Stall at speed. WTF!

BLUBYU2

Established Member
Twice this weekend Im going down 88 around 75 mph and when I pushed the clutch in to slow down at the toll the car stalls. WTF. I just put the CAI in and now I think I have to go get the Flash done. Anyone else with the stall at speed problem and did the flash fix it?

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Never stalled at speed like that. I'd say just go and get the flash since you don't have a chip/tune yet. Also check the CAI to make sure it's not causing your stall.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
The CAI's with the bend .. as you have the DenseCharger ... they supposedly stall like hell.

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
What's your PCM code? Is it YDH1 or an earlier code? Regardless, you should probably have the reflash done. I've got the YDH1 code and haven't had a stall yet. But I haven't done any powertrain mods yet.

On a different subject, I live in Naperville and would like to hear your exhaust. I'm thinking of getting the regular Borla/Steeda Borla because of comments about how low the Stingers are. When you have a little time, please send me a PM with your phone number, or I'll send you one with mine.

Thanks and good luck with getting rid of the stall.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Can you test with another CAI? I would say it is possible the DC is part of the problem. Just a thought.

BLUBYU2

Established Member
Im going to call the dealer today to make an appointment for the flash. I think that if it was the CAI then it should do it all the time not one and a while. I hope the flash helps otherwise I have a DC CAI for sale. :bash:

1CEBITN

Blue by you!
Established Member
The stall is NOT version dependent. Mine stalled quite a bit with the YDH1 code. All versions stall and mods don't make a difference unless your stall is caused by a different reason (CAI). Even so, all 03 Cobras should have the re-flash done under SSM 17542, imho, to prevent situations like this. If you haven't stalled yet you likely will and Murphy says it will happen at the most inopportune time. This is very dangerous and should not be taken lightly! You lose your power steering/brakes when the car stalls so it is hard to steer and apply brakes. If you have to turn the wheel too far, it will hit the lock and then you can't turn it at all. Good luck with that!

To answer the question, yes, the re-flash does fix the stall. Mine has not stalled since I had the re-flash. Just make sure they give you the latest one referenced in SSM 17542.

BLUBYU2

Established Member
Just called the dealer and it goes in Wednesday for the flash and a few other things. Hopefully it fixes the problem.

ModsAway

Established Member
I do not want to downplay what was written above by 1CEBITN because I agree this can be VERY dangerous. I just wanted to comment that your steering wheel will not lock. It is true that you will lose power steering and power assisted brakes but your wheel will NOT lock. Your key is still at the on position which unlocks your steering wheel.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I left all of my mods on during my stall fix EXCEPT for my CAI. It is easy and quick to remove, and you would hate for Ford to call you on it for something so easy. If people here believe that it can cause a stall, I would guess that a dealer would as well.

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Originally posted by djc
downshift.

Before getting the reflash, a friend would downshift to avoid the stall but it didn't help. It still stalled...

Anyways, who wants to spend this much money on a car just to have to take steps to avoid something that shouldn't be happening in the first place (stalling)?

Users who are viewing this thread