stage 3/4 steggy with 2.7 upper only. Help

pepridgefarm

Established Member
im in need of some info im looking to pick up a stage 3 or 4 steggy (heard thoose where the best stages steggy put out is this true?) and im wanting to run just a 2.7 upper pulley only, but cant not find an avg HP or TQ #s with this setup due to everyone i see is running either a 2.8 or 2.9 upper and either a #2 or #4 lower... its it really worth doing the lower pulley??? or can i get away with just a 2.7 upper? help

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Mid to upper 400's on pump gas. When I was running a Stage 5 with 2.76" upper I was making 487/446.

When I bumped it up to a Stage 7 and 4lb. lower I went to 493/506.

I switched from an Accufab TB/Plenum Combo to a Dragon setup and went to 484/512.

In the end, I wish I just would have spent the same amount of money on a TVS or Whipple. The ported/pullied Eaton setup screams like hell, which is cool, but at the end of the day, it just doesn't make the power I want.

Stage 7 with 2.76" Upper/4lb. Lower Flyby:
http://youtu.be/6jw-z299XYE

Last edited:

pepridgefarm

Established Member
Mid to upper 400's on pump gas. When I was running a Stage 5 with 2.76" upper I was making 487/446.

When I bumped it up to a Stage 7 and 4lb. lower I went to 493/506.

I switched from an Accufab TB/Plenum Combo to a Dragon setup and went to 484/512.

In the end, I wish I just would have spent the same amount of money on a TVS or Whipple. The ported/pullied Eaton setup screams like hell, which is cool, but at the end of the day, it just doesn't make the power I want.

Stage 7 with 2.76" Upper/4lb. Lower Flyby:
http://youtu.be/6jw-z299XYE

awesome to me the +6hp and 60 tq for the lower pulley isnt worth the $ 400-500... im looking to get as close to 500 as i can with out spending as much money it would to just go tvs or whipple.

Rambro

Established Member
When my stage 4 was on my buddies car it made 485 upper only and stock manifolds. I bought the blower and made numbers in my sig and I have low compression in #7. I also bought my blower and most of my supporting mods used, fore fuel system was the only thing I bought new. If you can get the blower used the port is a nice bang for the buck, but it gets pricy if you're trying to get everything new.

Last edited:

pepridgefarm

Established Member
When my stage 4 was on my buddies car it made 485 upper only and stock manifolds. I bought the blower and made numbers in my sig and I have low compression in #7. I also bought my blower and most of my supporting mods used, fore fuel system was the only thing I bought new. If you can get the blower used the port is a nice bang for the buck, but it gets pricy if you're trying to get everything new.
thats my plan is buying a used steggy stage 4 blower and just selling my stock eaton and just doing a 2.7 upper only now are 60lb injectors a must or can i get away with the stock 39 and a is a BAP necessary? im gonna get tune it on 93 pump

Rambro

Established Member
When my friend had the blower his car had stock injectors, BAP, and a mafia.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
thats my plan is buying a used steggy stage 4 blower and just selling my stock eaton and just doing a 2.7 upper only now are 60lb injectors a must or can i get away with the stock 39 and a is a BAP necessary? im gonna get tune it on 93 pump

Type in "Fuel Injector Calculator" in Google and go to one of the websites. You can type in what your HP goal is and it will tell you what size injector you need to operate at different percentages of the injector's max duty cycle. Although you will also need to keep in mind that most of the online calculators are looking at flywheel HP so if your goal is RWHP, you will need to account for the drivetrain loss. For instance, 600 flywheel HP equates to 510 RWHP when using a 15% drivetrain loss constant. 39 pounders may work, but you'll be stressing them pretty good, i.e. they'll be running at or over 90% of their max duty cycle, which will probably inhibit your tuner's ability to get the most out of your combo and still keep a safe AFR. Most of the online calculators will reflect that you'll need 50-52 pounders for a 500 RWHP goal. If it were me, I'd go ahead and spend the $300 for some 60 pounders.

Last edited:

pepridgefarm

Established Member
Type in "Fuel Injector Calculator" in Google and go to one of the websites. You can type in what your HP goal is and it will tell you what size injector you need to operate at different percentages of the injector's max duty cycle. Although you will also need to keep in mind that most of the online calculators are looking at flywheel HP so if your goal is RWHP, you will need to account for the drivetrain loss. For instance, 600 flywheel HP equates to 510 RWHP when using a 15% drivetrain loss constant. 39 pounders may work, but you'll be stressing them pretty good, i.e. they'll be running at or over 90% of their max duty cycle, which will probably inhibit your tuner's ability to get the most out of your combo and still keep a safe AFR. Most of the online calculators will reflect that you'll need 50-52 pounders for a 500 RWHP goal. If it were me, I'd go ahead and spend the $300 for some 60 pounders.
that's what ill probably end up doing there is tons of 60 pounders fs on parts listing right now might grab a pair
pretty cheap

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Stage III and IV's avoid the issue of the bad torque plate welds seen in some V's, Yes OP these stages are good and will make close to 500RW with upper only..

WaffleMan

Established Member
My old setup was ported eaton with 2.70 upper only, made 498whp/455wtrq on 91oct. I had a bap and 80s, stock ported TB/plenum. Was going to go the lower pulley route too then realized I wasn't going to be happy with just 50-70 more trq, so I got the whipple and fuel system for e85. If I were to do it all over again I would have never messed with the ported eaton. Stock pullied eaton was plenty of fun and if you want more I'd save for a bigger blower!

Last edited:

pepridgefarm

Established Member
My old setup was ported eaton with 2.70 upper only, made 498whp/455wtrq on 91oct. I had a bap and 80s, stock ported TB/plenum. Was going to go the lower pulley route too then realized I wasn't going to be happy with just 50-70 more trq, so I got the whipple and fuel system for e85. If I were to do it all over again I would have never messed with the ported eaton. Stock pullied eaton was plenty of fun and if you want more I'd save for a bigger blower!
yea thats what everyone keeps saying just save up for a bigger blower lol might just do that an just pulley the stock eaton for now just for a little bit more fun! thanks for all the info everyone!

laddanator

Established Member
I spoke with Stiegemeier last week, and he suggested a Stage 8 on my stock Eaton. From what you guys are saying, that's too much?

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I spoke with Stiegemeier last week, and he suggested a Stage 8 on my stock Eaton. From what you guys are saying, that's too much?

Of course he suggested that because he's trying to make money!

After spending the money to get a Stage 7 port with front snout rebuild, I wish I would have just bought a bigger blower. I gained 6 HP when I went from a Stage 5 to 7 and I think the 60 foot pounds of TQ I gained were because of the lower pulley I installed at the same time. In my opinion, the gains you will experience from the porting don't justify the expense. I guess if you were going to run a lower pulley and E85, you might get to close to what you would get out of a small displacement twin screw, but again, the cost of doing that would equal what you would spend on a bigger blower that gives you a lot of room to grow.

A Stage 8 port is going to cost you somewhere close to $1300, plus tuning, fuel system upgrades, and little odds and ends needed for the installation. The next thing you know, you're into it for over two grand and you'll be somewhere around 500 RWHP. And you can say whatever you want, but once you're at that level thinking you're John Force and some dude in a bolt-on 5.0 or Camaro hurts your feelings once you're heatsoaked from a couple runs, you'll be crying in your beer wishing you'd have bought a twin screw! I know I have!

Last edited:

WaffleMan

Established Member
Ya man just get pulley, maf, and get that thing dyno tuned and it'll feel like a monster. Then when you start getting bored with it go for a twinscrew/tvs and some e85. If you are really dying for a ported unit I am about to list mine for sale, it has the 2.70 already on it. I even have a sct2400 maf and 80lb injectors for ya. But honestly my opinion is if you are going to pull the blower you should be putting something vastly superior than the eaton back on it.

Users who are viewing this thread