Spider Bite Question??

04spinbra

Established Member
I got a call from my sister about 20 minutes ago and she said my nephew got bit by a spider on the back of his head. My question is there a way to tell you what kind of spider it is? She said that its about a dime size lump and when she popped it green stuff came out. She said that it is still hurting my nephew. I know this is worthless pretty much without pics but I figured I would try! Thanks

Oh and there is another lump on his neck now about nickel size.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I got a call from my sister about 20 minutes ago and she said my nephew got bit by a spider on the back of his head. My question is there a way to tell you what kind of spider it is? She said that its about a dime size lump and when she popped it green stuff came out. She said that it is still hurting my nephew. I know this is worthless pretty much without pics but I figured I would try! Thanks

Oh and there is another lump on his neck now about nickel size.

I would at least call a doctor on that one. I'm no expert but most average spider bites don't cause puss to come out from my experience. From my guess it is a bite from a spider with a stronger necrotic venom which could be one of that bad ones. Sorry, don't really know though.:shrug:

04spinbra

Established Member
I would at least call a doctor on that one. I'm no expert but most average spider bites don't cause puss to come out from my experience. From my guess it is a bite from a spider with a stronger necrotic venom which could be one of that bad ones. Sorry, don't really know though.:shrug:

cool!

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
Could be a staph infection.
Which is what my daughter ended up happening, after the dumbass doc in the ER looked at her for about 2 secs and said "oh it's just a spider/insect bite".
Eitherway, pus means infection and I recommend going to the doc.

Mayo5

Established Member
I've never heard of a green puss, it must be a pretty bad infection of some sort. Take him to the doctor or at least a child facility that is open now.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Any bite that gets a reaction that fast, it is time to go see the doctor. If it is really aggressive, you may want to head for the ER. The nurse next door can probably better inform you on that decision, but ... is the car gassed up?

Good luck.

Jim Snover

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Any bite that gets a reaction that fast, it is time to go see the doctor. If it is really aggressive, you may want to head for the ER. The nurse next door can probably better inform you on that decision, but ... is the car gassed up?

Good luck.

Jim Snover

+1 my guess is that its been there for a day or two and they just noticed it. can't imagine pus coming out of a bug bite that fast. can't tell you how many times people would come in and tell us that they had been bit by a spider and that's what caused the abscess on their arm. most of them were injecting stuff

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
You know what? I just assumed the bite had just occurred; I see now that the OP did not specifically state that.

So:

If it has been several days since the bite and is only now showing a reaction, it can probably wait till regular hours.

If this bite has occurred in the last several minutes or hours, and is showing this kind of reaction that quckly, I'd head for the ER, or an ugent care facility if you have one in your area.

Jim Snover

+1 my guess is that its been there for a day or two and they just noticed it. can't imagine pus coming out of a bug bite that fast. can't tell you how many times people would come in and tell us that they had been bit by a spider and that's what caused the abscess on their arm. most of them were injecting stuff

04spinbra

Established Member
I had a similar reaction from a fireant bite, could that be a possibility?

Anything is a possibility living in Florida! I've been talking to my sister on the phone and I'm gonna head to town in the morning about 8 and take him to the doctor. Our ER sucks nobody goes to the hospital around here unless taken in an ambulance its just that bad. Their neighbor said she would stay the night and keep an eye on him. So hopefully it wont get worse.

04spinbra

Established Member
You know what? I just assumed the bite had just occurred; I see now that the OP did not specifically state that.

So:

If it has been several days since the bite and is only now showing a reaction, it can probably wait till regular hours.

If this bite has occurred in the last several minutes or hours, and is showing this kind of reaction that quckly, I'd head for the ER, or an ugent care facility if you have one in your area.

Jim Snover

I'm not sure when it happened? She was giving him a bath and scrubbed his head and he yelled, so she looked at it and there was a lump. She said she was giving him a bath around 7pm.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
If the nurse is there, just go with her opinion. But if she says go, then go.

Jim Snover

Anything is a possibility living in Florida! I've been talking to my sister on the phone and I'm gonna head to town in the morning about 8 and take him to the doctor. Our ER sucks nobody goes to the hospital around here unless taken in an ambulance its just that bad. Their neighbor said she would stay the night and keep an eye on him. So hopefully it wont get worse.

I'm not sure when it happened? She was giving him a bath and scrubbed his head and he yelled, so she looked at it and there was a lump. She said she was giving him a bath around 7pm.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
Just because the neighbor is a nurse, doesn't mean she is intelligent or knowledgeable. Green definitely means infection and if he wasn't feeling pain yesterday from it, that means it has gotten worse rather quickly. I would at least go see a doctor in the AM. I would say head to the ER, but if your ER is as shitty as our local hospital, it won't do any good to go there tonight.

Check his temperature. Is he having headaches, dizziness or any other physical symptoms?

THE_STIG

Established Member
I would say go to the ER right now, its better to go and have they say its nothing heres some antibiotics then have it develop into something far worse.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I had this same thing happen to me about 7 years or so ago. It was at the base of my head right at the hairline. My neck got so tight from the swelling I could barely breathe. I went to my family doctor and he looked at it under a big magnifying glass and said it looked like a spider bite. He then referred me to another doctor who took me right in and examined me. He concluded it was a spider/insect bite because with his better enhancement equipment he could see the puncture wounds. They gave me strong antibiotics and steroids for it. The swelling went down fairly quickly but as soon as the steroids and antibiotics was done in 3 weeks my neck swelled up again. I went back to the doctor and they again suggest antibiotics first and again it went down but swelled right back up after I completed the course. So back to the surgeon who took one look and said, "It needs to come out!" I said when? He said what about tomorrow? I said ok. So next day I went to his office and he gave me a local numbing shot and proceeded to cut the stuff out. I told him no matter what is was I wanted to see what it was in my head. He asked if he could clean it up and put it in sterile water first for a biopsy. I said yes. So after he cleaned me up and stitched me up, he handed me the bottle. Nasties looking grey ball I had ever seen. He said the poison had gooten into the hair folicles and set up infection. Lots of nasty looking stuff in it too. They biopsied it and said nothing to worry about.

Definitely get the child to the doctor. Mine never pussed but it sure did swell. The first time it swelled it was about half the size of a golf ball. The second time not quite as big. Another thing is, once you get spider bitten it seems that you get bit a lot more. They say that spiders can sense that you have been bitten and will try to bite you. Just an old wives tale but I have benn spider bit several times since just not as bad as that.

04spinbra

Established Member
Just because the neighbor is a nurse, doesn't mean she is intelligent or knowledgeable. Green definitely means infection and if he wasn't feeling pain yesterday from it, that means it has gotten worse rather quickly. I would at least go see a doctor in the AM. I would say head to the ER, but if your ER is as shitty as our local hospital, it won't do any good to go there tonight.

Check his temperature. Is he having headaches, dizziness or any other physical symptoms?

The ER sucks! But I took him to the Doctor today and he said it wasn't a spider bite but it was some kind of bite! He gave him some antibiotics and sent us about are way but he said the second lump on his neck was from the body fighting of infection! Thank you everyone for the help!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread