Spotted!!! Gt500 Testing At Firebird Raceway!!

fordification

Established Member
thought the weight was covered already.
do a breakdown of weight differences between the different components then. easiest way.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
TRXboy said:
Yesm witch would explain why an 05 GT is, what, 3500 and change? Theres the 40% increase in stiffness, now where the hell is the GT500 getting the extra 300 on top of that.

'05 GT=Aluminum Block GT500 = Iron Block
'05 GT=3 valve heads GT500 monstrous Ford GT 4 valve DOHC heads
'05 GT no power adder GT500 Supercharger/intercooler
'05 GT rotors/wheel combo smaller & lighter GT500 14" rotors (those things are like flywheels!!) and bigger/wider wheels & tires.

Where the rest is, I'm not sure! :thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Almo

Established Member
chuckstang said:
Dude you car is a pig and you do realize that there is more then just peak hp :poke:
Term owners will have a rude awakening when these things come out and start to get modded.
The bigger motor and more efficient blower plus the solid axle will kill you from a dig and will have that much more top end with the added cubes.

My car is a pig? The GT500 isn't? That is what I am trying to point out, how ironic of you to mention the obvious. Somebody get this kid some cookies!

And what do you mean about peak HP? You act like the curve on one will be so much different than the other. :lol1: You're barking up the wrong tree if you think you're explaining curves to me. :nono:

You act like the GT500s are going to run circles around the 03/04s.

475 SAE BHP = right at 420 to the wheels with a live axle if numbers are truly SAE registered by Ford.

Me personally, seeing many Cobras putting down 385 to the wheels and still being stock -- add 50 CI more with another Lysholm blower and you're looking at 40-50 more HP with a little better TQ curve. That would put the GT500 right about 425-435 to the wheels. If indeed a GT500 makes this at the wheels which I feel will be fairly easy, adding 200-300 more pounds and the only thing you're going to notice is a bit more kick in the seat from the TQ curve and the live axle, especially from a dig if you compare it to a 03/04. Other than that, Stock for Stock the GT500 isn't going to put bus lengths on the 03/04s as you act like it will do.

And back to your pig statement. I actually agree with you, my Cobra feels like it weighs a ton. I guess coming out of a 650 RWHP GT that weighed in right at 3100 lbs. would have me say this.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Almo said:
My car is a pig? The GT500 isn't? That is what I am trying to point out, how ironic of you to mention the obvious. Somebody get this kid some cookies!

And what do you mean about peak HP? You act like the curve on one will be so much different than the other. :lol1: You're barking up the wrong tree if you think you're explaining curves to me. :nono:

You act like the GT500s are going to run circles around the 03/04s.

475 SAE BHP = right at 420 to the wheels with a live axle if numbers are truly SAE registered by Ford.

Me personally, seeing many Cobras putting down 385 to the wheels and still being stock -- add 50 CI more with another Lysholm blower and you're looking at 40-50 more HP with a little better TQ curve. That would put the GT500 right about 425-435 to the wheels. If indeed a GT500 makes this at the wheels which I feel will be fairly easy, adding 200-300 more pounds and the only thing you're going to notice is a bit more kick in the seat from the TQ curve and the live axle, especially from a dig if you compare it to a 03/04. Other than that, Stock for Stock the GT500 isn't going to put bus lengths on the 03/04s as you act like it will do.

And back to your pig statement. I actually agree with you, my Cobra feels like it weighs a ton. I guess coming out of a 650 RWHP GT that weighed in right at 3100 lbs. would have me say this.

Like I said before, the 03/04s didn't have a prayer of running 130 traps in the quarter with a stock longblock/blower. The Terms were nice cars, but their performance is going to be eclipsed just as always happens when a newer model arrives. Not sure why that's so hard for you to understand.
Aside from the motor having assloads more potential, not everyone wants to pimp a 79 Fairmont chassis nor band aid IRS.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Formula51 said:
I am not a GT500 hater, but we should be realistic. Based on the info we have seen recently it is +/- 300lbs heavier than the 03/04 Cobra.

03/04 Cobra=3650lbs
Shelby GT500=3920lbs

It's been mentioned that the optional Mach 1000 sound system adds 70 lbs. So if you order a GT500 without this (pos) option, it'll come in at 3850 lbs. That's 200 lbs. more the Terminators.
It's funny, but I remember back in 02 right before the 03s were released, that some of the 01 owners were convinced that their Cobras would outperform the Terminators because of their weight difference. Well, we know that outcome. Expect the same thing to happen to the Terminators when the GT500s arrive. :coolman:

Almo

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Like I said before, the 03/04s didn't have a prayer of running 130 traps in the quarter with a stock longblock/blower. The Terms were nice cars, but their performance is going to be eclipsed just as always happens when a newer model arrives. Not sure why that's so hard for you to understand.
Aside from the motor having assloads more potential, not everyone wants to pimp a 79 Fairmont chassis nor band aid IRS.

You really think a GT500 is going to trap 130 with a stock longblock/blower? :lol1:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
This car is a complete different chassis from the "ground up". It is approximately 40% stiffer than a SN95 chassis. That's where a lot of the weight is coming from.

People need to get a refill on their Prozac!! Give the weight a rest! Nobody seems to remember going through this four years ago with the '03?!??!! I still remember the '99 and '01 gang saying "man that '03 is such a heavy pig, my (insert year Cobra here) will kill that thing because it weighs 200# more than my car!!!" :rollseyes Didn't they get a surprise?!! :read:

There you go with a voice of reason again. :thumbsup:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Just to look at the efficiency differences at the same boost levels between a twin screw and a roots is insane. Take a 03/04 cobra at 15 psi on the stock blower and it makes an average of about 450 rwhp with the standard exhaust and CAI mods, some higher, some lower. Then look at the power I made with a Twin Screw at 15 psi with the same mods, 589 hp. There is quite a difference, and that is what makes it so hard to use the GT as an example to what the GT500 is going to do. Now for those planning on a blower swap, yes you will make very insane numbers...this is a fact. :) Another thing to take into consideration is how much the drive trains on the GT and the GT500 differ, and what the efficiency differences are.

Fourcam330

Established Member
Almo said:
You really think a GT500 is going to trap 130 with a stock longblock/blower? :lol1:

I'll bet dollars to donuts. All it will take at 4050lbs is 600rw, which is no problem.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Fourcam330 said:
I'll bet dollars to donuts. All it will take at 4050lbs is 600rw, which is no problem.

I agree with that 100%, but he did also state with the stock blower, and I just can't see it making 600rwhp with the stock blower. Stock long block yes, but the blower will be the limiter.

MedVader

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
What's it take to get a svelte 3850lb (200lb driver plus 3650lb coupe) 03/04 to trap 130+ in the 1/4?

A Whipple/KB twin screw/exhaust/big ass cone intake/tune.

A fella named the TheWiz did it about year ago over ModularFords.

He still ended up hurting his motor eventually and having to do a rebuild. But nevertheless, he did it. A stock Cobra plus the 3 mods and tune on the IRS/T56.

And I'm also betting on hearing about intake/exhaust/pulley/tuned GT500s running 130+ by about this time next year.

Fourcam330

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
I agree with that 100%, but he did also state with the stock blower, and I just can't see it making 600rwhp with the stock blower. Stock long block yes, but the blower will be the limiter.

Assuming bolt ons and exhaust, 625rw should be doable with the stock blower.

Fourcam330

Established Member
MedVader said:
A Whipple/KB twin screw/exhaust/big ass cone intake/tune.

A fella named the TheWiz did it about year ago over ModularFords.

He still ended up hurting his motor eventually and having to do a rebuild. But nevertheless, he did it. A stock Cobra plus the 3 mods and tune on the IRS/T56.

Exactly, you need an aftermarket twin screw.

Almo

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:

Oh by the way... you last line says a lot about you.

I am hating on the weight and you in turn are hating on Mustangs in general. :nonono:

Almo

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:

And you think the GT500 will see 600 to the wheels on the stock blower? :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread