SPE Motorsport = Trashcan Company

Torchy

Established Member
Hi All,

So had an issue with my SPE Idler making noise. Contacted SPE and they’re basically doing nothing about it. This was a new part, bought directly from them not even a month old.

Has less than 200 miles on it. SPE told me this noise is normal operation and nothing is wrong with it. I sent them this video and they still stand behind their claim.

They told me that these belts slip at idle and that’s what causes it. Are you kidding me?? I’m astonished at the complete crap they’ve made up to say that this is normal. They told me it was my belt (no it was new), they told me the pulley requires belt dressing (no it does not) then they told me it was the Whipple Tensioner, (no because I put the stock one on and that also changed nothing). They finally told me, after I overcame all their objections that it's just normal operation.

I have all emails proving all of this.

I then asked them about their customer satisfaction warranty and they sidestepped the question and basically wouldn’t honor it. Oh and all this spanned 4+ weeks because they would not talk to me over the phone about it.

Been building cars for 25 years and almost never came across a company this unreasonable. Insane to me over a $140 part.

Never buying a SPE part again.

Before and after vid

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
I can't stand this. Thankfully the only time I've had to go to customer service for aftermarket parts on my car, the company was great. Sent new hardware and mounting parts, and when that didn't work and I wanted to remove the part and go back to stock (my opinion that the part added too much NVH), they gave me a 75% credit for the next part I wanted to buy.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you try to do a charge back on your card? This usually gets their attention. I just went through this last month with a corvette part that took 6 months to ship until I called my bank.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Did you try to do a charge back on your card? This usually gets their attention. I just went through this last month with a corvette part that took 6 months to ship until I called my bank.
I tried. Chase said an automotive professional would have to write a letter backing up my claims. No one in the automotive world is going to do so.

Sent from my motorola razr plus 2023 using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Hi All,

So had an issue with my SPE Idler making noise. Contacted SPE and they’re basically doing nothing about it. This was a new part, bought directly from them not even a month old.

Has less than 200 miles on it. SPE told me this noise is normal operation and nothing is wrong with it. I sent them this video and they still stand behind their claim.

They told me that these belts slip at idle and that’s what causes it. Are you kidding me?? I’m astonished at the complete crap they’ve made up to say that this is normal. They told me it was my belt (no it was new), they told me the pulley requires belt dressing (no it does not) then they told me it was the Whipple Tensioner, (no because I put the stock one on and that also changed nothing). They finally told me, after I overcame all their objections that it's just normal operation.

I have all emails proving all of this.

I then asked them about their customer satisfaction warranty and they sidestepped the question and basically wouldn’t honor it. Oh and all this spanned 4+ weeks because they would not talk to me over the phone about it.

Been building cars for 25 years and almost never came across a company this unreasonable. Insane to me over a $140 part.

Never buying a SPE part again.

Before and after vid

That sucks man. Sounds like it shipped with bad bearings.

I know not ideal, but you could get the bearings pressed out, match up the size and reinstall some quality units. See if that fixes it.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I tried. Chase said an automotive professional would have to write a letter backing up my claims. No one in the automotive world is going to do so.

Sent from my motorola razr plus 2023 using Tapatalk
lol wtf is that bs response by Chase. They’re pretty much telling you they want someone else to do their legwork.

CVO110

Established Member
lol wtf is that bs response by Chase. They’re pretty much telling you they want someone else to do their legwork.
I had to throw their $500 fuel rails/lines in the garbage. Amy got involved and I'm not sure she even knows what a car is. The fittings on their lines would not seal. I bought two sets and same thing. So I reinstalled the factory fuel lines and everything worked perfectly.

Torchy

Established Member
I had to throw their $500 fuel rails/lines in the garbage. Amy got involved and I'm not sure she even knows what a car is. The fittings on their lines would not seal. I bought two sets and same thing. So I reinstalled the factory fuel lines and everything worked perfectly.
Oh boy was that for the gt500? I have their rails and am putting them on this weekend. Bought them, pully and idler all like 6 months ago. They've sat new in a box ever since then.

More deets on what happened with the rails?

Yeah there's even more silly stuff Amy told me. All completely wrong.

CVO110

Established Member
Oh boy was that for the gt500? I have their rails and am putting them on this weekend. Bought them, pully and idler all like 6 months ago. They've sat new in a box ever since then.

More deets on what happened with the rails?

Yeah there's even more silly stuff Amy told me. All completely wrong.
It was for a GT500. I did ported blower/billet lid/throttle body/injectors, etc. I thought while I was in there I might as well upgrade the fuel rails and lines. I could not get the fittings to seal properly - no matter how careful and diligent I was. I did not strip any threads. SPE was zero help. So I went ahead and bought a second set of brand new lines. Same thing - wouldn't seal properly. I think the tolerances of the fittings they use were garbage. I know of other people this happened to also. So I threw them in garbage and installed factory lines and rails. Problem solved.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For $140, I would've just ordered a different pulley and avoided them moving forward. No use getting worked up over such a trivial amount.

Torchy

Established Member
It was for a GT500. I did ported blower/billet lid/throttle body/injectors, etc. I thought while I was in there I might as well upgrade the fuel rails and lines. I could not get the fittings to seal properly - no matter how careful and diligent I was. I did not strip any threads. SPE was zero help. So I went ahead and bought a second set of brand new lines. Same thing - wouldn't seal properly. I think the tolerances of the fittings they use were garbage. I know of other people this happened to also. So I threw them in garbage and installed factory lines and rails. Problem solved.
Dang man. Thanks for letting me know. Which fittings had issues exactly?

Torchy

Established Member
For $140, I would've just ordered a different pulley and avoided them moving forward. No use getting worked up over such a trivial amount.
Yeah more just surprised at how vehemently they defended their product that failed.

The only other options on the market are $300. The money part wasn't a big deal. I just want people to know what they get with SPE.

Torchy

Established Member

Touchy does it have 2 bearings in it or 1?​

Kinda hard to tell but I think it has 2. It's already off the car, might have a shop put a new bearing in it but not sure if I'll continue to run it. If I don't get slip I'll leave it off.

Torchy

Established Member
And the trashcan company strikes again.

I CANNOT MAKE THIS UP.

Got around to installing ported blower with all of SPE's fuel rails, lines and fittings (had bought them months ago) and they all leaked!

The fittings from y-block to lines, the 90's & 45, and the fittings from back of rail to SPE lines, ALL LEAK.

I did, low torque, medium, high and last ditch effort, crazy crank on them to get them to seal and doesn't matter, they all leak.

So now taking it all back apart, buying more new stuff from somewhere else and throwing all the SPE stuff in the trash just like you. Unbelievable.

01yellercobra

Established Member

And the trashcan company strikes again.

I CANNOT MAKE THIS UP.

Got around to installing ported blower with all of SPE's fuel rails, lines and fittings (had bought them months ago) and they all leaked!

The fittings from y-block to lines, the 90's & 45, and the fittings from back of rail to SPE lines, ALL LEAK.

I did, low torque, medium, high and last ditch effort, crazy crank on them to get them to seal and doesn't matter, they all leak.

So now taking it all back apart, buying more new stuff from somewhere else and throwing all the SPE stuff in the trash just like you. Unbelievable.

Just curious, but after your experience and seeing this post, why did you install them?

Torchy

Established Member
Had bought the parts 6 months ago so already had them with no recourse.

So I can try them out, see if they work and roll or pre-emptively spend another $500. Figured I'd try to save the money first.

Also assumed maybe the other dude got a bad batch and mine are ok. Nope

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i had a ton of bad fuel line crap from fragola years back.

A couple drops of oil before tightening did seal up some of them. On others adding a conical seal did the trick - those are pretty cheap and easy, just keep some extras so you can replace them if you take those pieces apart later, theyre pretty thin and easy to damage

Users who are viewing this thread