Spy Shots—RAM Rebel TRX Mule Caught for the First Time

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
Rumor is the the Raptor will be getting a new V8. Either way there is a thing as too much power and the case of an off road truck that 707 might be over kill. On the street it will be a beast (which most of these trucks will see) but that isn't the intent.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
This'll be another novelty truck like the Ram Viper. Still cool that they're doing it, though. The only way Ford will do another Lightning is if it's an all electric or an electric hybrid, which would sort of be apropos to the name. For now, the Raptor (or the new F150 Platinum with the Raptor engine) is the best Ford truck fans are going to get.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
If they did another lightning with a supercharged 5.0 with an electric assist, that would be sick.

csc427

Established Member
This'll be another novelty truck like the Ram Viper. Still cool that they're doing it, though. The only way Ford will do another Lightning is if it's an all electric or an electric hybrid, which would sort of be apropos to the name. For now, the Raptor (or the new F150 Platinum with the Raptor engine) is the best Ford truck fans are going to get.
The ram viper was extremely niche/novelty seeing as it was 2wd like the lightning. I see this truck as a welcome competitor to the raptor. 4wd, drive year round despite the climate, stand out looks wise from the standard variants of each respective truck.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Rumor is there will be two versions of the SRT Rebel. One, possibly a "TR", will have a 520hp 426 Hemi as the entry level SRT truck. The TRX will utilize the Hellcat motor as mentioned and is likely to be priced like a Trackhawk. But at least it will be more practical than the Jeep.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The ram viper was extremely niche/novelty seeing as it was 2wd like the lightning. I see this truck as a welcome competitor to the raptor. 4wd, drive year round despite the climate, stand out looks wise from the standard variants of each respective truck.

From my observations, 4WD isn't all that great in inclement weather. Full time AWD is where it's at. I've see way too many 4WD trucks stuck in snow banks or the middle of the road because they couldn't get or keep traction.

I’m sure it will. Which is where the overwhelming majority of raptors are driven. On the streets. I’d be willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of raptors are never driven off-road. Just as this truck won’t be.

The overwhelming majority of pickup trucks are almost never used to or for their potential. I honestly don't know why most of the owners even buy them. They keep them all nice and shiny just to drive around town. Driving across a grassy field to park at a kids' ballgame is about as much "offroading" as they see. When I go to Lowes and Home Depot, you know what I mostly see in the parking lots? Family sedans and crossovers. Very few pickup trucks. The most work I see non-business pickups doing is hauling boats to and from the lakes. Nowadays, pickup trucks are just hugely popular novelty vehicles. They're used more for luxury than for work. Which makes it ironic that the Lincoln Blackwood was a failure.

Rumor is there will be two versions of the SRT Rebel. One, possibly a "TR", will have a 520hp 426 Hemi as the entry level SRT truck. The TRX will utilize the Hellcat motor as mentioned and is likely to be priced like a Trackhawk. But at least it will be more practical than the Jeep.

How will it possibly be more practical than the Jeep? You forget that SUVs were initially created because people wanted more practical pickup trucks. According to Jeep, the Trackhawk can still be taken offroad. It just can't tackle as rough terrain as the other GCs, but with proper tires, it's still better than a typical crossover off the beaten path.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
How will it possibly be more practical than the Jeep? You forget that SUVs were initially created because people wanted more practical pickup trucks. According to Jeep, the Trackhawk can still be taken offroad. It just can't tackle as rough terrain as the other GCs, but with proper tires, it's still better than a typical crossover off the beaten path.

Granted, it's an individual statement and obviously everyone has different needs. From my perspective the GC is very small inside even by SUV standards. The Explorer seems like a truck by comparison (and feels like one too). The 2019 Ram has way more interior room with the crew cab configuration. I can actually fit three car seats across the back of my truck. Try putting three of anything comfortably across in the back seat of a GC. Having a pickup bed is so useful that I can't imagine ever not owning one again. The TRX will likely have better towing capacity, and obviously better payload.

So, from my perspective, it's way more practical.

csc427

Established Member
From my observations, 4WD isn't all that great in inclement weather. Full time AWD is where it's at. I've see way too many 4WD trucks stuck in snow banks or the middle of the road because they couldn't get or keep traction.

The overwhelming majority of pickup trucks are almost never used to or for their potential. I honestly don't know why most of the owners even buy them. They keep them all nice and shiny just to drive around town. Driving across a grassy field to park at a kids' ballgame is about as much "offroading" as they see. When I go to Lowes and Home Depot, you know what I mostly see in the parking lots? Family sedans and crossovers. Very few pickup trucks. The most work I see non-business pickups doing is hauling boats to and from the lakes. Nowadays, pickup trucks are just hugely popular novelty vehicles. They're used more for luxury than for work. Which makes it ironic that the Lincoln Blackwood was a failure.

I live in an area where it snows quite a bit. I have a garage full of cars that can’t get out for 4 months of the year. I also hunt a lot. The need for a 4wd truck is great for me and for most in this area as well as any other cold climate rural destination. And much better than awd as I can drive in 2wd the rest of the year. Warm weather states don’t get to experience this. Having a 4wd is a must for me to get to work everyday. My wife’s Range Rover is full time awd and it’s certainly not the vehicle of choice if there’s a foot of snow on the ground.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Granted, it's an individual statement and obviously everyone has different needs. From my perspective the GC is very small inside even by SUV standards. The Explorer seems like a truck by comparison (and feels like one too). The 2019 Ram has way more interior room with the crew cab configuration. I can actually fit three car seats across the back of my truck. Try putting three of anything comfortably across in the back seat of a GC. Having a pickup bed is so useful that I can't imagine ever not owning one again. The TRX will likely have better towing capacity, and obviously better payload.

So, from my perspective, it's way more practical.

I'm not sure the payload for the TRX will be greater than the Trackhawk, due to suspension.

The Trackhawk has a payload of 1,350lb.

The Gen 1 and 2 Raptor Screw has a payload of 1,000. While the payload for a "regular" F-150 can go over 2k lb.

Towing wise, it should beat out the Trackhawk, but not by much.

Out side of that, I agree with the rest.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
8B7C4F1C-B1ED-4E07-82C3-4E9E6E235AC1.jpeg

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Special offroad trucks are cool but I'd rather see the big 3 offering short cab straight line monsters with the engines and tech available now (sans stability control you can't disable).

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Special offroad trucks are cool but I'd rather see the big 3 offering short cab straight line monsters with the engines and tech available now (sans stability control you can't disable).

Just don't think they believe the market is there anymore.
Tremor was a half-ass product and it flopped.
Originally Ford built the Raptor as a Extended Cab truck.
However, it was made into a Crew cab due to a lot of requests from buyers. People want space inside and are willing to shell out the money for more room.
Not sure Ford/Dodge/Chevy want to put R&D into a 2/3 seater pickup with a 500/600+hp engine.
Why, when people will shell out 70k+ for a crewcab Raptor to purely drive to work back and forth and haul the kids to practice/school?

Users who are viewing this thread