Spinning stock blower to 19K RPM....

04gtstang

Established Member
So any problem with doing this? Supposedly the eaton is rated @ 14,000RPM. Well my car came with a 6# lower, but from what I understand its only actually seeing around 13.5PSI. Thats around 16K RPM. I hear the car made 441/451, and thats with bassani O/R X and catback. Also has a filter with heat shield.

#s seem a bit low to me :shrug: so im thinking of cranking it up. Thinking about throwing on a 3.1 pulley and seeing what that does. Its also going on the dyno for the first time since I have owned it, Thursday. I ported the plenum and added the evenflow cooling mod....otherwise just like it was before when the previous owner dynod it.

Stock pulley doesnt look nice anyways....so its a good excuse. :beer:

BTW the car feels very strong and I have yet to run into any heat soaking issues where the car seems to loose power. Also logged IAT 2s on a 1st-mid 4th pull and saw a 30* temp rise or so. SO its obvious the blower isnt out of its range yet....well until you go past around 6400 and it doesnt seem to pull very hard. MAF will need to be replaced....seeing 1017 AD counts on that run. :nonono:

thanks for any help, and im just kicking this idea around since I found out my #s were 10RWHP lower than I was told when I bought it. Yea im sensitive...well call it an excuse to make me mod :D Let me know your opinions. Thanks!

Last edited:

Mike H

I Took My Own Avatar Pic
Established Member
That's 40% over stock, it should give 16.x psi. I've read that the Eaton's sweet spot is 15.75 psi. Any faster and you increase your blower discharge temp. With your 6# lower add a 3.2 or a 3.1 upper and you'll be right there.
FWIW

Last edited:

Tractionless1

Established Member
Stock blower unported I ran 8lb/3.10 combo. spins at 20,024 rpm (17psi) and made 480/565 with power falling off at 5k rpm. Obviously not ideal, the charge was overheated. IAT2's were at 160 after the pull.

I had the blower Stieg. IV ported redynoed this past weekend and put down 524/557 with power falling at 6200rpm. IAT2's were at 130 after the pull.
Both runs on pumpgas.

If you are unported try and run around 13-14 psi that way the charge air doesn't head up as much.

zeus201

Established Member
Stock blower unported I ran 8lb/3.10 combo. spins at 20,024 rpm (17psi) and made 480/565 with power falling off at 5k rpm. Obviously not ideal, the charge was overheated. IAT2's were at 160 after the pull.

I had the blower Stieg. IV ported redynoed this past weekend and put down 524/557 with power falling at 6200rpm. IAT2's were at 130 after the pull.
Both runs on pumpgas.

If you are unported try and run around 13-14 psi that way the charge air doesn't head up as much.

I have 8# lower and stock upper and was thinking about going to a 3.1 upper. Did you like that combo?

04gtstang

Established Member
Hmm thanks for the comments. Im still unsure what I need to do...maybe I should go with a 3.2 upper. I think the 3.1 may be a bit much for it since its unported. 3.4 seems like its a waste of money to gain 1 PSI or so.

3.2 shows I should see around 15.X PSI. Any other way to combat high IAT2s?

v8hunter

Established Member
What other mods do you have?

Both runs on pumpgas.

MustangThief

Established Member
Hmm thanks for the comments. Im still unsure what I need to do

Port the blower first, then decide what to do.

I'm running a 2.8 upper with no lower and while datalogging it seems pointless to add any more RPM to the blower until it's ported.

People push these Heatons too far and are generating A LOT of heat...

03cobramanIII

Banned
i spun my old ported heaton it 21,272 rpm's , it sounded great! = 20 psi boost.
2.75/9.0 , i still wasn't happy, so got the k/b ,i like!

Tractionless1

Established Member
I am in the Ft. Pierce Area.

Other mods
C&L inlet w/cai, Mafia, 60#'s, LT's, uncatted X quasi H pipe, magnaflow cat back, 7IX's @ .025, HE, Icebox (no ice used during pulls), BAP, Accufab.

The 3.1/8lb combo was on the car when I bought it so I left it there.....against everyone's will though. They said it would never be efficient. HA!! Peak HP 'till 6200rpm.....power falls off my a_s!! The 8lb. is what accounts for the whipplesque tq. Just remember it will come on very soon and very hard!!

truebluecobra

Been there - Done that...
Established Member
There is no reason too turn an Eaton car more than 6200 RPM max and I say that for the nay-sayers,I shift at 6000 and thats where the best times are for my car - after that you are just making noise !!!!

:coolman:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I shift at 6000 and thats where the best times are for my car - after that you are just making noise !!!!
Agreed, the Eaton runs out of steam past 6K but pulls hard in the mids when overspun. To the OP, it's usually a good idea to port the blower first before spinning it that fast. Myself, I would rather not pump air hotter than 130* into the engine.

04gtstang

Established Member
^ I noticed you said in your posts that you said to not spin the eaton above 18,500RPMs. A 3.2 upper would put me to 18,4XX @ 6500...so what happens past 18.5K? Just too much heat?

Thanks for the replys guys! And look at my graph....im making power to 6300 before it starts to drop. Shifting @ 6K will cost me. Most likely ill shift 1st @ 6400, 2nd @ 6300, 3rd @ 6200. ALSO contrary to popular opinion....my stock tach is DEAD on accurate. Just watch the vid. :)

03CobraDom

Established Member
^ I noticed you said in your posts that you said to not spin the eaton above 18,500RPMs. A 3.2 upper would put me to 18,4XX @ 6500...so what happens past 18.5K? Just too much heat?

Thanks for the replys guys! And look at my graph....im making power to 6300 before it starts to drop. Shifting @ 6K will cost me. Most likely ill shift 1st @ 6400, 2nd @ 6300, 3rd @ 6200. ALSO contrary to popular opinion....my stock tach is DEAD on accurate. Just watch the vid. :)

i'm also curious to know, as i plan on running a 2.8/4lb lower combo, which according to the chart on here would spin it @ 19900 rpms...Yet many people on here and tuners have both said that this is probably one of the best combos to run...Curious as to what Steig says is the best combo with a Stage IV port?

Users who are viewing this thread