States for Moded II

norcalcobra

Established Member
I live in south Florida, modifying my 04 cobra is easy down here. There are tons of shops locally and there is no emissions testing. The dilemma I face is that the wages done here are very low. I am considering moving to Mass. or MD because wages are considerably higher in these geographics. Can anyone assure me that I will be able to keep modifying my car; my goal is 735hp to the wheels, and passes inspections (physical/emissions). Or should I stay down here where 800 hp street cars are common?

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
Like the others have said the winters here suck and I get drive my car 5 to 7 months out of the year. If you move to Maryland expect to have a winter beater/daily driver and the cost of living is much more than in Florida. That and you're lucky enough not to have state income tax.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Yeah as was just mentioned, the wages might be higher, but so is the cost of living. There is a reason they pay you more up here...you'll need it. You do have emissions here in MD, but you only have a one time state inspection. And the winters here aren't that bad...at least in the southern part of the state.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
like the others have said the winters here suck and i get drive my car 5 to 7 months out of the year. If you move to maryland expect to have a winter beater/daily driver and the cost of living is much more than in florida. That and you're lucky enough not to have state income tax.

+1

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I live in south Florida, modifying my 04 cobra is easy down here. There are tons of shops locally and there is no emissions testing. The dilemma I face is that the wages done here are very low. I am considering moving to Mass. or MD because wages are considerably higher in these geographics. Can anyone assure me that I will be able to keep modifying my car; my goal is 735hp to the wheels, and passes inspections (physical/emissions). Or should I stay down here where 800 hp street cars are common?

As already stated I think you'll find that the additional income you may make in MD compaired to FL will quickly be eaten up by the much higher cost of living up there. Have you checked the costs of housing up there?

Info from a 2008 study says... MD is #6 out of ALL U.S. states as far as overall cost of living is involved and it's #5 for most expensive housing! You may want to do a little more research on whether that extra cash is really gonna be extra!

U.M.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You absolutely have to consider the higher cost of living up north. Don't look solely at the higher wages. Look at both and determine if it makes economic sense to move.

norcalcobra

Established Member
I did check out the cost of living calculator at salarydotcom. It show that i would be getting a 15K per year raise after cost of living adjustment. I am not sure if the calculator factors in taxes. I am not greedy, I live comfortable here in West Palm Beach. I just dont want to pass up oppertunities to advance my career. Also, the freedom we have in FL with motorsports is very cool! I used to live in SF/CA over there i could nt have catless x-pipe and tuned ECU with out fearing the sniffer every two years not to mention law enforcement.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
As already stated I think you'll find that the additional income you may make in MD compaired to FL will quickly be eaten up by the much higher cost of living up there. Have you checked the costs of housing up there?

Info from a 2008 study says... MD is #6 out of ALL U.S. states as far as overall cost of living is involved and it's #5 for most expensive housing! You may want to do a little more research on whether that extra cash is really gonna be extra!

U.M.

Yeah as was just mentioned, the wages might be higher, but so is the cost of living. There is a reason they pay you more up here...you'll need it. You do have emissions here in MD, but you only have a one time state inspection. And the winters here aren't that bad...at least in the southern part of the state.

You absolutely have to consider the higher cost of living up north. Don't look solely at the higher wages. Look at both and determine if it makes economic sense to move.

Everyone has said it. I have been in your situation, but not for the reason you state. I thought I'd be banking when I moved to the DC metro area on 57k 9 years ago. I quickly awoke to realize that I was not banking. It also depends on your field. The great thing about the DC Metro area is that the economy is much more steady than it is in other parts of the country. You are trading things though, I hate my commute and all the dipshits I get to deal with.

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
I love Texas, no state income tax, cheap property like the dude above me said, not the strictest emissions laws, and lots of year round racing action and car events, like TX2K12 and Texas Mile, among others. We have excellent tracks, nice roads, lots of people with modified cars, and I can drive my cobra year round in Houston no problem. It gets hot and humid here but the op is from South FL so the weather is pretty comparable. Plus the job market is good here for several industries. I know I'm getting at least 2-3 calls a week and several emails for job openings from head hunters for mechanical engineering jobs. It depends on the industry the OP works in, but things are good here in Texas, so I'd recommend it if you're looking for a change

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
I want to move to Texas so badly. I hate NY and being taxed to death gets REAL old and the winters never end; that's why NY has the highest % of flight in the country. That and the Libetards running things up here. :fm:

norcalcobra

Established Member
I understand that the weather and cost of living are major concerns. I am also a continuing student. Are there many community colleges or state colleges to go to? And by the reply to the post i gather that modifying the car to 735hp and being able to curse around in it is not a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread