Starting your car after switching to e85..takes several attempts

TX_Snake_08

Established Member
2008 GT500, switched to e85 about 9 months ago when I upgraded to a 4.7L KB.

ID1300s
Fore Level 4

For the first 4-5 months the car would start first crank. Now, I have become accustomed to it taking 4-5 attempts to get the car fired up and running (first few attempts ending in backfires that sound like gunshots).

My question is....is there anything I can do maintenance wise to improve how my car starts? Any help would be appreciated.

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
How cold is it outside when you fire it up?
The lower the air temp outside plus the higher ethanol content will cause a longer delay in starting up.

69b302

Established Member
What is your fuel pressure during starts? I ended up putting a hobbs switch in to help on voltage issues my fuel system was causing. Running the pumps when not needed, also heats up the fuel. Do you run all the pumps full time? Do you ever switch to run gas or put in any injector cleaners? Some people do get residue on the injectors, from E85, but I have not had that issue myself. It does not sound tune related, since it started good for a while.

TX_Snake_08

Established Member
What is your fuel pressure during starts? I ended up putting a hobbs switch in to help on voltage issues my fuel system was causing. Running the pumps when not needed, also heats up the fuel. Do you run all the pumps full time? Do you ever switch to run gas or put in any injector cleaners? Some people do get residue on the injectors, from E85, but I have not had that issue myself. It does not sound tune related, since it started good for a while.

I will have to take down the fuel pressure next time. Run all the pumps full time, haven't switched to run gas or used any injector cleaners. Will have to try that. Any injector cleaner you suggest?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
My car doesn't like to start when its cold on E85. I'm switching to brisk GR12s plugs. what plugs are you running

TORQJNKY

Yeah, I'd do everything BJ said. I've run the same set up for about 3 years now using NGK TR8ix plugs and it starts first crank every time in cold or hot weather. I use Fore pump controller with one pump full time with the additional two pumps kicking in using the hobbs switch.

Blackmax

Established Member
I have the same issue and was told by others its the return fuel set up, mine takes a couple of times to start then pops and coughs before settling in.

Users who are viewing this thread