Sra in cobra. Now trans chatter?

SuperStang954

Established Member
Installed a 04 gt rear end in my 04 cobra. After finding out that coilovers did not work with my rear for no reason I went with springs and strange shocks which I'm am really happy with the ride of the sra. I ran my first race last night ;turbo RSX claiming 400hp vs my bolt on cobra with sra and upr k-member. I beat him by a car length going from 40 to 130. Ill post video in the kill stories page but back to my problem. After I ran him I started getting crazy noise from the tranny area that I never heard before in 4th and 5th gear on the way back to the spot. Like a chatter and weird driveshaft vibration coming out of first gear really easy. I've been getting the noise since install but gets really loud when I run the car hard. I was also granny shifting the race since I didn't want to mess the car up. But I couldn't say no to this little kid talking crap about his gay blue RSX that will probably get stolen in a week anyway. Anybody have this noise on sra swap. I know these trans are loud to begin with but Ive never heard it make this loud of a noise.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Normal operation on the IRS will have zero in out movement on the output shaft splines and slip yoke.

Yet with enough miles and launches the spines can develop a wear pattern and some looseness.

Now every time the SRA suspension compresses the drive shaft moves the slip yoke further onto the output shaft splines. That did not happen on the IRS.

I would check the interface of the slip yoke with the output shaft and see if there is excessive wobble or looseness.

Even before that I would check to see if the pinion nut has backed off and if the drive shaft to pinion flange bolts are still torqued.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Normal operation on the IRS will have zero in out movement on the output shaft splines and slip yoke.

Yet with enough miles and launches the spines can develop a wear pattern and some looseness.

Now every time the SRA suspension compresses the drive shaft moves the slip yoke further onto the output shaft splines. That did not happen on the IRS.

I would check the interface of the slip yoke with the output shaft and see if there is excessive wobble or looseness.

Even before that I would check to see if the pinion nut has backed off and if the drive shaft to pinion flange bolts are still torqued.

Definitely check the pinion nut and then don't be scared to tighten the driveshaft to flange bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread