Spec 3+ Clutch

zachcrosen

Established Member
Anyone running this clutch? I have searched and get tons of hits on Spec but nothing saying specifically about the 3+ and its drivability. If you have this clutch, give me your review on it. AM has it now for $399 and Im thinking about picking it up this weekend but want some reviews and opinions. I have abuddy that has one in his Terminator and said he hated it until about 500 miles and then it has been a lot better and he loves it now. He is pushing over 650RWHP as well.

I have also looked at the McLeod RXT but its almost $600 more...

Also, what about a new TOB? Who makes them and who has had theirs replaced and with what?

Thanks
Zach

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I have this clutch in a tremec its a great clutch, takes longer to break in, like 1000 miles but it grabs like a mf.. I recommend it for any boosted application. 875 ft lb of torque capable. If your not boosted then i recommend the 2+, i had one of those to in my mt-82. Spec 3+ is drivable on the street and it loves load. Its quiet and chatter free!

Last edited:

zachcrosen

Established Member
Thanks blackbeast. I am VMP TVS supercharged at around 654/600 with 15# of boost!! I am looking to build the motor and up the boost a few # as well.

90coupe5oh

Established Member
The 3+ is a great clutch, way different then the 3 that people mistake it for. It's a full face clutch unlike the 3 which is a puck clutch, meaning no chatter. I've had the 3+ in 3 or 4 different cars and loved it.

zachcrosen

Established Member
AM is selling it for $399 and I'm trying to find out good info to see if it's worth saving $600 over the McLeod!

13DIB5.0

Established Member
I have it in my Paxton car, grabs well but not happy with how far up the engagement is, plus on a boosted car it well cuase problems with the mt82 down the road, thinking about swapping mine out for the rxt to save the tranny

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
I have it in my Paxton car, grabs well but not happy with how far up the engagement is, plus on a boosted car it well cuase problems with the mt82 down the road, thinking about swapping mine out for the rxt to save the tranny

Care to expand on why this clutch would harm the MT82 down the road compared to a RST/RXT twin disk setup?

-Nick

corysmach1

Established Member
The 3+ is a great clutch, way different then the 3 that people mistake it for. It's a full face clutch unlike the 3 which is a puck clutch, meaning no chatter. I've had the 3+ in 3 or 4 different cars and loved it.

Did you run the spec 3+ on your 5.0 with spray? I just need a good clutch that will hold 7700rpm power shifts and 6500 2 step launches.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Care to expand on why this clutch would harm the MT82 down the road compared to a RST/RXT twin disk setup?

-Nick

He's saying any clutch with the grabbing force of this clutch and the torque of a boosted car will break down the mt-82 sooner then the average clutch used with the mt-82! In other words the sheer shock of the grabbing force will not be good for a stock mt-82. Where as the tremec handles it with ease!

RFM50

Established Member
I have the 3+ and absolutely love it. It does take some time to break in but so will any other clutch. As far as how close to the top it lets out is the same as any other good race clutch. I have had this clutch in now for about 6k miles with a lot power and the mt82 is holding up fine. It has great street maners as well.

corysmach1

Established Member
I have the 3+ and absolutely love it. It does take some time to break in but so will any other clutch. As far as how close to the top it lets out is the same as any other good race clutch. I have had this clutch in now for about 6k miles with a lot power and the mt82 is holding up fine. It has great street maners as well.

What do you shift at? I need a clutch that will hold 7700 rpm shifts all day. Stock prrssure plate is just junk. If the Spec 3+ will do it I will get one. It saves me tons of money vs a twin disc.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
What flywheel would you run with this?

Would like to know also since I've heard the factory FW is a dual mass unit.

What do you shift at? I need a clutch that will hold 7700 rpm shifts all day. Stock prrssure plate is just junk. If the Spec 3+ will do it I will get one. It saves me tons of money vs a twin disc.

+1

grnenvy

Established Member
In my 03 Cobra the Center force duel friction was the most street able and the best clutch I have ever had in a performance car but it can't handle Big pwr. If your making more then 650rwhp you may want something else. I had the Spec 3+ and it holds a lot of pwr but it's no where as nice as the CF on the street. If u can find a clutch that has the same manners as the CF but can hold like the 3+ your in.

zachcrosen

Established Member
I would plan on a spec flywheel. I'm seriously considering buying tomorrow based on what I've read here for the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread