Squealing Belt???

04cobracop

Established Member
Hey guys,

First off before anyone states "Search button", I have already done that. I have the damn squealing problem coming from either my idlers or my belt. I have a Steg IV, billetflow 2.93/4#lower, four piece billetflow idler pullies with the new bracket. I'm using a gates K080785. Has anyone found out what the exact problem might be. Is my belt to tight or has anyone found out the problem. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Jason.:thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jason, it seems there have been about 3 threads dealing with this issue over the past week. So you're not alone with this issue. Sometimes it ends up being a pulley or idler bearing issue. Other times a belt. My first question would be does it sound like a bearing, or is it more of a chirping sound? How old is the belt, and does it look glazed? Where is the tensioner set at? It should be about in the middle. And are you using the stock alternator pulley? I know you said you used the Search button, but have you read through the threads over the past week that dealt with this same issue. If not, browse back page by page and you'll find them pretty quick. The input from others on those threads should help you diagnose your own problem.

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
does your belt travel any while you pull the throttle. look at the pulley next to the crank pully to see if the belt moves any. also what type of belt are you using.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
04cobracop said:
I'm running the gates K080785 belt right now. What would be the next size available???

I just went through this last week. After replacing the alternator, swapping out pulleys and stuff, changed from a K080774 to a K080780, problem solved. This was after the install of a 4lb lower, 2.90 upper, and 4 100mm idlers. So I'm not quite sure how you're running a K080785 and its that tight. What am I missing.......But either way, go larger on the belt.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
03snake said:
I just went through this last week. After replacing the alternator, swapping out pulleys and stuff, changed from a K080774 to a K080780, problem solved. This was after the install of a 4lb lower, 2.90 upper, and 4 100mm idlers. So I'm not quite sure how you're running a K080785 and its that tight. What am I missing.......But either way, go larger on the belt.
I agree. That belt should really fit. However, according to my Belt Guide he should be using a K080797 belt. This is assuming his 4-piece idler set consists of one 100mm and three 90mm idlers. Check my Guide and see what you think.
http://stangshiftergaskets.com/BeltSelectionGuide.htm

04cobracop

Established Member
Thanks for all the information. I will purchase a larger belt and let everyone know if that fixed my problem. Again thanks alot guys!!!

04cobracop

Established Member
One more question, with a 2.93/4#lower, billetflow 4 piece idlers set with new bracket and 3.7 alterantor pulley, what size belt?????????????????? In Gates by the way!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread