steeda shifter is very "notchy feeling"

brett3xx

Established Member
My steeda shifter on my 03 cobra is very notchy feeling. What shifter do you guys recommend for my car that want be as notchy feeling? Thanks, Brett

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
So,,,,what's the problem? Aftermarket shifters are more "notchy", thats the purpose. You are going to sacrifice the softer feeling of the stock shifter to have the performance and precision of an aftermarket shifter.

brett3xx

Established Member
let me try to explain better. If you try and slam third, you will miss! IT want go in smoothly at all.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I had a Steeda unit. Not sure what they're smoking on the spring tensions..but it can be helped.

Remove shifter from car...disassemble shifter (don't be scared)...clean it VERY well and remove all dirt/grease.

Get some medium cut polishing compound or your favorite metal polish (Mother's Mag/Aluminum) and put it on the ball and its seat in the base.

Reassemble and snug bolts (yes with the compound in there like grease)...work it back/forth in your hand for a little while (leave the springs out). Take it back apart and clean everything. You should see the ball-seat pattern start to come in nicely.

I know you're basically wearing the surfaces slightly; but the ball/pivot seat in the base isn't concentric to the ball so it has high/low areas which create "tight spots" and don't let it pivot smoothly as it should.

Once done and clean; grease with some high temp chassis grease and reassemle. Tighten top bolts in cross-pattern; make sure to use some Loctite.

Mine was Wayyyyyy smoother and less notchy; PLUS it would guide itself into third with NO problems.

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
I've always liked the Steeda shifters on my 5-speed cars but I put a Tri-Ax on my T-56 and hated it. Super stiff and notchy like you said. I replaced it with an MGW and it is a world of difference. So much smoother and easier to bang gears with and the handle is much better as well.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Trick Pony said:
I've always liked the Steeda shifters on my 5-speed cars but I put a Tri-Ax on my T-56 and hated it. Super stiff and notchy like you said. I replaced it with an MGW and it is a world of difference. So much smoother and easier to bang gears with and the handle is much better as well.

+1. I had a steeda in my old Gt and loved it. When I bought this car it had a Tri-ax, it just plain sucked....super stiff and notchy. The Pro 5.0 was the same way. I bought the MGW and it's sooooooo much better. I usually don't follow the hype of products, but this shifter does live up to it's reputation. As far as not making it into gear I had that problem also, even with the MGW. I needed a clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster.

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
I would suggest looking into a clutch quad. & cable adj. My MGW was hard to shift in high rpm's and once I got the Fiore, it solved my problem even with a stock clutch. Deffinetly well worth the money for it... lethal performance has them in stock.

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
BigBeez03 said:
So,,,,what's the problem? Aftermarket shifters are more "notchy", thats the purpose. You are going to sacrifice the softer feeling of the stock shifter to have the performance and precision of an aftermarket shifter.
lol yes and no, my MGW is a shit ton smoother and less notchy and noisy than the POS Steeda shifter that was on the car when I bought it...:burn:

STROKD

Takin pictures of stuff
Established Member
mblgjr said:
I had a Steeda unit. Not sure what they're smoking on the spring tensions..but it can be helped.

Remove shifter from car...disassemble shifter (don't be scared)...clean it VERY well and remove all dirt/grease.

Get some medium cut polishing compound or your favorite metal polish (Mother's Mag/Aluminum) and put it on the ball and its seat in the base.

Reassemble and snug bolts (yes with the compound in there like grease)...work it back/forth in your hand for a little while (leave the springs out). Take it back apart and clean everything. You should see the ball-seat pattern start to come in nicely.

I know you're basically wearing the surfaces slightly; but the ball/pivot seat in the base isn't concentric to the ball so it has high/low areas which create "tight spots" and don't let it pivot smoothly as it should.

Once done and clean; grease with some high temp chassis grease and reassemle. Tighten top bolts in cross-pattern; make sure to use some Loctite.

Mine was Wayyyyyy smoother and less notchy; PLUS it would guide itself into third with NO problems.
My "fix" was was much easier...

Remove Steeda shifter from transmission, put shiney orange handled MGW shifter back on transmission, kick Steeda to the side of the garage and post online and sell to someone who doesn't have money for a good shifter...:lol1:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
STROKD said:
My "fix" was was much easier...

Remove Steeda shifter from transmission, put shiney orange handled MGW shifter back on transmission, kick Steeda to the side of the garage and post online and sell to someone who doesn't have money for a good shifter...:lol1:

That was my "fix" too because the Steeda transmitted too much sound for me.

I now have an MGW orange and LOVE it.

GetBitBiatch

Is that your gf's car?
Established Member
The tri-ax is noisy but if you don't like all the noise get new shifter gaskets, got rid of most of the noise. My shifter felt notchy for the first 2 or 3 months but after that it hasn't been a problem.

ViciousJay

Established Member
anyone have an issue getting into reverse.. you damn near have to be HE MAN to throw mine in reverse... anyone with the same issue?

ViciousJay

Established Member
mkscobra01 said:
YES. Mine is almost brand new so I am still praying all this mgw bs isn't hype.

its all hype...

GOD BLESS YOU MBLGJR... HOLY F***in $hit.. took mine apart... cleaned it... added brake grease and WOW ... the clutch pedal is no longer heavy, the shifter is as smooth as butter, and i can power shift like ive never done before... i can truely say my car feels like a high 10/low 11 sec car, theclutch has NEVER flet this way before... thanks again man i owe you one

Users who are viewing this thread