Springfield Armory XD .45 ACP?

brainpa

Established Member
I don't know if I am in the correct section or not, and if not, Mods, please feel free to move this thread.

I am new to the handgun market, but was wondering if anyone here has had any first-hand experience with Springfield Armory's XD .45 ACP models?

Any input would be appreciated.

This is the one: http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=104

Thanks

Last edited:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Roadside would likely be better.

I have one, (XD45 compact 4inch barrel). I also have a Glock 21sf, and have also had a Glock 30 next to the XD. (The glocks are a good bit thicker.)

All are great pistols.
I've had about 2000 rounds though my XD, not a single hiccup, no ftf,fte nothing. Pull the trigger and it goes bang.

The trigger has gotten lighter with use, around 4-5 lbs. There is more slop in the trigger reset than the Glocks.

I like the grip safety and chamber/firing pin indicators.

Only knock against the gun is the sights are a huge MFer to change, get what you want from the factory. Trust me.

Good reliable gun, decent accuracy for a combat pistol, pretty much a Glock with the addition of a grip safety. (grip angles are different). No complaints.

Oh and recoil is a nice easy push, (not snappy). Easy shooter, my ex was able to fire it comfortably, and she was about 5'3 though at times she had some trouble racking the slide.

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
No longer a LEO, but still a firearms instructor. You may want to also take a peek at the S&W M&P if you're looking for a DAO pistol. I have a number of students that walk in wanting to hold a Glock sideways, but leave with XDs or M&Ps once they get a clue.

The M&P generally has better ergos for MOST hand sizes. The full size has a great feel (it's the angle of the backstrap that makes the difference). You can also get a 5" if you're inclined to shoot any competition (as the other gentleman said, pick the sites you want before you buy it. In this case they're not tough to change, but it's just easier to take a peek and feel lots of guns side by side before making a decision).

Also....I know the common debate about .45 vs about anything, but it's pretty spendy to shoot .45. There are a few outstanding 9mm defense rounds available these days and it's a ton cheaper to practice with.

Just a thought.

bj

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I've fired an S.A. XD .45 a couple times, very smooth pistol. I really liked. But just like FLYVNE said the rounds get very exensive, very fast!

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I don't know if I am in the correct section or not, and if not, Mods, please feel free to move this thread.

I am new to the handgun market, but was wondering if anyone here has had any first-hand experience with Springfield Armory's XD .45 ACP models?

Any input would be appreciated.

This is the one: Springfield Armory

Thanks

SA is a fine pistol, but in order to help you...

What do you want the pistol for?

• Open carry?
  • Concealed carry?
  • Home defense?
  • Vehicle carry?

Also, what's your experience with shooting pistols? A .45 round can be more difficult to shoot accurately than a smaller caliber pistol. Also, as indicated above, .45 rounds get expensive after time.

onebadsvt

Established Member
own an xd, love the xd. never had a hiccup ever, love the look, feel, cant say a bad word about the gun.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
I have shot the .45 and I own a .40 great handgun for the $$$ and you can't beat the additional stuff you get with their guns (grips, Mag holders...) either.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Roadside would likely be better.

I have one, (XD45 compact 4inch barrel). I also have a Glock 21sf, and have also had a Glock 30 next to the XD. (The glocks are a good bit thicker.)

All are great pistols.
I've had about 2000 rounds though my XD, not a single hiccup, no ftf,fte nothing. Pull the trigger and it goes bang.

The trigger has gotten lighter with use, around 4-5 lbs. There is more slop in the trigger reset than the Glocks.

I like the grip safety and chamber/firing pin indicators.

Only knock against the gun is the sights are a huge MFer to change, get what you want from the factory. Trust me.

Good reliable gun, decent accuracy for a combat pistol, pretty much a Glock with the addition of a grip safety. (grip angles are different). No complaints.

Oh and recoil is a nice easy push, (not snappy). Easy shooter, my ex was able to fire it comfortably, and she was about 5'3 though at times she had some trouble racking the slide.

No longer a LEO, but still a firearms instructor. You may want to also take a peek at the S&W M&P if you're looking for a DAO pistol. I have a number of students that walk in wanting to hold a Glock sideways, but leave with XDs or M&Ps once they get a clue.

The M&P generally has better ergos for MOST hand sizes. The full size has a great feel (it's the angle of the backstrap that makes the difference). You can also get a 5" if you're inclined to shoot any competition (as the other gentleman said, pick the sites you want before you buy it. In this case they're not tough to change, but it's just easier to take a peek and feel lots of guns side by side before making a decision).

Also....I know the common debate about .45 vs about anything, but it's pretty spendy to shoot .45. There are a few outstanding 9mm defense rounds available these days and it's a ton cheaper to practice with.

Just a thought.

bj

what they said.

XD's, M&P's, and Glock's are all in the same price range, and are of similar quality. I bought a glock because I liked the feel of it better than a comparable xd or m&p. Go to a local gun store/range that rents and handle all three.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I have a 5" tactical XD and I love it. As these other guys have said Mine has never once hiccuped or jammed. I have well overr 3000 rounds through it.

I left a friend of mine shoot mine and he sold his glock and bought an XD.

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
I love XD's. I have two - a .40 XDM and a .40 XD subcompact. I have a close friend that has the XD45 Compact and the new XDM45 with 4.5 inch barrel. None of these guns have ever given either of us a problem with many many rounds shot through them.

But like other's said you need to find the gun that's right for you. S&W and Glock both make great guns, it just depends on what fits best in your hand.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
I have a XD 9, my brother has a XD 40 and 45. we reload all of our shells so I dont mind shooting them often. but I think the .45 is a little much in sub compact. I like my 9mm sub and his .40 compact

Users who are viewing this thread