steeda shifter

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Yes, pretty much all the aftermarket shifters will produce more noise. The noise will usually go down once the grease in the shifter warms up while driving. It will also break in with time.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
No it is not normal. I have the tri-ax and it is as quite as stock no noise or heat at all. The key is don't follow Steeda's instructions.

1) don't cut the trans tunnel skirt
2) take the rubber skirt of the stock shifter and put it on the new shifter
3) get some of the silicon discribed in the attached thread

Take a look at this thread for more info.
Tri-ax install

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Heh..."No it's not normal"? The guy installed it according to Steeda's instructions, then the noise is normal. If he does it the way you did it and it's quiet, then that wouldn't be normal ;) Am I making any sense?

:lol:

I've tried them both and they are both noisy, although I think the Steeda Tri-ax was less noisy.

DaveSVT03

Established Member
I put a steeda on my 01 and did the "quiet install" plus added my own custom rubber isolator between the shifter and the handle (it helped some), but it was still much louder than stock.

ALA G8R

Banned
I can see getting road noise if the rubber shift boot was not properly re-installed. The transmission whine with the Tri-ax is normal. I like it. But no road noise.

My1stFord

Established Member
Ive never driven one w/ a aftermarket shifter... this tri ax I just bought that much better than stock??

OH and it didnt appear to come w/ a handle.... any suggestions?

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Aftermarket shifter makes a big difference. Should be the first mod you make to you car. Most people tend to go with the Tri-ax handle, or the MGW handles. Use the search button and you should find some info on them. Right now I'm leading towards getting the tri-ax handle for my Pro 5.0, just because it's a solid piece, but I'm waiting to see them both. Hopefully tomorrow at the FreestateSVTOA meet.

ALA G8R

Banned
I had a Tri-ax on my 98 Cobra and loved it. The stock shifter on my 03 vert didn't last one week. I had to yank it and put in a Tri-ax. The shorter throws, positive 2-3 shifts, and the transmission whine are must haves in my book. I use the stock shift knob on my Tri-ax handle.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I am just saying my Tri-ax is as quiet or quieter then stock I have no noise at all. It is so quite I can hear everything that rattles or moves inside my car, i.e. the damn center air vents.

I have talked to several people who have complained there's makes to much noise. One guy was so p*ss'd when he saw my car he said "just one word of advise don't buy the tri-ax it sucks." I talked to him for about 10-minutes it turns out Steeda actually did his install and charged like $100 to do it. So I gave him a piece of the silicon I had in my car and told him how to fix it. He went home and did what I told him. The following week when I saw him he came right back to me and thanked me and said that did it.

If you do the install how I said you shouldn't have any noise. Don't cut the trans tunnel skirt. Take the skirt off of the stock shifter and put on the tri-ax. Use high durometer silicon between the handle and shifter. Make sure the stops are correct if they are to close you will have a clunk or make the trans pop out of gear they shouldn't be closer the 1/8" in any gear. Remember the T-56 also has internal stops so this is just a secondary safe guard.

I also have Redline D4 in my trans and that also helps and makes shifters much smoother.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by My1stFord
Ive never driven one w/ a aftermarket shifter... this tri ax I just bought that much better than stock??

OH and it didnt appear to come w/ a handle.... any suggestions?

I have the Steeda short throw shifter if you want it. I am using the MGW handle on mine.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had a Hurst billet shifter on my '04 Callaway Camaro and it was noisier than stock. I installed the Tri-Ax on my Cobra and it was WAY noiser. And I followed their instruction to the 'T'. I even installed the larger rubber gasket on the handle but it didn't help much at all. The difference between the stock shifter and the Tri-Ax wasn't worth the increase in noise so I removed it and re-installed the stock shifter. I did, though, use the MGW handle and I'm very pleased with the result.

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
I bought some lithium grease and loaded the the shifter housing with it, not enough to be messy but enough to "saturate". This subdued the tranny noise quite a bit. In addition, it takes less effort to shift while not affecting the positive feel during shifting.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Mine is pretty noisey, but I havent gotten around to ordering the silicone for the handle.

I used Dynamat on the base of the shifter, but the grinding noise Im getting is being transmitted through the handle. If you grip the shift knob hard with your hand around as much of it as you can, the noise gets supressed somewhat.

My1stFord

Established Member
Originally posted by Bingo13
I have the Steeda short throw shifter if you want it. I am using the MGW handle on mine.

Pardon my ignorance but what's the difference between the one you mention and the one I got off eBay?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Pardon my ignorance but what's the difference between the one you mention and the one I got off eBay?

I think he was offering you a ride. Your both in the same area.

Bingo13

Established Member

I have the Steeda Handle that goes on the Steeda shift unit. You know I am old fart and use 60/70s car terms. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread