Steeda Q 525

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
image5.jpg

2006 Steeda Q 525

Steeda builds a kick a.... Mustang!!! :beer: It has a 5.0L stroker motor with forged internals and produces 500 hp and 530 ft lbs of torque. I'll take mine in Tungsten minus the big dorky wing on the back. :-D Depending on price of course. :rollseyes

jshen

Established Member
I'd have to delete wing, decal on windshield and stripes...As it is, it looks like a "drifter car" for the rice group. I'm more a fan of the sleeper look...

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
jshen said:
I'd have to delete wing, decal on windshield and stripes...As it is, it looks like a "drifter car" for the rice group. I'm more a fan of the sleeper look...

I agree. I sent them a message to see if you can get the car minus all the hokey pokey body work. Although I kinda like the hood. :-D

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
chuckstang said:
how much?

Don't know yet. I sent them an email today asking for the price and some additional information. Won't hear any thing back until Monday or Tuesday. I'm almost affraid to find out as tuner cars usually are more expensive vs Ford's offerings. :rolleyes:

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Enjoy that stroker...while it lasts.

Knew you would chime in sooner or later Fourcam. :-D

I don't know much about the car other than what I posted. I have no idea if it's the stock block they used or a different one. I sent them a message requesting for more detailed information such has what block they used, who makes the pistons/rods/crank and what boost level they are running.

I don't know much about the mod motors, I'm more of an old school 5.0L guy. I'm gathering from your comment that stroking a 4.6L is not a good idea. Can you explain a little further???

fordification

Established Member
from what I remember, the piston skirt runs past the bottom of cylinder, creating possible piston rock. Plus limited skirt to counterweight clearance and limited cylinder wall thickness.

Grandam engines seem to be holding up well. Borderline between 420-500 I imagine.

trance_in_miami

Established Member
03Terminator said:
image5.jpg

2006 Steeda Q 525

Steeda builds a kick a.... Mustang!!! :beer: It has a 5.0L stroker motor with forged internals and produces 500 hp and 530 ft lbs of torque. I'll take mine in Tungsten minus the big dorky wing on the back. :-D Depending on price of course. :rollseyes

:xpl: :xpl: :xpl: :xpl: :xpl: :xpl: :nono:

Fourcam330

Established Member
03Terminator said:
Knew you would chime in sooner or later Fourcam. :-D

I don't know much about the car other than what I posted. I have no idea if it's the stock block they used or a different one. I sent them a message requesting for more detailed information such has what block they used, who makes the pistons/rods/crank and what boost level they are running.

I don't know much about the mod motors, I'm more of an old school 5.0L guy. I'm gathering from your comment that stroking a 4.6L is not a good idea. Can you explain a little further???

I can tell you what parts they're using without even asking them. Stock blocks with the same 4340 forged 2" chevy journal Kellogg crank everyone else does, paired with forged H beams and their piston of choice.
I'm all for stroking a 5.0/5.8, but not a Modular. A stock stroke motor will have it's piston skirt just peak out of the bottom of the block at BDC. With a 3.75" stroker crank roughly 1/3 or more of the piston hangs out, causing instability at BDC--which leads to piston scoring after as little as a few thousand miles. Stroking also increases side load on the rods, and compromises the block. Those kellogg stroker cranks are only rated to 750hp/7500rpm vs. 1400hp+/9000rpm for stock forged Cobra cranks.
The Grand Am cup motors are big bores (3.70x3.55") and have their own issues; mainly ring problems due to block flex, and gasket sealing issues due to the reduced amount of area between bores.

broeli

Established Member
Ford shoud've kept it simple and just put a stroked 351 in the Mustang similar to what Chevy has done with the Z06 (427ci) :) I'd LOVE to have a modern day 428 Cobra Jet Mustang (using a stroked 351 block). :D Just dreaming of what could've been

broeli

Established Member
broeli said:
Ford shoud've kept it simple and just put a stroked 351 in the Mustang similar to what Chevy has done with the Z06 (427ci) :) I'd LOVE to have a modern day 428 Cobra Jet Mustang (using a stroked 351 block). :D Just dreaming of what could've been
Let me dream a little more. An R-code option that would give it the shaker and a drag pack option that would include things such as optional axle ratio, etc.

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I can tell you what parts they're using without even asking them. Stock blocks with the same 4340 forged 2" chevy journal Kellogg crank everyone else does, paired with forged H beams and their piston of choice.
I'm all for stroking a 5.0/5.8, but not a Modular. A stock stroke motor will have it's piston skirt just peak out of the bottom of the block at BDC. With a 3.75" stroker crank roughly 1/3 or more of the piston hangs out, causing instability at BDC--which leads to piston scoring after as little as a few thousand miles. Stroking also increases side load on the rods, and compromises the block. Those kellogg stroker cranks are only rated to 750hp/7500rpm vs. 1400hp+/9000rpm for stock forged Cobra cranks.
The Grand Am cup motors are big bores (3.70x3.55") and have their own issues; mainly ring problems due to block flex, and gasket sealing issues due to the reduced amount of area between bores.

Thank you sir!!! :beer: I never knew that stroking a mod motor was a bad idea. Kind of makes you wonder why Steeda would do this when most of the other tuners such as Saleen and Roush won't or haven't.

Users who are viewing this thread