Speedhut gauges light adjustment HELP

whiplash306

Established Member
Hey there, I've got some Speedhut gauges that I've lost the instructions on how to adjust the back lighting on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! They're the same gauges that several others have that match the lighting and display of the car....
photo-2.gif

Jefe

Established Member
I didnt know they could be adjusted. Turning the headlight knob doesnt work, call Speedhut. Great customer service and post up what they tell you. Id love to get a little more brightness from mine

801-221-1460

CobraMac

Established Member
Hey there, I've got some Speedhut gauges that I've lost the instructions on how to adjust the back lighting on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! They're the same gauges that several others have that match the lighting and display of the car....
photo-2.gif

I'll find my instructions tonight and post up how to do it. How'd you get it so the needle isn't lit up on your gauges?! Mine are and I want to get rid of it lol.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
I think you have to run a separate dimmer. Do you have them wired to blue/white dimmer wire? I believe they will just give you one if you call and ask..that is what i did but never ended up installing mine.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
mine look the same, and my boost gauge is off....i need to send it in and get the lighting issue remedied.
please post back with what you hear from them

whiplash306

Established Member
Man, I'm sorry guys. For whatever reason, my email notifications aren't working, so I'm not sure when there's been updates to threads I've either started or am participating in.

I did call and spoke with Aaron at Speedhut. He's a totally cool guy who spent a good fifteen minutes on the phone with me.

First, it's important to know that my setup is connected through the dimmer switch so that the gauge lights can be adjusted brighter/dimmer along with the dash lights using the factory dimmer nob. Long story short, there is no way to adjust the lighting by making some random adjustment(s) to the gauges. Unfortunately, from what Aaron said, it's not uncommon for the dimmer switch to be supplying only 8-10 volts of electricity vs. the 12 volts that the gauges are supposed to be fed. As a possible fix, he suggested I should disconnect the connection point of my gauges from the dimmer and instead, connect them directly into the lights. From the sound of it, this would be my most likely full 12 volt source.

However, if the above did not work, there is a separate dimmer that can be purchased through them. I honestly forgot the price of it, but I don't remember it being much. Honestly, since speaking with Aaron, I've been unable to take a volt meter to my gauges, so I don't know (exactly) what they're being fed, power wise. Work has owned me. So I'll have to wait until a later time to deal with this issue.

....How'd you get it so the needle isn't lit up on your gauges?! Mine are and I want to get rid of it lol.
I believe we clipped the white wire behind the gauges to get the pointer light off. I'll find out for absolutely certain (hopefully tomorrow) and let you know. I tell 'ya though, if the lights were just a bit brighter, I swear these gauges would be OEM look....!

Sorry again for the delay in response guys.....

Now, if y'all could just help me a bit more with this little jewel of an issue: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...long-drive-hot-start-car-dies-every-time.html

Last edited:

CobraMac

Established Member
Man, I'm sorry guys. For whatever reason, my email notifications aren't working, so I'm not sure when there's been updates to threads I've either started or am participating in.

I did call and spoke with Aaron at Speedhut. He's a totally cool guys who spent a good fifteen minutes on the phone with me.

First, it's important to know that my setup is connected through the dimmer switch so that the gauge lights can be adjusted brighter/dimmer along with the dash lights using the factory dimmer nob. Long story short, there is no way to adjust the lighting by making some random adjustment(s) to the gauges. Unfortunately, from what Aaron said, it's not uncommon for the dimmer switch to be supplying only 8-10 volts of electricity vs. the 12 volts that the gauges are supposed to be fed. As a possible fix, he suggested I should disconnect the connection point of my gauges from the dimmer and instead, connect them directly into the lights. From the sound of it, this would be my most likely full 12 volt source.

However, if the above did not work, there is a separate dimmer that can be purchased through them. I honestly forgot the price of it, but I don't remember it being much. Honestly, since speaking with Aaron, I've been unable to take a volt meter to my gauges, so I don't know (exactly) what they're being fed, power wise. Work has owned me. So I'll have to wait until a later time to deal with this issue.

I believe we clipped the white wire behind the gauges to get the pointer light off. I'll find out for absolutely certain (hopefully tomorrow) and let you know. I tell 'ya though, if the lights were just a bit brighter, I swear these gauges would be OEM look....!

Sorry again for the delay in response guys.....

Now, if y'all could just help me a bit more with this little jewel of an issue: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...long-drive-hot-start-car-dies-every-time.html

That makes total sense! Mine are connected through just a normal 12volt source and not the dimmer. They are just as bright as the normal dash lights. :rockon:

And thanks for double checking for me...that'd be awesome!

whiplash306

Established Member
That makes total sense! Mine are connected through just a normal 12volt source and not the dimmer. They are just as bright as the normal dash lights. :rockon:

And thanks for double checking for me...that'd be awesome!

Alright Mac, I went out and double checked my gauges with what my tuner just now confirmed. He said he "believes" it was the white wire coming OUT FROM THE GAUGE that we clipped that is the power source for the actual pointer/needle on the gauges. However, if you've got any concerns, perhaps call Aaron at Speedhut. His number was posted on I believe the very next post after my original post in this thread. But I'm fairly certain that is the power feed for the pointer/needle.

Hey, if you wouldn't mind sir, at your convenience, would you please take a night shot of your gauges along with your OEM dash gauges. I'd like to see the difference in lighting levels. Also, again at your convenience and if you'd humor me, take a volt meter and measure the volts being fed to your gauges. Aaron at Speedhut said the proper place to do that is at the little black power box behind the gauges that has a white and black wire to it. I'm curious to know if your getting the full 12 volts and if so, what it looks like. When I return from vacation, I'll measure the voltage to my gauges as a comparison. Thanks in advance.

Jefe

Established Member
mine look the same, and my boost gauge is off....i need to send it in and get the lighting issue remedied.
please post back with what you hear from them
How far off? When you turn key to acc does it sit perfectly on 0? If not call Speedhut and they will tell you how to adjust it with a series of button pushes. My boost gauge was reading 6-7 the first few weeks and Vacuum was right at 21-22 so I thought I hooked it up wrong. But when I turn to ACC it sat at 2-3 psi
Long story short, there is no way to adjust the lighting by making some random adjustment(s) to the gauges
Thats what I thought

And same here on the wire, just leave it unhooked and the needle wont illuminate. Matches stock much better. Cant remember what color it was though

Hard to get good pics of the gauges at night. The Speedhuts are just a tad dimmer green but it looks worse in the pic:

DSCI10393-1.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
Didnt know you could change the LED brightness, sweet!

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
anyone have their phone number, i'd love to be able to calibrate my boost gauge without sending it in

CobraMac

Established Member
Alright Mac, I went out and double checked my gauges with what my tuner just now confirmed. He said he "believes" it was the white wire coming OUT FROM THE GAUGE that we clipped that is the power source for the actual pointer/needle on the gauges. However, if you've got any concerns, perhaps call Aaron at Speedhut. His number was posted on I believe the very next post after my original post in this thread. But I'm fairly certain that is the power feed for the pointer/needle.

Hey, if you wouldn't mind sir, at your convenience, would you please take a night shot of your gauges along with your OEM dash gauges. I'd like to see the difference in lighting levels. Also, again at your convenience and if you'd humor me, take a volt meter and measure the volts being fed to your gauges. Aaron at Speedhut said the proper place to do that is at the little black power box behind the gauges that has a white and black wire to it. I'm curious to know if your getting the full 12 volts and if so, what it looks like. When I return from vacation, I'll measure the voltage to my gauges as a comparison. Thanks in advance.

Yahhh it is the white wire! I did it on my bottom gauge...now I just need to on my top on (as you will see in the pics haha) and I didn't want to yank of the panel and shove it all back in cuz last time it took me like 30 mins to fix cuz I screwed it up! But I know for a fact I'm getting full 12 volts because I used my voltmeter when I hooked it up originally!

Here's the pics of mine...as you can see it's pretty much just as bright as the main gauges.....and to the guy who posted that you can adjust the brightness of the gauge that is incorrect...what that "brightness adjustment" does is adjust the brightness of the red light when it comes on (for whatever level you have it set to come on at). So it does not adjust the background coloring of the gauges.

DSCN0849.jpg

Jefe

Established Member
I hated that glow around the ring. So glad I left that wire unhooked

black 10th vert

Established Member
CobraMac, thanks for posting that comparison pic! I have always hated that glowing red ring (bezel reflection) that the needle creates, and have always wondered how it would look with the needle not lit. It appears to be totally stock looking that way! I'm definitely doing this while it's off the road this winter. I have to admit, though, I am not looking forward to pulling the dash back apart, and tracing the wiring again, though.

For those interested in retaining the needle backlighting, but want it to be not as bright, there was a writeup on here last year, where you could wire in some parallel resistors inline with that white wire to dim it down. I think the Speedhut guy actually posted the directions how to do it, but I can't find my bookmark for it. I had actually bought the resistors, just never took the time to do it.

Last edited:

CobraMac

Established Member
CobraMac, thanks for posting that comparison pic! I have always hated that glowing red ring (bezel reflection) that the needle creates, and have always wondered how it would look with the needle not lit. It appears to be totally stock looking that way! I'm definitely doing this while it's off the road this winter. I have to admit, though, I am not looking forward to pulling the dash back apart, and tracing the wiring again, though.

For those interested in retaining the needle backlighting, but want it to be not as bright, there was a writeup on here last year, where you could wire in some parallel resistors inline with that white wire to dim it down. I think the Speedhut guy actually posted the directions how to do it, but I can't find my bookmark for it. I had actually bought the resistors, just never took the time to do it.

You're welcome buddy, no problem! Yahhh it looks wayyy better without the needle lit up! I'm about to get rid of the light on the other one too...but like you I HATE getting back into all that wiring and trying to put the panel back in again...its the worsttt.

black 10th vert

Established Member
You're welcome buddy, no problem! Yahhh it looks wayyy better without the needle lit up! I'm about to get rid of the light on the other one too...but like you I HATE getting back into all that wiring and trying to put the panel back in again...its the worsttt.

You are just fortunate that you don't have the Autometer cluster bezel with 2 more gauges to deal with, when removing that section.;-) Just makes it all the more fun...:rollseyes After seeing yours, though, I have to do it, because I hate driving my car at night with the "Christmas like" display going on!:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread