Steeda Tri-Ax remove the stop bolts?

Doc2003Cobra

Established Member
I just heard this last Saturday and again today on the website the same thing, that we should remove the stop bolts for the shifter or risk messing up the transmission. I've had this shifter for the last 38,000 miles or so and the transmission works and seems perfect to me. Is this really a valid condition, if I remove those stop bolts the shifter must be just as wishy washy as the stock shifting feel, thanks in advance, Doc. :shrug:

03SvtCandyApple

Established Member
I don't have the Steeda Shifter but the t-56 has internal stops and every manufactuer that i've seen recommends that you DON'T use the stops. I have the Mgw and called just to make sure, they told me not to use them... hope that helps

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
MGW recommends that you do not use the stop with THEIR shifter. Their instructions are specific to THEIR shifter only. The Steeda install instructions clearly state that you have to set the stops. I had the TriAx and DID use the stops per their instructions. I never had an issue with the shifter in a 18 months of use. You should always follow the instructions provided by the specific manufacturer. So again, even though MGW states not to use them with their shifter doesn't mean you should do the same with the TriAx, Pro 5.0, Kirban, Hurst, etc. Each manufacturer tells you what to do. Follow their specific install instructions.

dougwg

Established Member
Doc2003Cobra said:
I just heard this last Saturday and again today on the website the same thing, that we should remove the stop bolts for the shifter or risk messing up the transmission. I've had this shifter for the last 38,000 miles or so and the transmission works and seems perfect to me. Is this really a valid condition, if I remove those stop bolts the shifter must be just as wishy washy as the stock shifting feel, thanks in advance, Doc. :shrug:

the only problem with the stops is that people set them to "tight".... and end up fu(king up their trans... and then get pissed at the manufacturer of the shifter and say "X Y Z shifter is junk"... (BTW the BEST is the MGW ;-) )

but if you set them just beyond the internal stops... it's ok ( on the T-56)

The problem is that people can't be trusted to setup stuff.... so now they just say... "DON'T USE THEM"

this is true for all the shifters for the T-56

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
CobraBob said:
MGW recommends that you do not use the stop with THEIR shifter. Their instructions are specific to THEIR shifter only. The Steeda install instructions clearly state that you have to set the stops. I had the TriAx and DID use the stops per their instructions. I never had an issue with the shifter in a 18 months of use. You should always follow the instructions provided by the specific manufacturer. So again, even though MGW states not to use them with their shifter doesn't mean you should do the same with the TriAx, Pro 5.0, Kirban, Hurst, etc. Each manufacturer tells you what to do. Follow their specific install instructions.

and Bob,

Blind faith ( in instructions) is not always the wisest choice

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
dougwg said:
but if you set them just beyond the internal stops... it's ok ( on the T-56)

The problem is that people can't be trusted to setup stuff.... so now they just say... "DON'T USE THEM"

this is true for all the shifters for the T-56

Thanks for saving me the typing. :)

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Interesting! I removed the stops from my Steeda Tri-Ax with no problems to date. I have about 25k miles on the shifter right now. I guess it all depends on how hard you beat on the thing. With me that's very minimal though!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
dougwg said:
and Bob,

Blind faith ( in instructions) is not always the wisest choice
True Doug, but it is better than choosing not to follow the directions without at least checking with the manufacturer/vendor, or following advice that may not be correct. ;-)

And in some cases not following the instructions can lead to a warrantee issue. Bottom line, if you not sure about something in the instructions or if it conflicts with the instructions of a competitor's product, contact the manufacturer and get an answer.

Users who are viewing this thread