Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Stage V

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • Basically the same bang for the buck/too similar power output

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters

TrickStang37

Established Member
The difference is basically $50. Bang for the buck, which is the better setup? This will be going on a 2.93/4# lower or 2.76/2# lower. Haven't completely decided on the pulley set up.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Flip a coin on this one. The Stage 5's haven't been out long enough I don't think to be proven. Plus have yet to see track #'s from them. On the other hand the Stave 4's have been proven over and over again.

MustangThief

Established Member
When my tires get here, been waiting a month on backorder :( , we will have some damn track numbers. :lol:

but I think it's do what you want, they're both badass, I did only stg V + supporting mods(at once) and it was a HUGE seat of the pants kick. I also picked up 68rwhp and 35rwtq on the dyno so i can't complain about that either.

Now i just need to get to the track!
My brakes showed up at least, it eased my pain a little... just a little though.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
If you already have a port job then, I would say it ain't worth it, but if you don't why not get a stage 5. The only thing is your probaly going to need injectors and fuel pumps anyways, not to make it sound cheap, but whats a couple grand more for a twin screw with all the benefits.

TrickStang37

Established Member
If you already have a port job then, I would say it ain't worth it, but if you don't why not get a stage 5. The only thing is your probaly going to need injectors and fuel pumps anyways, not to make it sound cheap, but whats a couple grand more for a twin screw with all the benefits.

a couple grand i wont have for a couple more years. this is as far as i'm gonna take this motor and then begin to save for another longblock.

FloridaSvt07

Established Member
Find a used Kenne Bell or whipple for a little more. Everyone ends up going that route after a port it seems like. But out of the 2, I would get the Stage IV, seems more consistent. I've only seen a few Stage V's putting down more power but thats with a lot of other mods :shrug:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
So far it seems the stage v really hasn't show anything impressive over the previous stages. For your pulley combo go with a 2.93/6lb or 2.76/4lb!

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
a couple grand i wont have for a couple more years. this is as far as i'm gonna take this motor and then begin to save for another longblock.

You are smart man, I would build a long block too first. I just fiqure your looking at a grand for fuel upgrades, another 1500 or so for port, so many people on here have said a twin screw is much more worth it. Atleat thats what I'm thinking.

TrickStang37

Established Member
You are smart man, I would build a long block too first. I just fiqure your looking at a grand for fuel upgrades, another 1500 or so for port, so many people on here have said a twin screw is much more worth it. Atleat thats what I'm thinking.

$1500 for port? i have it priced pretty much at $800-$900. The fuel mod (BAP) i need regardless, my fuel pump duty cycle is maxed at 5000 rpm. its down to 96% by 6000-6200, but that isnt much room still. So the fuel mod/bap isnt necessarily part of this upgrade im planning. And i will most likely than not be fine with the stock injectors on a port.

If any of you guys find someone selling a whipple or kb for a little more than a port (say, $1200 - $1400) by all means, send them my way!!

THAITED

Established Member
IMO, I always like bigger so stage V. I think you have more room to grow. Why not get a used KB if you can.

TrickStang37

Established Member
IMO, I always like bigger so stage V. I think you have more room to grow. Why not get a used KB if you can.

too much $$ for me at this point. i can sell it afterward for ~$650 probably, which makes it about a $400 rental (stock blower ~$250). Either that, or I stay at this power level for about four years and then upgrade to a kb/whipple.

MustangThief

Established Member
Do what you think is best man, I put down 503/502 on a mustang dyno w/ stgVport/2.8upper/exhaust/intake . No lower.

On a dynojet (at ~10%) I would have made around 553/552 on the same pull with same conditions...

I really want to put a 4# on just to see what numbers I can yank out of her...

PKFIRE

Established Member
Do what you think is best man, I put down 503/502 on a mustang dyno w/ stgVport/2.8upper/exhaust/intake . No lower.

On a dynojet (at ~10%) I would have made around 553/552 on the same pull with same conditions...

I really want to put a 4# on just to see what numbers I can yank out of her...

On the stgVport did you have any work done to your PL and did you add fuel mods?

dynobobstieg

There are difference's between the Stage 4 and 5 and 5+.
Stage 5 and 5+ IAT2s are lower than our stage 4, the RWHP and RWTQ is higher.
If you are not running a Lower pulley the Stage 5+ will show the TQ as if you had a 2# lower. We have done the testing: Our Cobra test car has started with no mods all the way up to Our newest stage 5+, Check it out.
We do have information on the Stage 4 and 5 and 5+ results.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/mb/dynobob

MustangThief

Established Member
On the stgVport did you have any work done to your PL and did you add fuel mods?

I got the Stg V w/ welded OEM TB/PL.

And I added KB BAP w/ wiring upgrade, MAFia, and 60# injs.

Some people may argue the Stg V isn't worth it etc. etc. but I can tell you, I want the most out of my setup without changing the blower, when it comes to that, stieg is the man to talk to.

And again, I did a dyno pull before port, and after port, with the only things being different of: Stg V port, 60# injs, MAFia and KB BAP (So the only go-fast mod is the port, all the rest is supporting mods).

The difference on my shootout tune was 68rwhp and 35 rwtq.

For UNDER a 1000 dollars, INCLUDING new gaskets AND Bob drilling out a few intercooler bolts that I broke off. The job was done 100% and i couldn't of asked for a better job, or service.

For all the mods you can do to your Cobra, and everyone is trying to maximize HP/TQ gains PER mod, I think it's a no-brainer. He has your blower anyway, he's doing the work anyway, you have to reinstall the blower ANYWAY, so why not chip in some extra $$$ and get it back with more kick?

Last edited:

MustangThief

Established Member
And for the people saying the "Stage IV is the end of the road" etc. etc. and "Stg V is the same numbers as IV" etc.

Well I've been here for awhile, and although my numbers are nothing crazy, I can't really recall seeing many people hitting 500+ to the wheels on a MD with no lower...

Silverboost

Established Member
MustangThief take that thing to the track and lets see what she runs! That will answer a lot of questions for everyone. You should trap in the mid 120's to upper 120's with your power level.

Users who are viewing this thread