Squeal Engine bay noise after Nations install

orchris

Established Member
hey guys looking for insight. Installed a new nations alt with big 3. car is running great with now after battling with a volt issue.

noticed after start up It developed a squeal/squeak noise in the engine bay . I also read about the other nations alt post here, and am running a 1.7 mm washer in between the alt bracket and alt itself.

could my belt be too tight? maybe its old and starting too give out? could it be something is misaligned or maybe just a pulley going out ? used my stock alternator pulley , 2.93 upper with idlers. any feedback appreciated thanks.

also switched to a 2mm spacer and will see tomorrow if that did the trick since its late now.

MG0h3

Established Member
Typically I’d say I’d go straight to assuming it’s an alignment issue after the Alt change.

But that belt looks quite old and has a shine on it.

While idling like you are there, dribble some water on the belt and see what the noise does. Doesn’t take much. Very small stream and only an ounce or two.

In the case of a dry belt, it can quiet it down for just a few moments, weeks, or longer.

Sometimes removing the belt and flipping it (so the words on the belt are opposite what they are now) will quiet a squeak. Belts get memory and hold a form.

I’d honestly just try the water method out of curiosity and then just slap a new belt on it due to the appearance of that belt alone.

If the noise persists, try the flip. I had a brand new belt squeak and flipping it solved it and it’s been years without a peep.

If none of those solve it, prob have to assume it’s an alignment issue.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

orchris

Established Member
I
Typically I’d say I’d go straight to assuming it’s an alignment issue after the Alt change.

While idling like you are there, dribble some water on the belt and see what the noise does. Doesn’t take much. Very small stream and only an ounce or two.

In the case of a dry belt, it can quiet it down for just a few moments, weeks, or longer.

Sometimes removing the belt and flipping it (so the words on the belt are opposite what they are now) will quiet a squeak. Belts get memory and hold a form.

I’d honestly just try the water method out of curiosity and then just slap a new belt on it due to the appearance of that belt alone.

If the noise persists, try the flip. I had a brand new belt squeak and flipping it solved it and it’s been years without a peep.

awesome thanks man . and yes the belt is pretty old ngl so I will try some water It not I have a gatorback on the way already

LS WUT

Established Member

All of this. I’m a man of preventative maintained. I’d change the belt regardless. Last thing you want is the belt to snap on some dumb shit.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Best water test is to use a spray bottle. Set the sprayer to a "mist" and then spray the belt. You don't want to get the belt too wet for the test. IMO, since (A) the belt is old, and (B) you have a replacement on order, skip the water test and just replace the belt as your first diagnosis step. If you still have a squeal with the new belt, check pulley alignment and the pulley bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread