Steeda catback exhaust for the cobra

Craig99SVT

Went to the Dark Side
Established Member
Is this a Borla made system? Is it a Stinger system with Steeda's name on it or what? I saw in another post where some people were refering to it as a Borla system. Anybody know for sure?

It looks pretty nice on their website with Steeda etched on the tips. It appears to be a good price as well. And if they are not the same, where is the cheapest place to get a stinger system. Sorry for all the questions, I'm an 03' cobra newbie and I've only had my car one week. Any info is very appreciated.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
The Steeda cat-back is manufactured by Borla for Steeda. My understanding (guys, correct me if I'm wrong) is that the Steeda catback is identical to a "standard" Borla cat-back...the only difference being the exhaust tips (and the Steeda mufflers have "Steeda" stamped on them). I think the standard Borla system still comes with Borla's funky "intercooled" tips, while the Steeda has the traditional slash-cut tips. Oh, and the Steeda is a few bucks cheaper! :-D

It sounds like you first need to decide how you want your exhaust to sound.

Don't confuse the Steeda (made by Borla) and the Borla Stinger! These two are totally different systems!! The Steeda catback uses real mufflers and produces a deep, muscular tone that sounds very healthy at WOT. It doesn't produce that annoying drone at 2K RPMs that 99% of other cat-backs do. It's a great system for someone who wants more sound than stock, but also wants to maintain some interior sound comfort while cruising.

The Stinger is an all-out performance exhaust and is one of the loudest cat-backs available. Look at a picture of a Stinger and check the size of the "mufflers" it uses. I think they are about as big as a can of soda :-D It's a popular system, but it's not for the faint of heart. If you want your car to be loud, look no further than the Stinger. It will make a little more HP than a Steeda, but will also produce more interior noise (drone). Don't get the Stinger if you're trying to keep a low profile! ;-)

-Greg

Last edited:

Craig99SVT

Went to the Dark Side
Established Member
Great info Top Fuel.....But after reading that I was wondering if the Stinger system is really loud (by itself) with the stock H pipe or only when mated with an O/R H or X pipe? And I'm assuming that the stinger has a drone at 2k.

Also, where is the cheapest place to get one?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
The Stinger is pretty loud...even with a stock H-pipe. Judging from the small size of its "mufflers," the only thing that could possibly be louder is straight pipes! :-D I'd say every cat-back has the drone, except the Steeda (and possibly Magnaflow).

I'm not sure who has the best Stinger price. Do a search on "stinger" and you'll probably get the answer. It seems like someone is always running a special on them.

COLDRAIN

I just had a Bassani x-pipe with hi-flow cats and Magnaflows installed and I'm very happy with the system.

RJCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Craig99SVT
Is this a Borla made system? Is it a Stinger system with Steeda's name on it or what? I saw in another post where some people were refering to it as a Borla system. Anybody know for sure?

It looks pretty nice on their website with Steeda etched on the tips. It appears to be a good price as well. And if they are not the same, where is the cheapest place to get a stinger system. Sorry for all the questions, I'm an 03' cobra newbie and I've only had my car one week. Any info is very appreciated.

Lowest price I found was here:
http://www.blueovalperformance.net/categories.php

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Top_Fuel
The Steeda cat-back is manufactured by Borla for Steeda. My understanding (guys, correct me if I'm wrong) is that the Steeda catback is identical to a "standard" Borla cat-back...the only difference being the exhaust tips (and the Steeda mufflers have "Steeda" stamped on them). I think the standard Borla system still comes with Borla's funky "intercooled" tips, while the Steeda has the traditional slash-cut tips. Oh, and the Steeda is a few bucks cheaper! :-D

It sounds like you first need to decide how you want your exhaust to sound.

Don't confuse the Steeda (made by Borla) and the Borla Stinger! These two are totally different systems!! The Steeda catback uses real mufflers and produces a deep, muscular tone that sounds very healthy at WOT. It doesn't produce that annoying drone at 2K RPMs that 99% of other cat-backs do. It's a great system for someone who wants more sound than stock, but also wants to maintain some interior sound comfort while cruising.

The Stinger is an all-out performance exhaust and is one of the loudest cat-backs available. Look at a picture of a Stinger and check the size of the "mufflers" it uses. I think they are about as big as a can of soda :-D It's a popular system, but it's not for the faint of heart. If you want your car to be loud, look no further than the Stinger. It will make a little more HP than a Steeda, but will also produce more interior noise (drone). Don't get the Stinger if you're trying to keep a low profile! ;-)

-Greg
I talked to a Borla engineer last year about that. I was told that the regular Borla system is not the same as the Steeda system. The Steeda catback (muffler) was manufactured to Steeda's specs. They are supposed to be different. Anyone ever see both side by side to prove or disprove this?

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Or more important...HEAR them side by side?

I didn't even know there was a standard, non-stinger Borla system. Anyone know where you can buy those and how much they cost?

florida03

Banned
I was always under the imression that the Steeda
was the Borla with the only difference being the tips.
Whatever, they sound great with the Mag catted X.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
...I was told that the regular Borla system is not the same as the Steeda system...They are supposed to be different.
Thanks for clearing that up. I know it's been the conventional wisdom that the "standard" Borla = Steeda...but it sure sounds like that's not the case.

As for where you buy a non-Stinger Borla... I guess you could try Borla.com? :shrug:

Hey florida03... if you have a non-Stinger Borla cat-back, where did you get it and what do the exhaust tips look like?

I'm THIS close to buying a Steeda cat-back. I rode in a car with one and was blown away by the musclecar sound without the head-pounding drone!!! :thumbsup:

:bowdown: No Drone!

-Greg

03BLKSNAKE

Established Member
Steeda Cat-Back, Bassani Mid-Length Headers, Bassani X-pipe w/high flow cats! It's the way to go. All but the headers were installed in my driveway in about 3 hours. Pretty straight forward. I guess the headers were a BEAR though, local Ford High Performance Shop installed them by lowering the K-Member.
System sounds great though (of course this is my opinion only)

florida03

Banned
Originally posted by 03BLKSNAKE
Steeda Cat-Back, Bassani Mid-Length Headers, Bassani X-pipe w/high flow cats! It's the way to go. All but the headers were installed in my driveway in about 3 hours. Pretty straight forward. I guess the headers were a BEAR though, local Ford High Performance Shop installed them by lowering the K-Member.
System sounds great though (of course this is my opinion only)
\
Those are the headers I was gonna get till I found
out they take 10 hours to install ($750) and they
said they may have to lift the engine. They look
great and prob sound insane. How many hours
did the header install take?

03BLKSNAKE

Established Member
They had the car for the day, but they had to buff out the paint on the car also. They had the car for about 10 hours. The headers were installed by dropping the K-member as I mentioned above. They do sound great!

florida03

Banned
Originally As for where you buy a non-Stinger Borla... I guess you could try Borla.com? :shrug:

Hey florida03... if you have a non-Stinger Borla cat-back, where did you get it and what do the exhaust tips look like?

Got them at Steeda over a year ago, I paid something like
$700 for them back then. Dont have a picture but the
tips flow with the body of our cars. They look good from
the back but great from the side. :beer:

Craig99SVT

Went to the Dark Side
Established Member
It seems I'm more confused now than I was before. :-D

I thought I wanted a stinger setup, but I don't want soemthing too loud and if I ever added an X or H than I think it would be too loud. I've had flowmsters on the last 3 stangs I've owned so I wanted to do something different this time. I've heard magnaflows before on other mustangs and didn't like them, so I guess they're out. Anybody using Dr. Gas X pipes with the 03' cobras? Do they even make one? A buddy of mine had a borla catback with an O/R X pipe on his 98' cobra and man that thing sounded wicked, but wicked loud too,lol.

florida03

Banned
Steeda catback (Borla) no drone, nice even sound till
you stomp on it then it sounds badass IMO. I got the
Magnaflows(catted) X pipe . If you go X pipe no cats
it WILL be louder on a 03.Plus Borla is always top notch
when it comes to quality. Hope I dident add to your confusion.

redline

Established Member
i have magnaflo catted x and magnaflo catback which i like no drone and bottom line it makes h. p. thats what it is all about got 2 choices 1. being sound . 2. being horsepower. i know the magnaflo was easy to install . and pretty sure all others are too. i just went with that combo . for price and horsepower.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I have the Steeda with the stock H. Top_Fuel hit it right. There is no drone. I heard a set of the Stinger the other day. I didn't think they were that loud, maybe a bit louder than mine, but I did think mine sounded better/lower rumble. I can see someone wanting it a little louder especially after you get used to the Steeda's. They are not anoying at all, and do not interfere with the stereo, of course I do run alot with it off now that the cat-back is on. The tips also look very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread