Spec 3+ vs. DFX

Biggieman

03-04 parts for sale
Established Member
Alright fellas, I'm about to buy a new clutch and am just looking for any last minute advice before I pull the trigger.

I know the spec 3+ is more popular on this board, but know a few guys running the DFX that love it. Both can handle 600+ no problem, so what would YOU do if you were me?

Anyone care to steer me towards one?
And yes, I did search but found way more info on the spec than I did on the DFX.

Thanks
Jon

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I have the DFX, and LOVE it! And I highly recommend it. This is a NICE clutch! One of the things that I love most about it is the light pedal effort. It's much lighter than stock, making the car easier and more pleasurable to drive.

I've had the clutch in for 4K miles without any issues. Chatter is minimal, and is pretty much eliminated once you become adjusted to driving with the clutch.

When it's time to replace the DFX, I'll definitely be buying another one.

Biggieman

03-04 parts for sale
Established Member
good info! i have a centerforce dual friction and LOVE the light pedal - ive heard the DFX has a similar feel.

thanks PWORLDSTANG !
anyone else?

Fat-cat

Established Member
I had a buddy with a DFX and have sold allot of them threw my old work. They are hit and miss from what i can tell. My Buddies failed on him ... and about 1/3 of my customers said they didnt like them ... ( this was also on an assortment of vehicles )

I would and have gone Spec 3+ allot of guys running them and like them allot i had a spec 3 in my 94 storker can and it was nice chattered like a prick but good feel . The 3+ should be better on chatter and grip better so im all in

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
DFX=Garbage. Hated it from day one. Insane chatter, horrible for a daily driver, not to mention it crapped out on me on the way to work, 6k miles later, no track time or abuse. I will NEVER buy a CF product again. I also had a CF TOB that went bad at 200 miles. They get the big thumbs down from me. If you do a thorough search, you will find a large number of dissatisified DFX users. I wouldn't even consider CF.

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
My DFX has been great since day one, no problems at all. It does chatter some, but you are asking a single disc clutch to hold 700+ HP at the crank and move a 4,000lb car around. People get greedy with power bacuse it's so easy to turn these cars up, then bitch and compalin when a 700HP car doesnt drive like a 390HP car anymore.

IMO most problems with aftermarket clutches people have are due to improper installation/adjsutment.

Im sure either will work fine if properly adjusted and broken in/installed correctly.

But what do I know...

What clutch does Howard run?

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Testimonials shouldn't make anyone butt hurt. If your clutch works for you, terrific. Mine didn't on a daily driven bolt on only 460hp car. My opinion, the DFX is garbage.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
While I know some folks that are totally satisfied with the DFX, over the past year the Spec 3+ has out sold it 10 to 1. And that should mean something.......

Like the Spec 3, the DFX is a puck design, and there is a history of many folks that have had consistent clutch chatter thoughout the life of the clutch. The Spec 3+ is a true circular design with much more flywheel/pressure plate contact area and has a better reputation for street manners after it's totally broken it. Both can/will get the job done in most circumstances.

Last edited:

Biggieman

03-04 parts for sale
Established Member
Couldn't agree with you more Scott. I think I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this than it warrents - like you said, either one will be fine.

I know Tony just got the Spec, Howard went with the DFX.

I think I'm gonna give the Spec a shot. I'll make sure I get it set up right - Im sure I could always convince a certain certified ford tech with a few:beer::beer::beer::beer: to give me a hand with it!:rockon:

I'll let you know how I make out!

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Nobody is butt hurt, but alot of people on this forum don't know shit, and don't even work on their own car. Then they are the first ones to blame a manufacture or product due to their stupidity. Im NOT saying this is you, but these people are here.

Spec 3+ Looks great, and if its as good as everybody says it is, then it should be a rockin' clutch. I should be installing one in a pullied Cobra soon, if you can hold out untill then.

FormulaFord

Established Member
Just installed a Spec stage 3 (not 3+) and Fidanza flywheel. I think alot of problems with clutches are installment issues. I made sure everything was torqued down to specs and cleaned the hell out of the flywheel with brakecleen. Works great so far. No chatter and light pedal feel. I only have 45 miles on it so far and am going to break it in as instructed. Good luck!

Biggieman

03-04 parts for sale
Established Member
Nobody is butt hurt, but alot of people on this forum don't know shit, and don't even work on their own car. Then they are the first ones to blame a manufacture or product due to their stupidity. Im NOT saying this is you, but these people are here.

Spec 3+ Looks great, and if its as good as everybody says it is, then it should be a rockin' clutch. I should be installing one in a pullied Cobra soon, if you can hold out untill then.

Well said.

Sounds good buddy - Ill shoot ya a PM

Jon

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
They are hit and miss from what i can tell.

but alot of people on this forum don't know shit

IMO most problems with aftermarket clutches people have are due to improper installation/adjsutment.

I agree 100% with the statements above.

Biggieman, Issues with the DFX seem to be 100% hit or miss. Before I decided to pull the trigger on one, I spent hours researching clutches - thread, after thread, after thread. At the time, the most popular were the Spec 3 (not 3+), followed by the DFX. A lot of the guys who have had issues with their DFX went to the Spec and were happy. But those that didn't have any issues were also happy and content with their DFX.

A lot of the failures happening were due in part to improper installation, and improper clutch adjustment. My clutch is adjusted properly with my Fiore Clutch Quadrant and Firewall Adjuster, and my clutch was installed correctly so I've been fine.

While researching, I've came across threads where guys with just an upper pulley and stock clutch come into a thread and say 'The DFX is junk', when they're obviously still on the stock clutch and have NO real world experience with the clutch in which they're speaking of. This is the kind of info that spreads like a wildfire. It's fine to offer input in a thread based on other peoples experiences, but you can only say so much about a product you don't have any actual experience with yourself.

With that being said, my experience with the DFX has been great. I couldn't be happier with the clutch and will buy another when the day comes.

Compared to the DFX, the Spec 3+ is definitely the favorite, and has a better history in terms of longevity and reliability.

But In my honest opinion, you can't go wrong with either. The DFX has been a well-mannered street friendly clutch for me, and I couldn't ask for more. And the Spec 3+ has received rave reviews like no other on this forum and over on modularfords. Like IronTerp said, that is for a reason - people love it.

Here's a very good video on the install of the 3+, along with some unbiased reviews and commentary on it in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.theddddirectory.com/video_vault.php

Whatever clutch you decide to go with, good luck with it.

:beer:

midtex01gt

Established Member
Well I just installed a Spec 3+ LAST NIGHT and it hasn't chattered yet. But I need to adjust it so that it doesn't grab 2 inches off the floor! The centerforce had a really hard feel to it, and didn't grab nearly as well as the Spec......

Users who are viewing this thread