Starting to get frustrated with this car

Sick03Vert

Banned
:mj:

Ok so I bought my 2003 Cobra Convertible about 8 months ago or so. This car...it's really a love/hate relationship for me I have to say.

First off, almost immediately after I bought it I had to replace the ABS module to get rid of an ABS light on the dash. That was NOT easy to find. Then, about a week later, I had to replace the weatherstripping across the top of the windshield where it meets the top. I thought well, ok...that's just how convertibles go.

Well, since I've had the car I've had a really, REALLY bad vibration at around 55-65 mph. It vibrates so bad the drivers side door panel has created a rub mark on the driver's side dash. :eek:

I took the car to have all of the tires rebalanced thinking it could be simple. Nope. Though they did tell me all four were way out of spec, rebalancing solved nothing. The car does it if you are cruising at speed, and will do it even if you shift to neutral and just coast. Interestingly though, it won't do it if you accelerate through that speed range.

Anyway, so I'm currently still chasing that demon..and a few more.

The last time it rained, I got about a quarter inch of water in the convertible top well which I could hear sloshing about every time I turned. The top seems to be in good condition..there's no holes so there's got to be a leak around some weatherstripping somewhere. But this problem is annoying as heck.:fm:

Then there's the fact that the rear-end has now started making a grinding noise at slow speed. I've been told it's the rear diff going bad. If any body has any sure fire ways to check and see if that's really the case, I'd love to hear them.

I am also having the rough idle problem where it almost dies for about 30 seconds after startup. Not sure what's causing that, although I know there was a technical bulletin relating to that issue years ago.

In addition to that, I'm getting sometimes bad front end pop. At slow speeds, in reverse, if you turn the wheel at all while rolling slowly you can feel in the steering wheel like a "loose" feeling...like the front end is about to drop out from under it. I seriously wonder sometimes if one of the front wheels is going to come off at speed...not cool at all. Of course, I've checked to make sure they are tightened well and they are..but it sure feels unstable.:eek:

Then there's the brakes...which like to squeal all the time. Sometimes once they warm up they will shut up..but other times they squeal constantly. Took it to the brake shop and they said there's no problem with them...but it's an annoyance to me as it happens so often.

So that's my dilemma. When everything works right, I enjoy the car alot. However, that's just not very often. I'm only the second owner of it, and it's only got 45k on the clock...but it's kind of turning into a case of "don't ever drive your childhood heroes" as I don't look at it in the same light I used to.:nonono:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Sucks to hear man! I've had my little issues so far as well. Rear diff leaking (common problem) and now possibly something broke in the T56, maybe TOB sleeve or who knows. I also had a leaky front strut when I did the lowering springs, my car only has 23k miles on it. It seems it comes with the territory on these cars. But I always hear how reliable they are ect, ect. I love my car, so I'll hopefully keep it for a long time. GL OP.

black 10th vert

Established Member
As far as the vibe goes, it could very well be your tires at this point if it was driven for a while with them out of spec on the balance, because they could be worn in that out of balance state. That might clear up as they develop a new wear pattern. There are other things like slight warping in the rotors that could case this too, and could account for some of your brake noise as well. If you don't have stock pads, or they were not bedded correctly after replacement, they can glaze, which can make them squeal.

For the steering, that should be a cheap, easy fix. Most of the time that is caused by worn rubber rack mount bushings, which is very common with these cars for some reason. Just get the MM solid mounts, and you will like the "feel" much better with your steering, and the pop should disappear.

Not sure on the top. You will probably need to have someone spray a hose at different areas, while you stay in the back seat studying the inside to see where it is coming in.

9935todd

Established Member
I feel your pain as well...

I got mine about 8 months ago too. I got it home and immediately had to have the blower snout rebuilt (Thanks Posi), alternator went out, rack bushings as stated above. Heck, I even had to replace the gas pedal where the previos owner broke it and wired it on!! How's that happen??

Anyways, just slowly chip away at everything and you'll get ahead of it. When you do, you'll appreciate it much more!

Good luck, Todd

irttiv

Established Member
Sorry to hear about that. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to buy a vert. Tops can be hard to take care of if it's not garaged.

As far as the vibration, have you checked for any flat spots?

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Sorry to hear about that. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to buy a vert. Tops can be hard to take care of if it's not garaged.

I agree 100%! I would never want a vert for a DD, especially if I didn't own a garage. For my car which is essentially a garage queen that has only seen rain a couple of times by accident, I wouldn't have it any other way, though.:burnout:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I feel your pain as well...

I got mine about 8 months ago too. I got it home and immediately had to have the blower snout rebuilt (Thanks Posi), alternator went out, rack bushings as stated above. Heck, I even had to replace the gas pedal where the previos owner broke it and wired it on!! How's that happen??

Anyways, just slowly chip away at everything and you'll get ahead of it. When you do, you'll appreciate it much more!

Good luck, Todd

Curious what signs did you have showing that the blower snout had to be rebuilt?

04svtsnke

Established Member

Anything having to do with the driveshaft, pinion, or any area that connects them? Your diff making noise may be it going out....Habe you noticed any leaks or check to see if it's full or not.

irttiv

Established Member
Sorry, I meant any flat spots on the tires. I had the same issue with vibration with mine just after I bought it. Turns out had 2 decent flat spots on the fronts. Replaced the tires and no more vibration.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
As far as the vibe goes, it could very well be your tires at this point if it was driven for a while with them out of spec on the balance, because they could be worn in that out of balance state. That might clear up as they develop a new wear pattern. There are other things like slight warping in the rotors that could case this too, and could account for some of your brake noise as well. If you don't have stock pads, or they were not bedded correctly after replacement, they can glaze, which can make them squeal.

For the steering, that should be a cheap, easy fix. Most of the time that is caused by worn rubber rack mount bushings, which is very common with these cars for some reason. Just get the MM solid mounts, and you will like the "feel" much better with your steering, and the pop should disappear.

Not sure on the top. You will probably need to have someone spray a hose at different areas, while you stay in the back seat studying the inside to see where it is coming in.

I agree with this pretty good advice. To elaborate just a tad bit further....

Go under the HOW TO THREAD and prepare to do a brake job on all 4 corners of your car. I'd be willing to say, that either the caliper pin or the brake pads or rotors are the culprit. Pads / Caliper pin Ill bet are dry and not lubricated with silicone etc

Do the brakes first. You dont have to buy new rotors if your stock ones can be turned. This would be a relatively cheap route to begin ruling stuff out.

And you can do the fronts and than if you need to, do the rears at a later time, since you drive the car regularly

After you do the brakes report back to us your findings :eek:)

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
Thanks for the replies everyone. :beer:

Though the car doesn't pull, I am thinking about getting her realigned anyway just to see. Also debating rotating the rear tires up and putting fresh rubber out back to see if that helps at all.

As far as brakes, I will be looking further into it this weekend. Swamped at work right now.

I'm not a picky guy, and she's a sports car....aged a bit. Not looking for perfection, don't much care about the rattles....just want to fix these few main things and not spend a ton of money.

Will also check the rack bushings mentioned and report the findings.:beer:

T800

Established Member
I feel for ya man.

One thing I will add: Just because a shop says there is nothing wrong or that they fixed it. Doesn't necessarily mean thats the case. ALWAYS get a second opinion when trying to diagnose a problem. Many times I have taken my car in for some obscure, hard to find issue and been told "We can't find anything wrong."

No offense to those who may own/operate a shop. But, sometimes the guy diagnosing your problem doesn't know WTH he is talking about. I have chased vibration issues for months because so-and-so said X wasn't the problem, when it turns out thats exactly what it was.

Don't get too down. Once in awhile my belt doesn't slip, rear end doesn't hop, gas I bought was good, the 1st to 2nd shift doesn't hang and the car BALLS OUT!

When that happens...it's all worth it. :-D

Sick03Vert

Banned
I feel for ya man.

One thing I will add: Just because a shop says there is nothing wrong or that they fixed it. Doesn't necessarily mean thats the case. ALWAYS get a second opinion when trying to diagnose a problem. Many times I have taken my car in for some obscure, hard to find issue and been told "We can't find anything wrong."

No offense to those who may own/operate a shop. But, sometimes the guy diagnosing your problem doesn't know WTH he is talking about. I have chased vibration issues for months because so-and-so said X wasn't the problem, when it turns out thats exactly what it was.

Don't get too down. Once in awhile my belt doesn't slip, rear end doesn't hop, gas I bought was good, the 1st to 2nd shift doesn't hang and the car BALLS OUT!

When that happens...it's all worth it. :-D

^this :rockon:

Truth be told, I wasn't looking for a vert...but the bag of bolts I had...Er...otherwise known as a 2004 GTO...was, quite literally, falling apart in the driveway. And we all know there's not a Terminater for sale on every corner, so I did what I did to get back in a Mustang. :rockon:

I don't regret that trade...yeah, I'm trying to sort some stuff out on this car, but that GTO....:eek: I fixed brake rotors, the auto trans valve body, and it had MUCH more to do when I sold it. Decided i would rather pay a higher note for the Cobra than keep shelling out for expensive parts.

Plus....the Cobra wins HARD in the smiles-per-mile department. No car I've ever owned has ever made me feel like a kid at Christmas every time I get in it like this one does. Yeah, I'm frustrated now...but I had the opportunity to sell her for a low-miles 03 Z06 for about $80 more a month...and passed.

There's just something about this car...oh yeah, and that whine...lol.:rockon:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member

I took the car to have all of the tires rebalanced thinking it could be simple. Nope. Though they did tell me all four were way out of spec, rebalancing solved nothing.

I bent 2 of my OEM rims on my Terminator with about 20k miles on the car (ran over a 2x4 at night) BUT the last time I had new tires put on it, turned out that over the years the other 2 rims are also bent (no havn't ran over anything to cause it) so that's probably your problem, and you need to replace your rims.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
That sucks man, I had a vibe in my old cobra and it was a bad Hub might wana jack ur car up and see if you get a wobble from the rims and tires or if there is play in them.

Sick03Vert

Banned
I bent 2 of my OEM rims on my Terminator with about 20k miles on the car (ran over a 2x4 at night) BUT the last time I had new tires put on it, turned out that over the years the other 2 rims are also bent (no havn't ran over anything to cause it) so that's probably your problem, and you need to replace your rims.

I hope not....new rims are out of the question for quite a while.:nonono:

Hoping to get to the tire shop tonight after work and see if they can force test all four tires.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Suggestions in RED:

Ok so I bought my 2003 Cobra Convertible about 8 months ago or so. This car...it's really a love/hate relationship for me I have to say.

First off, almost immediately after I bought it I had to replace the ABS module to get rid of an ABS light on the dash. That was NOT easy to find. Then, about a week later, I had to replace the weatherstripping across the top of the windshield where it meets the top. I thought well, ok...that's just how convertibles go.

Well, since I've had the car I've had a really, REALLY bad vibration at around 55-65 mph. It vibrates so bad the drivers side door panel has created a rub mark on the driver's side dash. :eek:

I took the car to have all of the tires rebalanced thinking it could be simple. Nope. Though they did tell me all four were way out of spec, rebalancing solved nothing. The car does it if you are cruising at speed, and will do it even if you shift to neutral and just coast. Interestingly though, it won't do it if you accelerate through that speed range.
Check for loose axle bearings first if the axle nuts will tighten chances are the axle bearings are already shot. They do not tolerate being loose very long.
If that's not it, it is highly likely your differential mounting bushings at the pinion are shot, worn, deformed, or collapsed and allowing the differential nose to be too low which throws off the the already marginal OE pinion angle and a vibe results. Under power the nose of the pinion lifts up and partially corrects the off pinion angle and ...no vibe results while under power.

Anyway, so I'm currently still chasing that demon..and a few more.

The last time it rained, I got about a quarter inch of water in the convertible top well which I could hear sloshing about every time I turned. The top seems to be in good condition..there's no holes so there's got to be a leak around some weatherstripping somewhere. But this problem is annoying as heck.:fm:

Then there's the fact that the rear-end has now started making a grinding noise at slow speed. I've been told it's the rear diff going bad. If any body has any sure fire ways to check and see if that's really the case, I'd love to hear them. If this is also a shudder your limited slip clutches may be wiped out(likely) or it might need fresh fluid with friction modifier.(not likely)This may also be related to bad rear axle bearings.(likely)

I am also having the rough idle problem where it almost dies for about 30 seconds after startup. Not sure what's causing that, although I know there was a technical bulletin relating to that issue years ago. Pull spark plugs and inspect, replace if needed.

In addition to that, I'm getting sometimes bad front end pop. At slow speeds, in reverse, if you turn the wheel at all while rolling slowly you can feel in the steering wheel like a "loose" feeling...like the front end is about to drop out from under it. I seriously wonder sometimes if one of the front wheels is going to come off at speed...not cool at all. Of course, I've checked to make sure they are tightened well and they are..but it sure feels unstable.:eek: Rack bushings, replace with MM aluminum ones and grease well.

Then there's the brakes...which like to squeal all the time. Sometimes once they warm up they will shut up..but other times they squeal constantly. Took it to the brake shop and they said there's no problem with them...but it's an annoyance to me as it happens so often. Pads not bedded in correctly or performance non-street friendly pads being used

So that's my dilemma. When everything works right, I enjoy the car alot. However, that's just not very often. I'm only the second owner of it, and it's only got 45k on the clock...but it's kind of turning into a case of "don't ever drive your childhood heroes" as I don't look at it in the same light I used to.:nonono:

G04cobra

Established Member
Tackle each problem one at a time..next thing you know you'll have a problem free vehicle and piece of mind that everything was fixed correctly. These cars are very dependable, I've been daily driving my vert for 4 years. I'm at 105,xxx miles and have not had any of the problems you mentioned above. Just fix it right the firts time and enjoy!!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread