Spec & McLeod RST clutch users, need some feedback

01bluesnake

Established Member
So, even after the clutch line upgrade, i've had the pedal get soft and almost get stuck to the floor after 7300rpm on shifts. I don't want to destroy my trans from improper clutch disengagements while trying to utilize the CJ mani either. I know the main issue is the soft pressure plate, so looking at getting a clutch that is reasonably priced, has close to stock pedal feel and has low or no chatter(full face disc). I also want a clutch that can take some power in case i decide to throw a power adder into the mix. I've been looking at the Spec 2 for its ability to handle 630ft lbs of torque, but also like the Spec 3+ with it being a full face design while handling massive torque at 875ft lbs, just afraid it may shock the drivetrain to hard and have a heavy clutch pedal. I will also be installing a new Spec steel flywheel at this time. Another clutch i was looking at was the McLeod RST since holding ability would be similar to the sec 2 and priced about the same area. I have dealt with twin disc clutch setups in the past and haven't been a fan of them due to noise/ disc chatter and how the engagement quality for normal driving were. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks :beer:

twistedneck

Established Member
i have the stage 2+, it only chatters if very cold and then only for the first few engagements and the chatter is super minial between 1500-1700 rpm. 99% of the time no chatter. I have a friend with the stage 3 he gets a lot more chatter than i do.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Thanks. I haven't heard anything bad about the RST either, but previous older twin disc ive driven sucked which is why i don't want to rule out the RST. I know the spec 3 would be chatter prone due to the puck style design which is why i want to try and stay full face disc. I don't mind if minimal chatter as i have had many aftermarket clutch's, but ive been spoiled by the stock clutch in my '12 lol. I'll have to check out the 2+, i was just looking at the stage 2

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I have the McLeod RXT with the aluminum flywheel and upgraded clutch line. It has a nice light pedal effort, and very smooth. It does grab a lot quicker, but that's typical for most aftermarket clutches.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I have an rst in mine and it chatters at idle not much but noticeable. I also get chatter only in 4th gear between 1700-1900 rpm. Pedal is actually lighter than stock and drives really nice and smooth. The one thing I'm not a fan of is the shuttering on take off when regular daily driving. Doesn't always happen but gets super annoying when it does. I've heard bad things about spec in the past reason y I didn't go with them but I'm sure ull be good with either one.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I have a spec2+ doesn't chatter at all great clutch firmer pedal but no to firm, handles my 622 hp with no problem. I Recommend when you upgrade your clutch, upgrade to a high performance throw out bearing like the 1 exedy makes. The stock throwout bearing is not engineered to push on the stronger fingers of an aftermarket clutch!

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I have a spec2+ doesn't chatter at all great clutch firmer pedal but no to firm, handles my 622 hp with no problem. I Recommend when you upgrade your clutch, upgrade to a high performance throw out bearing like the 1 exedy makes. The stock throwout bearing is not engineered to push on the stronger fingers of an aftermarket clutch!

With the McLeod it actually takes less pressure to push the fingers down!! Hence softer pedal feel.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I reused the stock throwout bearing! Hey Ryan I think I'm Gonna go with a tremec soon. I'm gonna have Eric at Jpc email me a quote. what are some of the options other then the 2:97 1st gear that your recommend? Im already fixed on 4:10's for the rear!

01bluesnake

Established Member
I have an rst in mine and it chatters at idle not much but noticeable. I also get chatter only in 4th gear between 1700-1900 rpm. Pedal is actually lighter than stock and drives really nice and smooth. The one thing I'm not a fan of is the shuttering on take off when regular daily driving. Doesn't always happen but gets super annoying when it does. I've heard bad things about spec in the past reason y I didn't go with them but I'm sure ull be good with either one.

That's what I was afraid of with the twin disc, typically street manners aren't that nice and are noisy. Definitely appreciate the input.

I really think I'm going to check out the spec 2+ some more, don't know how I overlooked it earlier. I've had, and installed many spec clutch setups and have always had good feedback on them. I'll have to do some research about the throw out bearing from Exedy vs stock. Thanks

Mr. Anderson

Established Member
I've had both the spec stage 3 and now have the RXT, the spec was more of a on/off switch with added pedal pressure. the RXT feels stock. both had a little chatter for the first 750 miles. my spec 3 failed me at the track after two outings. clutch material fused to the pressure plate and flywheel. the RXT is still going strong. my 2 cents is don't waste the time and money in buying two clutches, do it right the first time and save yourself the money and time, expecially if your installing it yourself.

Last edited:

hopony

Established Member
Had 3 spec stage 3 clutches in another car they felt like stock and had no chatter but did not last with 600 rwtq.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I reused the stock throwout bearing! Hey Ryan I think I'm Gonna go with a tremec soon. I'm gonna have Eric at Jpc email me a quote. what are some of the options other then the 2:97 1st gear that your recommend? Im already fixed on 4:10's for the rear!

I think that's all your gonna need!!! I got mine with all internals treated but I'm only making 450-460ish rwhp so I kinda over did it just wanted to do it once after blowing the stock one 3 times. Your gonna love it!!!

acrbill

Established Member
I had a RST in my manual 2011 and I liked it a bunch more than the Ram HD I had in before it because it had a super heavy pedal . Make sure you get the proper flywheel for the RST though since the stocker won't work and I had an Exedy cro-mo which was also not compatible with the RST.

I have a new in box clutch slave if you need it when you upgrade.

twistedneck

Established Member
On my spec I opted for the aluminum flywheel and the billet pressure plate. Not sure if that matters. I've launched it hard on drag radials many times, raced it 5 times in a row w/ only a few min between.. no issues what so ever with the stage 2+ and stock throw out bearing. I didn't know about the exedy one.. dang!

also I spoke with the Tremec engineers at length today they were out at Woodward and they had a lot of good things to say about our MT82 - except it simply very small and can't hold the torque of the magnum (mt82 stands for 82mm shaft spacing vs. the 87mm on the Magnum) and the gear width is much wider on the magnum hence 700 lb-ft and if you use the alu flywheel and light weight clutch the syncros are under a lot less stress.

When I toast my MT-82 I'm getting that Magnum kit from JPC - and the new Drive shaft.. also you need to re program the speed part of your tune. finally, the Magnum does not require the ultra expensive dual clutch fluid that the MT82 does.. But they did say if you want to stick with MT82, send it to liberty for a re-build.

Back to topic, you are talking about two very nice clutch setups and don't think you could go wrong with either. But my pal said avoid the spec twin.. the singles are fine.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Thanks for the response's everyone. I think i'm doing the Spec 2+, seems to be what im looking for. I'll update the thread once i get it in and some little miles on it.

Users who are viewing this thread