Spring/Summer Deck build

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
Evening guys,

I have a weird question. This spring/summer I want a new deck built on the back of my house. I'm trying to save some money where I can on the build. I can do a lot of it but some of it I will definitely need help with. I have a friend who is a carpenter that has a regular job 9am-5pm, he said he could use the extra cash and would be willing to help me with it and I could just pay him by the hour. My question is have you guys ever paid a friend to help you with anything and if so did you pay them by the hour and if so whats a fair number for something like this? He could use the money and I understand that I just want to be fair.

Thanks,

tistan

Established Member
Depends on how busy your area is and how capable your friend is. Base hourly pay for a decent carpenter is $25-35 an hour now. Make sure he knows how to properly tie it into your house and flash it

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Yeah, $25 should be good if he is a friend, but you should feed him too. Just don't feed him to much at lunch and make dinner late so he works more then 8 hrs. Most decks can be built in a couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coposrv

Established Member
25-35 per hour for a carpenter is CHEAP. I would Flat rate this only. He’s your friend and he’s willing to be working for the weekend or a night or two to get it done is worth much more than 25-35 per hour.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
We are discussing building a deck. It is the one of the most rudimentary task skill of construction. As mentioned earlier, flashing and connecting to the house is the most important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
One thing, treated wood these days doesn't last 30 years like it used to. When I've got to do it again, I'll go with a composite as bad as I hate to.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I used treated for the foundation and composite for the decking. Cost an arm and leg but will outlast me. Used it on the front porch 13 years ago and still looks like new. Other then that also make sure of the footings

My94GT

Established Member
I’m getting ready to build a deck, I priced up having the footers set and substructure set as well. After a quote from a friend for just labor I applied that slotted money towards adequate tools to get the job done myself and will be building it.

Doing side work with friends for cash tends to be a tricky one in my opinion if you try and hash out an hourly rate.

08mojo

Established Member
Find a friend that is willing to help for 'free.' I'd never accept money from my friends for work like this, nor would I want to pay them. When money is involved, expectations change and unwanted stress can easily be brought to the job/friendship.

How high is the deck? I built mine with help from a neighbor that insisted to help and a good friend. It's probably a lot easier than you'd imagine. The nice part about mine is that it was about 6' off the ground or less:

before:
i-nRtJGMv-X2.jpg

after:
i-Dqv7DKg-X2.jpg

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
You need a better friend lol. The ones I have don’t expect anything in return except good conversation and maybe a beer. I just finished spending the past 2 weekends fencing in 3.5 acres with a buddy. With 8 guys working it went by pretty damn quick.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Find a friend that is willing to help for 'free.' I'd never accept money from my friends for work like this, nor would I want to pay them. When money is involved, expectations change and unwanted stress can easily be brought to the job/friendship.

How high is the deck? I built mine with help from a neighbor that insisted to help and a good friend. It's probably a lot easier than you'd imagine. The nice part about mine is that it was about 6' off the ground or less:

before:
View attachment 1482771

after:
View attachment 1482772

We are going with the cable railing also. Looks much cleaner then with wood. What size cable did you use?

08mojo

Established Member
We are going with the cable railing also. Looks much cleaner then with wood. What size cable did you use?

I believe it's 1/4" cable with a coating. It is clothesline from Home Depot, nothing fancy. I agree, I like it a lot more than 1x pieces of wood. I'm also thinking about doing a fence to match.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
One thing, treated wood these days doesn't last 30 years like it used to. When I've got to do it again, I'll go with a composite as bad as I hate to.
This! I had my deck replaced 4 years ago with pressure treated wood, and it is already splitting in places. I now wish I had gone composite, even though it's more expensive. IMO it's the smart way to go. Next time, I, too, will go with composite. No splitting and the color is consistent and doesn't flake, etc.

tistan

Established Member
You need a better friend lol. The ones I have don’t expect anything in return except good conversation and maybe a beer. I just finished spending the past 2 weekends fencing in 3.5 acres with a buddy. With 8 guys working it went by pretty damn quick.
If it is just a bunch of guys going out to do something no one specializes in, then giving a friend a hand is no problem. A good friend understands that their friends time is valuable. Why should a professional give away their weekends to work on a friends stuff for free? I trade out professional labor with friends, but I won't give it away, nor will I let them do something for free. If a friends needs help moving, then I don't expect anything in return for helping.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
If it is just a bunch of guys going out to do something no one specializes in, then giving a friend a hand is no problem. A good friend understands that their friends time is valuable. Why should a professional give away their weekends to work on a friends stuff for free? I trade out professional labor with friends, but I won't give it away, nor will I let them do something for free. If a friends needs help moving, then I don't expect anything in return for helping.

Maybe I just don’t have shitty friends... we value helping each other out more than pocketing money off one another. We’re all professionals, doesn’t mean that I’m not going to help out because a buddy is tight even if I needed the money. What the hell has this world come to when that attitude prevails, it’s no wonder society has turned to shit.

tistan

Established Member
Maybe I just don’t have shitty friends... we value helping each other out more than pocketing money off one another. We’re all professionals, doesn’t mean that I’m not going to help out because a buddy is tight even if I needed the money. What the hell has this world come to when that attitude prevails, it’s no wonder society has turned to shit.
Obviously you are on the receiving end of the friendship.

Users who are viewing this thread