step by step video of an 03 Cobra Spec 3+ Clutch Install

Nino S

Established Member
great video!! Is that the same Spec stage 3+ clutch that I can order off of lethalperformance.com ? I am still running the stocker and I know that my clutch is really starting to feel beat since I had the crap put on. If this is the mainstream kit that I can buy I think that it sounds right for what I am looking to do with my car. any help would be greatly appreciated

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Neat vids!! There was some good tips in there........Kinda wish they had addressed in a little more detail some of the issues with this procedure:

1) Getting that freakin upper starter bolt off when the factory K member is in place......That's a fun one the first time you do it and most writeups don't even mention it.

2) Upper bellhousing bolts can be a little tricky as well the first time....

3) How about the fairly severe clutch "chatter/shudder" that are commonplace with most Spec 3+ installs until a bit of the disc gets worn down???

4) Pilot bearing??? Most replace this with a clutch change and there's a bit of a procedure to this. But there may of been a section of the video that addressed this that's missing.

5) Input shaft change to 26 spline? The Cobra in the video apparently already had this in place, but many folks have to so this and a little how-to would of been great here.

6) He mentioned inspection of the TOB sleeve, but the factory part here is a semi-timebomb and there probably should of been a mention of possible replacement with an aftermarket unit here.

But, just beeing picky. Really liked the vids!

Last edited:

thelpb

Established Member
4) Pilot bearing??? ... there's a bit of a procedure to this...

Got some more details? I'm gonna be doing my clutch and a 26 spline input shaft this weekend. Trying to find info about the pilot bearing swap.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Got some more details? I'm gonna be doing my clutch and a 26 spline input shaft this weekend. Trying to find info about the pilot bearing swap.
Although a few fellas use the "grease pack" method to remove the existing pilot bearing, most just go to AutoZone or Advance and rent/borrow the slide hammer to remove it. Simple, but the tool is key. Install is basic: Hammer and block of wood/socket.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
Pretty Cool! I actually tried the Spec 5 when I thought my Spec 3+ had bit the dust - but it turned out to be my trans instead. The Spec 5 grabbed way too hard for my setup even with the 28" slicks - Spec 3+ went back in with the steel flywheel and my 1.4 60ft's returned. Great Clutch...:beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very useful tools. Certainly one/two of those videos that you really need to save on your hard drive. :thumbsup:

iBiTe03

Established Member
i have a the spec clutch but with a fidanza flywheel im waiting to put it in. he mentioned the clutch and flywheel were balanced as one. do i have to get mine balanced?

Users who are viewing this thread