Step up from 2.2KB

Blown85

Established Member
Im at about 600rwhp right now with my 2.2KB. No E85 around here so Im stuck with 93 octane.

Is it worth the investment to bump up to a larger blower? a 2.8KB or 2.9 Whipple ? or even a 3.4 whipple?

Am i wrong or even with a larger blower am I still going to be in the 600 -630 range on pump gas?

Its going to cost a couple thousand even after selling mine and buying a new one. Just want to spend my money wisely

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
No. If your right at 600 and E85 isn't close you would probably make close to the same maybe 630 h.p.? Also with No E85 the only other blower i'd get would be the VMP 2.3L that TVS puts in some work.

Steve Cea

Established Member
Try Methanol injection , I swear buy it and I'm laying down 686 hp and 596 ft/lbs from my Whipple 2.3 and 3 inch pulley ( stock crank pulley) 80lb injectors , MSD Ignition , JLT CAI and SCT MAF , Kenny Bell boost A pump , BBK catless X Pipe and Borla ATAK exhaust

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blown85

Established Member
Try Methanol injection , I swear buy it and I'm laying down 686 hp and 596 ft/lbs from my Whipple 2.3 and 3 inch pulley ( stock crank pulley) 80lb injectors , MSD Ignition , JLT CAI and SCT MAF , Kenny Bell boost A pump , BBK catless X Pipe and Borla ATAK exhaust

Yes I have considered it and I think Im going to do it. I had an 08 Vette with a vortec and methanol and that put down just about what you are. Should I try running that with my 2.2KB? or get a larger blower?

Steve Cea

Established Member
Keep your stock blower not worth the upgrade costs , how much boost are you running now ? Im running roughly 19 lbs -19.5 lbs , I went with methanol cause I was worried about detonation, especially after getting a tank full of 93 octane water at a local Sunoco a few months back ! I used the Snow Performance methanol injection kit and swear by it !! I did not have the car tuned for Methanol btw this was if I run out it's no big deal , I converted my windshield washer bottle so it's dual purpose now
76541ea14dcb88a52b8840df5b772bd2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GodStang

Established Member
Yes I have considered it and I think Im going to do it. I had an 08 Vette with a vortec and methanol and that put down just about what you are. Should I try running that with my 2.2KB? or get a larger blower?

Methanol injection on a PD blower sprayed pre-blower has been shown over and over and over again for the past 15 years that it does nothing. Spraying after blower is a totally different subject. The reason it works on turbos and Centri blowers is because you are spraying post blower.

When I went from a 2.2L to a 2.8L on 93 Octane I went from sub 650rwhp to over 700rwhp. Was it worth it who knows but the build was sure fun.

Blown85

Established Member
Methanol injection on a PD blower sprayed pre-blower has been shown over and over and over again for the past 15 years that it does nothing. Spraying after blower is a totally different subject. The reason it works on turbos and Centri blowers is because you are spraying post blower.

When I went from a 2.2L to a 2.8L on 93 Octane I went from sub 650rwhp to over 700rwhp. Was it worth it who knows but the build was sure fun.

How you getting 700hp? You on E85?

stangfreak

Established Member
3.4 and pump gas on a stock motor? This topic has been beaten to death for the past decade. I don't even run my 2.9 whipple on pump gas. Big blowers need boost. They also create tons more heat. Don't believe the oh they run cool. E85 will be your friend. Pump gas you need built motor, little more compression and more cubic inches.

If none of this is in your future, keep the 2.2. Or, if you want something newer, get the 2.3 tvs with the bigger throttle body. On 93 it will be fast and they still perform with a built motor and more boost. Best of both worlds. You will have a 93 blower and a race gas blower.

stangfreak

Established Member

This. Thank god someone said it again.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I agree, keep the 2.2 if you do not have corn available. No sense to spend all that money to make the same power. Your smaller blower will actually be more fun on the street anyway. Big blowers want high boost.

I made 611 hp 604 tq on 93 with my 2.8h at 18.5 psi. Made 694hp 674tq on corn at 20psi.

Users who are viewing this thread