Spider Pictures: Did I find a large brown recluse?

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
A large insect caught my eye while I was out jogging today and my first reaction after realizing it was fairly large was that it was a potato bug. I reluctantly stopped to take a closer look and could not believe that it was in fact a spider. I found a nearby stick and coaxed the spider aboard which actually proved effortless. Even though I was about 3 miles from home, I was unwilling to let it go so I had no choice but to walk the rest of the way with the spider on the stick. Its movement was slow and fluid so I was not overly worried as the spider continuously crawled from one end of the stick to the other. When it reached the halfway point I carefully took hold of the stick end it was working its way away from. When I finally made it home I popped the spider into its new home!

I really have no idea what species of spider this is, but certainly it has a resemblance to the fearsome brown recluse:

spiderlarge01.jpg

spiderlarge02.jpg

spiderlarge03.jpg

spiderlarge04.jpg

spiderlarge05.jpg

spiderlarge06.jpg

spiderlarge07.jpg

spiderlarge08.jpg

spiderlarge09.jpg

:rockon:

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye
Looks like a wolf spider. Not a recluse! Nice find. Found one the other day about 50% bigger.... Lifted up a board and it ran up my arm... haha

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye
Is it a Wolf Spider? Does the thing have a violin or fiddle shape on its back?

I don't want it biting me, either freaking way!!

It won't bite you. Pick it up in your hand. Seriously it won't, wolfs are great pest controllers and get quiet large. It's a female as well, males are about 1/2 the size.

wma8706

Established Member
wolfs are good spiders...harmless and great pest controllers. The brown recluse or violin spider looks like this...
27903556082850410c2fbfz4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread