Sra swap now no play in rear.

SuperStang954

Established Member
Took out the IRS for sra with steeda upper adjustables and lowers. Upr coil overs and strange shocks. There is absolutely no play in the rear. Push down on the rear nothing happens. Go over a bump and it thumps like the car is riding on just the control arms. The spring rate on the coilover is 125 and a 10 inch spring. I even put the softest setting on the shocks still same feeling. Any help is appreciated. I'm taking it to upr Tom. For their opinion.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
if you're using the rear IRS type shocks still ? if so that your problem, it happened to me too. get mach 1 shocks
also i had a bolt not tighten down all the way with my impact .on the lower shock bolt to rear end. breaker bar tighten them

EDIT; not sure about the rear coil overs ?

Last edited:

SuperStang954

Established Member
Thank you will try that Tom. Anybody with strange shocks on a sra please tell me your part number on the rears. It's by the adjuster.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Make sure that you are not running a set up that has hard ends on both ends(heims/spherical eyelets) of all four arms.

If you did that would bring new meaning and emphasis to the term...
Quadra-BIND!!!

I think in this case the term "play" could be better substituted by the phrase suspension travel or compliance.

Last edited:

stal94gt

Established Member
i made the mistake of using the stock cobra shocks when i swapped my irs out and it did the same thing. i went with a set of lake wood 50/50's and it worked out fine. i use upr double ajustible uppers with spherical rod ends on one side, poly in the axle housing, and the upr chormoly lowers with solid bushings at the axle and spherical rod ends in the front. this is also on stock springs so it lifted the rear of my car about 1.5 inches. i would not use polly bushings at the body connecting points cause they dont allow the suspention to articulate as it should when going over uneven bumps. this will tear your torque boxes up. when using rod ends you should also re-enforce your torque boxes cause they put a lot of stress on the torque box on hard launches.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
i made the mistake of using the stock cobra shocks when i swapped my irs out and it did the same thing. i went with a set of lake wood 50/50's and it worked out fine. i use upr double ajustible uppers with spherical rod ends on one side, poly in the axle housing, and the upr chormoly lowers with solid bushings at the axle and spherical rod ends in the front. this is also on stock springs so it lifted the rear of my car about 1.5 inches. i would not use polly bushings at the body connecting points cause they dont allow the suspention to articulate as it should when going over uneven bumps. this will tear your torque boxes up. when using rod ends you should also re-enforce your torque boxes cause they put a lot of stress on the torque box on hard launches.

Good stuff!:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread