Spring install question...

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
I just got my H&R Race springs in today. Who here has installed springs on their 03/04's... Anyone have pics?

Thanks!

-- Jaret

TRBO VNM

I have installed them, but no pics yet. waiting to make sure everything settles and then I will get pics and alignment. But I have the eibachs.

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
Where did you find the installation steps? Stangnet has a howto but it's for a GT... I'm assuming it isn't THAT much different.

TRBO VNM

well, the front is just like most cars I suppose. I followed the same as I did on my 92 LX and focus svt.

for front (used floor jack and stands, air tools) can probably be done with hand tools.

take wheel off
remove caliper
unbolt strut
lower a-arm
use cro-bar to pop spring out
reverse order for installing new spring

there are a couple small things I didn't mention. I removed the sway bar(I think that is what it is) or end link nut and also removed the brake line from the metal bracket to extend it farther. Also support the a-arm with the floor jack of course.

rear(used lift and air tools)

take wheel off
support arm with jack
remove lower shock bolt
lower jack
support rear IRS frame with jack
remove rear IRS bolt
support from IRS frame
remove front bolt
lower jack and the irs drops down
pull spring out from top, not bottom and it just falls out
reverse to put together

I would buy and put the 14mm bolts in when you do the springs. they replace the front IRS bolts.

JClifton

Uhh it's stock!
Established Member
I have the MM Bushing kit sitting here... planned on doing the springs/bushings at the same time... how long did it take you to do the swap?

TRBO VNM

springs took a bit longer than I wanted or should take. I didn't have a cro bar when I did the fronts so I sat around and waited for a friend to bring one.

fronts should take about an hour total from start to finish.
rears will take a couple hours probably. Took me a while the first time because I couldn't figure out how to get them out. I didn't realize I had to drop the IRS bolts.

The hard part about the rears is getting the IRS aligned back up. I had to use a cro bar and use it in the rear connection point to pry the IRS foward to get the front bolt in. I also recommend loosening your exhaust where the catback bolts up the the x/h pipe. Makes things a lot easier getting to the front bolt. when you do it, PM me if you are having problems and I will get you my number.

Users who are viewing this thread