Steering Wheel Puller for Terminators?

frank3si

Established Member
I'm going to replace my steering wheel with an FR500 wheel. I bought a Grant steering wheel puller, but now notice that the threaded holes on the steering wheel itself are further apart than the holes on the disc unit of the puller. So, anybody who's done a wheel switch, what did you use?

Thanks -

Frank

frank3si

Established Member
Well, like I said above I did buy a puller but it doesn't seem to align with the holes on the Cobra wheel, making it pretty much useless. :mj:

That's why I'm trying to find out exactly what puller would work with our wheels specifically...

Frank

frank3si

Established Member
I did think of yanking it out with my teeth :lol: - but there are warnings that force can damage the bearings. So...

Frank

frank3si

Established Member
Right - so I should use...? Somebody who's done this switch must be out there - I know there have been a few threads about swapping out the steering wheels, but nobody's talked about this aspect. What did you use and where did you get it? Like I wrote, the alignment of the Grant puller isn't wide enough...

Thanks -

Frank

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Ok ...I'll say again. The OTC puller I have fits.

With air bags on the car, I would not do ANYTHING other than the factory recommended procedure.

frank3si

Established Member
Thanks, FireRed - I misunderstood and thought you meant OTC as in "over the counter" or commonly available. I didn't realize OTC was a specific brand until I was poking around eBay Motors just now! Duh...

I'll check them out. Yes, I am planning on being extremely careful with this project...

Frank

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
FireRed04Vert said:
Ok ...I'll say again. The OTC puller I have fits.

With air bags on the car, I would not do ANYTHING other than the factory recommended procedure.

You are going to have to completely remove the airbag before you even begin to pull the wheel. I would go to autozone and rent one of theirs, they have a few different size ones and try that.

frank3si

Established Member
Yes, I know it has to come off. There are some good step-by-steps with pics online, and the directions that come with the wheel from FRPP are good, too.

Frank

frank3si

Established Member
Yeh, I found a inexpensive 2-jaw puller on eBay, so I'm set! Might even get here by Saturday...

Frank

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
1 bad bullitt said:
You are going to have to completely remove the airbag before you even begin to pull the wheel. I would go to autozone and rent one of theirs, they have a few different size ones and try that.

That's the DRIVERS bag! You will still have the passenger bag in the car. Disconnect the battery before you do anything. Otherwise, all the banging around, wire connections, etc COULD pop the passenger bag.

Users who are viewing this thread