Staging fuel pumps

blwn89gt

Established Member
Back in 2018ish I installed the 2.9 on my car and went with a FORE dual hat return style system and pump set up. At the time my dad installed everything and wired up the pumps with relays. I really want to stage my pumps now and get the FC3 controller. My dad was an ASE tech and was good at what he did, but had passed away 2 years ago so I’m trying to figure out the best way to go about doing this. Right now the pumps run constantly and I’d like to set them up to be staged and prime like factory. Any insight is appreciated.

I was thinking do I just take the tank down and take out all the wiring from the pumps to the relays and just start over ?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03' White Snake

Established Member
Nothing should need to be changed from the relays to the pumps themselves. All wiring updates should be in the trunk only. (might need to run a signal wire from pressure switch in engine bay)

I am not sure about the FC3 controller and how it works, but you could do it using a pressure switch to energize the relay allowing power to the second or staged pump. The signal from the pressure switch activates the relay for the second pump.

You have 2 relays correct? 1 for each pump?

blwn89gt

Established Member
Nothing should need to be changed from the relays to the pumps themselves. All wiring updates should be in the trunk only. (might need to run a signal wire from pressure switch in engine bay)

I am not sure about the FC3 controller and how it works, but you could do it using a pressure switch to energize the relay allowing power to the second or staged pump. The signal from the pressure switch activates the relay for the second pump.

You have 2 relays correct? 1 for each pump?

Yes here’s a pic I snapped quick before I left for work.
IMG_3616.JPG

blwn89gt

Established Member
So I’m assuming if I got the FC3 that the wiring from each relay would go to pump 1 and pump 2 on the controller itself, there’s the power and ground, and then a pressure switch ?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I am in the process of wiring up my Fore fuel system. The FC3 controller is just relays in a fancy container. It is a nice looking unit and for my build that counts, at least for me. I have one (not installed yet) I plan on doing the same , staging the pumps and prime like factory. I think all you are going to need is a Hobbs switch that you can get at almost any auto parts store or just order one from Fore. I got mine through Fore, probably paid more than I should have but everything I have seen from them has been quality parts. Auto parts stores often carry the cheaper brands of electrical parts.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You don't need the FC3. If you still have the FPDM harness you can wire the relay as mentioned in the thread I'm linking. But you'll need to make changes to the tune for it work. So reach out to your tuner before starting.

Run the other relay to the Hobbs switch as mentioned.

blwn89gt

Established Member
You don't need the FC3. If you still have the FPDM harness you can wire the relay as mentioned in the thread I'm linking. But you'll need to make changes to the tune for it work. So reach out to your tuner before starting.

Run the other relay to the Hobbs switch as mentioned.

My car is on a break in tune, I have another 300 ish miles to drive it before I can’t dyno it. I haven’t put it under boost yet since I got it back. Should I wait? My thought process was do this now because I’m not putting the car under boost and have it done for the dyno.

01yellercobra

Established Member
He'll just have to make changes to the voltage table IIRC. Nothing horrible. I want to say he has to max out the voltage table.

The other reason I mentioned reaching out to him is not all tuners like that. I set my buddies up this way and gave him a base tune. When he went to his normal tuner they rewired it because they didn't want to bother with changing the tune they already had made.

blwn89gt

Established Member
He'll just have to make changes to the voltage table IIRC. Nothing horrible. I want to say he has to max out the voltage table.

The other reason I mentioned reaching out to him is not all tuners like that. I set my buddies up this way and gave him a base tune. When he went to his normal tuner they rewired it because they didn't want to bother with changing the tune they already had made.

Got it, I’ll reach out. I know fore recommends staged and I get worried about the pumps getting hot both running 24/7. I have the 274 pumps from fore which is 430lph I think. If the tuner is ok with it where is a good place to mount the pressure switch ?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Staged is nice. I haven't seen a difference in fuel temps, but things are quieter at start up. And I'm sure my alternator is happier only having one pump running most of the time.

Can you mount the Hobbs switch behind the glove box? Then you can tap into the boost line right there.

03' White Snake

Established Member
My buddy has his pumps staged, every year he swaps the wires from the relay to pump to change which pump is primary and secondary to extend pump life. I like that idea and will be doing the same on mine.

blwn89gt

Established Member
I spoke with my tuner and he likes staging the pumps when it’s 3. For now I’ll leave it as is, except I want to change the pumps to both prime like factory. I’ll try to do that this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
You have me thinking, which at my age is getting harder to do, I think the reason I messed with the voltage table is because I kept the FPDM in place. I wanted to do that originally to keep the car "legal" as in it would pass the plug in test. I THINK if you go directly to the harness you won't need to adjust anything in the tune.

Maybe you can just tap into the two wires as a test to see how things work.

Users who are viewing this thread