it up at the track.

Note: Above info is purely opinion and conjecture......:banana: :banana: :banana:
Good comparison and breakdown Dwight. :thumbsup:

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
You don't necessarily need half shafts. If you have suspension and tires you won't hop, and it's harder to break em if you're not hopping.

Casper cobra

Established Member
IronTerp said:
:

How can differentiate between the new & old style....

IronTerp

Casper cobra said:
How can differentiate between the new & old style....
The "old style" Whipple 140 was a very solid application, but Dustin Whipple made 3-4 minor alterations and came out with the "New Style" 140AX about 3 years ago. Can't remember the exact changes, but they gave it a great shove in the battle with Kenne Bell and put the pressure on KB to develop the 2.6/2.8 series.

Maybe Hissman can chime in here with the exact changes.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I think that it was a slightly different rotor profile and bearings, maybe gears too. I can't remember for sure. I will try do find some old E-mails that I got from Dustin.

-Jeff

slowgreycobra

Established Member
Just letting everyone know that Ox delivered the goods. He packaged it in the original packing and taped up all the ports. The things looks brand new and you would never know it isn't! Thanks again ox! Now I need to hurry up and get the rest of the parts so I can install it.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member

Subscribing.:bowdown:

slowgreycobra

Established Member
I just ordered parts for my car. I couldn't go too crazy because I am buying carpet for my house so I can put it up for sale next month. After that its back to modding and I will have no debt except for my 03 cobra car payment when the house sells. Here is my list so far.

Bassani cat back and mid pipes w/cats.
SCT Excal 3
BF IRS Brace
Driveshaft safety loop
MAF.ia
JLT 12" cold air intake
Whipple 3.00 pulley for 17lbs of boost.
MM Full length sub frames
26 Spline and shims
Spec 3+ clutch
Fidanza steel flywheel
TOB retainer sleeve

I already have 60lb injectors from ox so I am good there. I'll get the heat exchanger a little later this week. Any suggestions on what's a good one to get?

I will also buy the bushings and other stuff for IRS after the carpet is done. Hopefully subframes and sticky tires will be enough until I build the IRS all the way. I don't plan on any 5000rpm dumps on slicks for the time being. I am looking at the kit that ac427 sells.

I'm glad I have Christmas to get everything together since I'm not going anywhere.

I will also be sticking the car on the dyno and getting it tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread